UK Guest Purchasing Alcohol

dave&di

Well, mine is especially useful for my trips to the US. I'm on the Magical Express before everybody on the same flight as me has cleared immigration!
Show off! ;) I can't stand the Immigration line, after a 9 hr flight and an 18 hour day, I'm at the end of my tether after standing in a snaked line for 45 mins!

LucyK

I'm glad I always clear customs at either ATL or DTW so I can go straight to ME! Clearing customs at MCO must be a nightmare!

StarWarsGirl

Only 2 years, 9 months, and 22 days until I can legally drink. ;) Maybe I should visit all of you in the UK!

I don't get why they don't accept a UK driver's license. If I had a passport, I certainly wouldn't want to carry it with me. A driver's license shows who you are, a government issued it, so who cares?

StarWarsGirl

Which describes the majority of liquor laws in this country.

They are so weird. That, and states set their own laws, so I have to check where I'm travelling to see if my parents are allowed to give me alcohol (100% legal in MD). I also don't understand why it's 21 and not 18.

Goofyernmost

Know what? I've been able to drink now for 44 years and, frankly, it has lost it's appeal. It turns out it's expensive to buy, causes you to do things that if you were thinking clearly you would never do, can absolutely destroy your liver (not to mention your onions), wreck relationships, cause accidental deaths and cause you to feel like shredded underwear the next morning. I found that none of those things were something that I classified as FUN. Who knew?

flynnibus

Premium Member
They are so weird. That, and states set their own laws, so I have to check where I'm travelling to see if my parents are allowed to give me alcohol (100% legal in MD). I also don't understand why it's 21 and not 18.

It's not legal for your parents for you to give it to you. It's up to the states because a of our constitutional concept of limited government. It's 21 due to pressures/lobbying to try to reduce traffic fatalities.

Just like there are pressures to raise driving ages and increase restrictions on young drivers

The Mom

Premium Member
It's not legal for your parents for you to give it to you. It's up to the states because a of our constitutional concept of limited government. It's 21 due to pressures/lobbying to try to reduce traffic fatalities.

Just like there are pressures to raise driving ages and increase restrictions on young drivers

Actually, MD law has an exception to the general US law. Someone underage can drink as long as he/she is in a private residence, and is given the alcohol by an immediate family, usually a parent.

So yes, a parent can give you a drink at home (or in any home, if a parent is with you.) But not in a restaurant, bar, etc. in MD. But it is allowed in bars, etc in 11 states - as long as the parent is present.

Florida is not one of the 29 states that allow it.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, MD law has an exception to the general US law. Someone underage can drink as long as he/she is in a private residence, and is given the alcohol by an immediate family, usually a parent.
]

Yes - a very narrow exception :)

As someone who grew up in maryland- it's a non factor :)

StarWarsGirl

It was 18 in most states when I was 18 but a combination of Ronald Reagan (father was an Alcoholic) and a big push about drunk drivers (MADD for the most part) that change the laws to 21. The way it was done was simply if a state didn't raise the drinking to 21 they didn't get federal highway funds. Right now a state could go back to 18 if they wanted to but they would lose their highway funds.

I remember my history teacher telling me that. Which is why in Puerto Rico, you can legally drink at 18. They obviously don't care.

StarWarsGirl

Don't get me started on that. Getting my license was a pain in the butt. MD has really strict licensing laws. Some are good, like requiring drivers ed (I loved pointing out where my parents were wrong) but some things, like requiring a school attendance form if you're under 16 (the age for a permit is 15 and 9 months) is...frustrating.

StarWarsGirl

Which is why StarWars Girl mentioned that she has to check whether or not it is legal in another state when she is traveling.

Always do. Better to be safe than sorry. I checked with my high school nurse on MD's law since her husband is a police officer. She confirmed it. I also don't drink within 24 hours of driving just to be on the safe side. So if my parents drink, I'm allowed to at home.

I think I personally benefitted from it because my mom taught me how to drink (always drink with food in your stomach, drink a glass of water, don't mix certain drinks). I don't see myself being a huge drinker, but I enjoy a small glass every now and then.

StarWarsGirl

Know what? I've been able to drink now for 44 years and, frankly, it has lost it's appeal. It turns out it's expensive to buy, causes you to do things that if you were thinking clearly you would never do, can absolutely destroy your liver (not to mention your onions), wreck relationships, cause accidental deaths and cause you to feel like shredded underwear the next morning. I found that none of those things were something that I classified as FUN. Who knew?

Benefit of not being able to hold your liquor...after one, you're done. Or in my case, asleep.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Always do. Better to be safe than sorry. I checked with my high school nurse on MD's law since her husband is a police officer. She confirmed it. I also don't drink within 24 hours of driving just to be on the safe side. So if my parents drink, I'm allowed to at home. I've also done it in SC on a private residence.

I think I personally benefitted from it because my mom taught me how to drink (always drink with food in your stomach, drink a glass of water, don't mix certain drinks). I don't see myself being a huge drinker, but I enjoy a small glass every now and then.

I'd just leave it alone at this point. SC does not have the same law that MD does. There is no curtilage exception in SC, and it is considered child abuse or "providing to a minor"...even though you are no longer a minor, both charges that you really would rather avoid. Your parents quite clearly broke the law in that state, and would be held to task if it was found out, private residence or not.

That being said, I grew up in Germany and sipped wine and beer at fests we attended, this is not criticism...just pointing out...for comparison, I was under 10 at the time.

The point that liqueur laws very state by state has already been well made. I am aware of MD laws (and how they vary) as I opened stores there and we served liquor / beer / wine so I had to deal with licensing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom