UK Guest Purchasing Alcohol

Hot Lava

It is worse when you spend a significant amount of time in a place that uses the other format, and then you just get completely confused and cannot remember which is appropriate for which place.

I find it easiest to just write it like this: (0)4 July 2013

Goofyernmost

I certainly don't think it is needed, but in your examples you are showing an ID to establish WHO you are. For Alcohol purchases it's to verify how OLD you are. They usually, in my experience, in the days of yore, might ask for both feeling that no one would go to all the trouble to forge a drivers license and a birth certificate just to buy a beer. If the dates on the two are the same...bottoms up!

LucyK

My husband has been using his for the past two weeks in Disney and in Universal.
We found it quite comical on a few occasions when the staff member/ cast member turned round and said, 'so, you're born on the 8th day of the 20th month?'. One CM had to show it to her supervisor as she just did not understand the DOB even after we explained it goes day/month/year, not month/day/year. Trololol.
But it's been accepted everywhere no problems.
Try being born at the 07th day of the 31st month!

I don't drink but I do carry a copy of my passport while in Disney. I know it's not a valid document but I rather lose the copy than the real deal. When I'm offsite and I have to carry my passport I become paranoid with my documents and while I believe the lockers in Uni are safe, I'm not calm until I get my purse again. Havind the need for a Visa drives me to be super conscious of my documents because I don't want to be mistaken for an alien :confused:

dave&di

I always carry my passport, I have it in a travel wallet, I then tie that to the inside of my backpack. Unless I lose my backpack I don't see it being easy to lose my passport.

Now I've said that look out for a thread on my return in Sept moaning that I lost my passport! :oops:

Zman-ks

So i can hire a car and use my liscence as proof of ID @ WDW for travellers cheques but can't use it for ID at the same corporation to buy a beverage ???
75.gif

Thats crazy....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I guess it depends upon how you answer when someone asks you, "When were you born?" or "When is your birthday?"I usually reply "January 5th." I guess you would reply "The 5th of January " I don't add the year unless I must. ;)

I guess that makes sense. I'm used to either format, but if you are unaware of the difference (say, never dealt with format before and aware that it's used internationally)...then it can be extremely confusing.

Gmail also uses this format for their date search function on the online interface, which is also confusing (again, if you are unaware of it)...

I booked a Disney trip for an Australian friend a few months ago (it was easier for me to do it domestically, and cheaper, than for her to go through a Virgin package) and when I forwarded the documentation to her she freaked out thinking I got the dates wrong.

She forgot that the dates were in US format! It made for some interesting emails. <grin>

The Mom

Premium Member
I've gotten better at switching back and forth since doing more international travel. (empty nest syndrome)

I'm also happy that my son is in a time zone which has a 12 hour difference - I just have to remember AM or PM, and that he's a day ahead. I wish he had when he called us. ;)

Goofyernmost

I've gotten better at switching back and forth since doing more international travel. (empty nest syndrome)

I'm also happy that my son is in a time zone which has a 12 hour difference - I just have to remember AM or PM, and that he's a day ahead. I wish he had when he called us. ;)
That's how the U.S. military calendar works as well. But to avoid confusion the would do it like this...5 Jul 2013.

Nmoody1

As airline crew for a carrier that mostly flies to the US, a lot of places now no longer accept European driving licences as valid ID - particularly in California. I never understand the drama that people have about carrying around a passport, along as you keep it secured! Trust me, US border protection would not let you out stay your welcome! ;)

rob0519

So I've been hearing rumours recently that they are making us UK'rs carry our passports around the parks because they are no longer accepting UK driving licences when purchasing alcoholic beverages. Anyone hear anything about this?

If it's true then this is ridiculous! I'm not going to risk the document I need to get back home getting lost, damaged or stolen just so I can have a beer! Have they stopped accepting US licences too and if not then why pick on the British ones?

Thoughts? ...

Simple. If if comes down to needing your passport for identification to get alcohol and you choose not to carry your passport, don't drink alcohol. Problem solved. Hopefully, your information is incorrect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom