UK Guest Purchasing Alcohol

StarWarsGirl

I'd just leave it alone at this point. SC does not have the same law that MD does. There is no curtilage exception in SC, and it is considered child abuse or "providing to a minor"...even though you are no longer a minor, both charges that you really would rather avoid. Your parents quite clearly broke the law in that state, and would be held to task if it was found out, private residence or not.

Hmm...the website says differently, but I'll take your word for it.

EDIT: Found it: "No provision of law prohibiting the use or possession of beer, wine, or alcoholic beverages by minors shall apply to any minor in the home of his parents or guardian or to any such beverage used for religious ceremonies or purposes so long as such beverage was legally purchased."

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Now that makes sense.

And yet a parent can purchase the liquor and give it to their 20 year old and they just go lalalalalala cause they are not selling to an underage passenger. I never understood why most lines just don't go to 18 years, they are at sea not in US.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hmm...the website says differently, but I'll take your word for it.

"the website"?

There are no exemptions granted in SC, none. If I'm wrong, please, provide a link, not "the website"...I had to sit through a 20 hour training session in Richland county on this crap. Not sure what "website" you are looking at, but I can tell you for a fact SC has no exemptions outside of the good graces of local / state law enforcement officers to ignore an infraction (good luck there).

In addition, there are states like GA do not prohibit consumption by those underage, but they will go after those who provided it who were of legal age to purchase (as there is again, no exemption in the state law)...

As I stated, I don't care that you had a drink, or that your parents bought it for you, it's a silly thing to me.

But, I'd leave it alone on here. It varies state by state.

StarWarsGirl

Fair enough.

I still wouldn't test it (not that I care)...my objection isn't based on supposition...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2007/05/18/met_128912.shtml (though that is GA, it's right on SC border...just presented as an example)

If the law changed, good.

It won't let me view the article, but I see it's from 2007. Changed since then. It's been a few years since I did it in SC (not before 2008, my parents didn't let me have a sip until 14, half a glass at 16, full glass at 18). I do it at home, infrequently. As in maybe once every 3 months.

I don't do it in FL, CA, HW, or anyplace where I know it's not legal.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It won't let me view the article, but I see it's from 2007. Changed since then. It's been a few years since I did it in SC (not before 2008, my parents didn't let me have a sip until 14, half a glass at 16, full glass at 18). I do it at home, infrequently. As in maybe once every 3 months.

I don't do it in FL, CA, HW, or anyplace where I know it's not legal.

Yes, I noted the same. Dunno if the law changed in 2008 or not, I'll take your word for it. Still, I wouldn't test it.

That being said, as I stated before (multiple times) I really don't care that you drink "underage"...I think the age laws are silly and actually encourage abuse at later ages.

I'll leave it at that.

DicksonGR

Original Poster
Know what? I've been able to drink now for 44 years and, frankly, it has lost it's appeal. It turns out it's expensive to buy, causes you to do things that if you were thinking clearly you would never do, can absolutely destroy your liver (not to mention your onions), wreck relationships, cause accidental deaths and cause you to feel like shredded underwear the next morning. I found that none of those things were something that I classified as FUN. Who knew?

I agree with everything you say above! I'm not the kind of person that will "overuse" alcohol though. I don't like the effect it has on me if I drink too much. I do however like the taste of some beers and spirits. This is why the whole carrying your passport thing is annoying for me. For example on day one, I go to Animal Kingdom and don't drink. Day two I go to Universal, have a beer, but don't need my passport as the driving license is sufficient. Day three, I go to Epcot where they sell the Grand Marnier things that I love, but because I don't have my passport as I don't want to risk getting it damaged or stolen, I don't get served, even though I have my Drivers Licence!

Now on the way back to the resort the next day I get pulled over by the police for a random check ... that same I.D. that was not accepted to prove my age by Disney, IS accepted by law enforcement. No passport needed!

Goofyernmost

I agree with everything you say above! I'm not the kind of person that will "overuse" alcohol though. I don't like the effect it has on me if I drink too much. I do however like the taste of some beers and spirits. This is why the whole carrying your passport thing is annoying for me. For example on day one, I go to Animal Kingdom and don't drink. Day two I go to Universal, have a beer, but don't need my passport as the driving license is sufficient. Day three, I go to Epcot where they sell the Grand Marnier things that I love, but because I don't have my passport as I don't want to risk getting it damaged or stolen, I don't get served, even though I have my Drivers Licence!

Now on the way back to the resort the next day I get pulled over by the police for a random check ... that same I.D. that was not accepted to prove my age by Disney, IS accepted by law enforcement. No passport needed!
Could be...I am rather unaffected by the passport thing, so it's hard to be objective. I will say this though, when I was in college I took a school sponsored tour of parts of Europe. We were told, in no uncertain terms, that we were to carry our passports with us at all time while in a country foreign to us. One never knows when or what might occur that a very positive ID and confirmation of legality might be needed.

It seems like if one can be in a park all day and never lose their room keys, money, camera, glasses and the like, it should be possible to carry a little flat, unobtrusive passport and not lose it! But, again, I am probably not very objective about that.

DicksonGR

Original Poster
Could be...I am rather unaffected by the passport thing, so it's hard to be objective. I will say this though, when I was in college I took a school sponsored tour of parts of Europe. We were told, in no uncertain terms, that we were to carry our passports with us at all time while in a country foreign to us. One never knows when or what might occur that a very positive ID and confirmation of legality might be needed.

It seems like if one can be in a park all day and never lose their room keys, money, camera, glasses and the like, it should be possible to carry a little flat, unobtrusive passport and not lose it! But, again, I am probably not very objective about that.

I can see your point, but for me it comes down to the fact that people don't "never" misplace or lose their room keys, money and cameras. I never have lost these things, but if they ever did go missing then there would be a far easier remedy than having to get to an embassy to obtain temporary travel documents. If I was in a country where it was mandatory to have it on you at all times then I would - no question. However, when my drivers licence is enough for official identification within Florida, then that's all I'm likely to carry. No point in risking losing it if you don't have to ...

Hot Lava

It was 18 in most states when I was 18 but a combination of Ronald Reagan (father was an Alcoholic) and a big push about drunk drivers (MADD for the most part) that change the laws to 21. The way it was done was simply if a state didn't raise the drinking to 21 they didn't get federal highway funds. Right now a state could go back to 18 if they wanted to but they would lose their highway funds.

This was a rotten end run around the constitution. Many forces (particularly MADD) wanted the drinking age lowered. To do it on the federal level would have required a constitutional amendment. Not wanting to go through that whole process (and with it likely to ultimately fail), Congress blackmailed (threat of withholding highway funding) the states into raising their drinking ages. A great example of how Congress abuses it Commerce Clause power.

Louisiana technically lowered their drinking age back down to 18 in the late 90s. The Supreme Court of LA struck down the 21 law as discriminatory. But then political forces re-stacked the LA SC deck and that same court then upheld the law. Of course, politics has nothing to do with any of this. :rolleyes:

Lot of states have exceptions for parents' purchases for their underage kids (with just as many variations). I see why a place would flat out refuse to serve anyone under 21, no matter the state law exceptions. Liquor licenses are vital to the survival of most restaurants/bars, and the headache of ABC enforcement far outweighs the small percentage of people looking to give their kids alcohol in a public place.

I_heart_Tigger

Yeah, mm/dd/yyyy is odd...

Agreed says this Canadian.

Also, I got ID'd at the Dolphin and at Sea World last month...which was quite nice at 40. The Dolphin accepted my Canadian drivers licence as proof, Sea World did not.

Canadians are all a little peeved at the Florida State ID laws at the moment since they recently announced that they will no longer allow Canadians to use their licence to drive a car and would be cracking down on anyone without an International drivers permit. Since a HUGE number of Canadians live in Florida for 3-6 months out of the year they were quite annoyed at the additional hassle involved.

Seems like they have since disregarded this since I know a few Canadians who have successfully shown their Canadian licence to the police with no problems (well no problems regarding the origin of their ID anyway).

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Try being born at the 07th day of the 31st month!

I don't drink but I do carry a copy of my passport while in Disney. I know it's not a valid document but I rather lose the copy than the real deal. When I'm offsite and I have to carry my passport I become paranoid with my documents and while I believe the lockers in Uni are safe, I'm not calm until I get my purse again. Havind the need for a Visa drives me to be super conscious of my documents because I don't want to be mistaken for an alien :confused:

Your birthday is the day after mine! (decades later though)

StarWarsGirl

Canadians are all a little peeved at the Florida State ID laws at the moment since they recently announced that they will no longer allow Canadians to use their licence to drive a car and would be cracking down on anyone without an International drivers permit. Since a HUGE number of Canadians live in Florida for 3-6 months out of the year they were quite annoyed at the additional hassle involved.

That sounds like a major headache just reading about it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom