UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

jme

Raises the question how it got through security.

Did it? Those things have quite some range to them. Would be easy enough to keep in your backpack or whatever and fly it over from say... contemporary parking lot. Or possibly on the monorail and launch it from around there before the checkpoint - although its a bit more crowded and youd be more likely to be spotted.
But still, just because it flew past the security check, doesn't mean it launched past it.

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
The fact that it was directly over the station made me think it was Disney security-related, since it was positioned where it wouldn't likely hurt anyone if it crashed. But, then I saw that article re: DCA, which got me thinking about privately owned quadcopters.

I'd like to see one over River Country.
I bet someone at a Contemporary or BLT balcony could probably get to Tomorrowland without much difficulty. Probably from that Boardwalk cast parking, you could get some great video from EPCOT.

Imagine the versatility if it were solar powered.

Anyway, I'm sure Disney has all this under control....

Scuttle

And fall on people when they lose power or a command link, I use a camera drone to inspect antennas on towers - saves the cost of a climber (expensive) but I make D--- sure no one else is around and I'm out of its fall trajectory IF something happens.

I'ts only a matter of time before a surveilance drone falls out of the sky into a crowd and kills a few people. And then we will have the public debate we should have had in the first place before placing these into general service.

Drones have military utility and they also have utility in remote inspection and inspecting hazardous locations like train derailments involving HazMat because they can go where humans cannot safely go.

But there are also RISKS involved if the command link is severed or you have a motor failure and the long endurance ones also have fuel onboard along with blade tip velocities just under the speed of sound.

So you can have a 20-50 pound buzzsaw falling from the sky along with a gallon or so of avgas. It's not going to be pretty when it hits the ground especially if people are around.

The one I use is a gas powered RC helicopter with a video link it weighs about 10 pounds total and has a pint of nitromethane fuel onboard once again if it goes out of control you do not want to be where it hits even though its only a couple hundred feet up max.
Exactly!!! Sooner or later one of these will fall from the sky and will cause an uproar which is well warranted.

CDavid

Did it? Those things have quite some range to them. Would be easy enough to keep in your backpack or whatever and fly it over from say... contemporary parking lot. Or possibly on the monorail and launch it from around there before the checkpoint - although its a bit more crowded and youd be more likely to be spotted.
But still, just because it flew past the security check, doesn't mean it launched past it.

That's what i was thinking. Do these generally have sufficient range for someone to, for instance, launch from their Contemporary Resort room balcony and fly over at least the closer areas of the Magic Kingdom? Even if that's not the case here, it is potentially going to be a real problem in the future.

As others have said, the real controversy is going to emerge when someone does something like fly a drone over Main Street during a parade or fireworks, and the thing crashes into the crowd. At least Disney controls the land surrounding its parks in Florida; In California, it is surrounded by public and private property outside Disney's control.

PhotoDave219

1K just to show up, Generally 2-8K per day up here depending on height and difficulty, A lot of that fee is simply insurance.

This is why I use the RC helicopter if I can't get a good view with a telescope If a mount/antenna/cable is damaged then you need to hire a climber to fix it and there is a lot more demand for climbers than there are climbers.

I have some acquaintances who do high end commercial work and it's $5000/day and up.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Off topic but the videos of radio tower climbers are THE scariest thing I've ever seen. How much do those guys make?

It takes a certain kind of crazy to have that occupation. Nerves of steel, to say the least.

My cousin has done it for 15 years now. Yep, he's nuts.

Drones are scary enough... I wonder how disney is handling this situation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's what i was thinking. Do these generally have sufficient range for someone to, for instance, launch from their Contemporary Resort room balcony and fly over at least the closer areas of the Magic Kingdom? Even if that's not the case here, it is potentially going to be a real problem in the future.

As others have said, the real controversy is going to emerge when someone does something like fly a drone over Main Street during a parade or fireworks, and the thing crashes into the crowd. At least Disney controls the land surrounding its parks in Florida; In California, it is surrounded by public and private property outside Disney's control.

Some of the bigger quadcopters do have the range and you can always add addtional batteries, which of course are another dangerous component since these things run on Li-Po batteries and you are supposed to charge them in a fireproof sock because they can go into thermal runaway in charging and high rate discharge.

Somebody was terminally STUPID.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It takes a certain kind of crazy to have that occupation. Nerves of steel, to say the least.

My cousin has done it for 15 years now. Yep, he's nuts.

Drones are scary enough... I wonder how disney is handling this situation.

The guys I've used have all been certifiable and they have no concept of fear, The same kind of guys who would juggle chainsaws.

Soarin' Over Pgh

The guys I've used have all been certifiable and they have no concept of fear, The same kind of guys who would juggle chainsaws.

Yep! Exactly. LOL

I can't imagine disney is sitting back and letting this slide. I wonder what they will do so it doesn't happen again.

Isn't disney considered a no fly zone? Or just the parks? Wouldn't this also apply to drones (or is this a case of rules needing to be rewritten to include drones)??

PeterAlt

Raises the question how it got through security.
I'm sure they know, and cooperating even and exchanging information. How would they not know? And isn't it procedure to let them know of an operation being conducted on their property ahead of time?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Short range (no wayside) could be done from the Walk Around the World cul de sac. Perhaps.

With the various types available.. could even be done from off property.

- pre-programmed flight with GPS locator is common
- controlled flight with telemetry is possible over long distance
- controlled flight with live video can be done well over a mile and more with the right antenna on your ground station

POV RC model flying is an awesome hobby.. one too rich for my blood :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom