UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
Last night (1/19/14), we entered the MK around 7PM. After walking through the train station, I turned around to look at the train and saw a "drone" flying above the entrance/train station area.

It was already dark, so I couldn't really make out what it looked like, but it appeared to be a quadcopter (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadcopter) based on how it was moving, with three green lights and two red (I could have that backwards). It was maybe 2-3' in diameter.

Considering that it was dark, it was probably equipped with a night vision or infrared camera. It certainly appeared to be manually controlled from somewhere as opposed to being on a circuit/loop.

Anyone know exactly what it's currently used for, seen it, or have ideas for its expanded use? (e.g. crowd monitoring, security, practically painless X-S Tech transportation). Can Disney physically prevent private use?

In related "news"...
http://lakeforest-ca.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/did-government-drone-spy-on-disney-resort

Drone Reported Above Disney's California Adventure Park

drone.jpg
Drone illustration (Photo by L Barnwell via Shutterstock)
An employee of the Disney Resort said that a group of employees spotted a small drone hovering above Disney's California Adventure Park last week.

The anonymous employee told Lake Forest Patchthat a group of employees saw the 3-foot-long craft with propellers floating about 40 feet overhead. Some employees waved at it, because they assumed there was a camera on board. It had a flashing blue light, and the employee said, "It looked like a flying spider."

It reportedly happened around 7:30 a.m. last Friday, just a half-hour before the park opens to the public.

There isn't any official record of the drone sighting. An Anaheim police spokesman said he hadn't heard about any sightings. Disney disputes the claim that there was a drone. Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told Patch, "I was at work Friday ... [so] I would have known about it." She said Disney's security chief hadn't heard anything about it. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies declined to comment. The FAA wouldn't comment about whether it gave clearance to any craft to fly through the no-fly zone above Disneyland.

It's not clear what happened exactly, but there might not even be an official explanation. Plenty of amateurs have been getting into the business ofspying using quadcopters to take videos from above. We'll be keeping our eye on YouTube andbestquadcopter.com for Disney footage.

tissandtully

Last night (1/19/14), we entered the MK around 7PM. After walking through the train station, I turned around to look at the train and saw a "drone" flying above the entrance/train station area.

It was already dark, so I couldn't really make out what it looked like, but it appeared to be a quadcopter (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadcopter) based on how it was moving, with three green lights and two red (I could have that backwards). It was maybe 2-3' in diameter.

Considering that it was dark, it was probably equipped with a night vision or infrared camera. It certainly appeared to be manually controlled from somewhere as opposed to being on a circuit/loop.

Anyone know exactly what it's currently used for, seen it, or have ideas for its expanded use? (e.g. crowd monitoring, security, practically painless X-S Tech transportation). Can Disney physically prevent private use?

In related "news"...
http://lakeforest-ca.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/did-government-drone-spy-on-disney-resort

drone.jpg
An employee of the Disney Resort said that a group of employees spotted a small drone hovering above Disney's California Adventure Park last week.

The anonymous employee told Lake Forest Patchthat a group of employees saw the 3-foot-long craft with propellers floating about 40 feet overhead. Some employees waved at it, because they assumed there was a camera on board. It had a flashing blue light, and the employee said, "It looked like a flying spider."

It reportedly happened around 7:30 a.m. last Friday, just a half-hour before the park opens to the public.

There isn't any official record of the drone sighting. An Anaheim police spokesman said he hadn't heard about any sightings. Disney disputes the claim that there was a drone. Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told Patch, "I was at work Friday ... [so] I would have known about it." She said Disney's security chief hadn't heard anything about it. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies declined to comment. The FAA wouldn't comment about whether it gave clearance to any craft to fly through the no-fly zone above Disneyland.

It's not clear what happened exactly, but there might not even be an official explanation. Plenty of amateurs have been getting into the business ofspying using quadcopters to take videos from above. We'll be keeping our eye on YouTube andbestquadcopter.com for Disney footage.
Was probably one of the pixie snorting gear heads taking an aerial photo.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I don't mind surveillance drones to get better camera angles at crowded areas. Recognize Disneyland and Disney World are frequently places of interest of our enemies due to crowd sizes. Disney should and is performing due diligence to secure their property. It isn't much different than mounted cameras. These just have the ability to adjust much quicker to crowd sizes.

Clamman73

In related "news"...

drone.jpg

Could you hear it

Could you hear it over the normal street level noise?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thanks for the info @Thunder Kz . The fact that Disney is denying any knowledge of the event seems odd. They know EVERYTHING that happens, how do they know nothing of this?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't mind surveillance drones to get better camera angles at crowded areas. Recognize Disneyland and Disney World are frequently places of interest of our enemies due to crowd sizes. Disney should and is performing due diligence to secure their property. It isn't much different than mounted cameras. These just have the ability to adjust much quicker to crowd sizes.

And fall on people when they lose power or a command link, I use a camera drone to inspect antennas on towers - saves the cost of a climber (expensive) but I make D--- sure no one else is around and I'm out of its fall trajectory IF something happens.

I'ts only a matter of time before a surveilance drone falls out of the sky into a crowd and kills a few people. And then we will have the public debate we should have had in the first place before placing these into general service.

Drones have military utility and they also have utility in remote inspection and inspecting hazardous locations like train derailments involving HazMat because they can go where humans cannot safely go.

But there are also RISKS involved if the command link is severed or you have a motor failure and the long endurance ones also have fuel onboard along with blade tip velocities just under the speed of sound.

So you can have a 20-50 pound buzzsaw falling from the sky along with a gallon or so of avgas. It's not going to be pretty when it hits the ground especially if people are around.

The one I use is a gas powered RC helicopter with a video link it weighs about 10 pounds total and has a pint of nitromethane fuel onboard once again if it goes out of control you do not want to be where it hits even though its only a couple hundred feet up max.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I'm sure we will see the results on YouTube soon enough.

Surprised someone took the chance.

I would assume that Disney will get really ed if someone actually does this. I dont think this will be their usual "do nothing" response.... gotta think they'll put the hammer down in a hurry.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Off topic but the videos of radio tower climbers are THE scariest thing I've ever seen. How much do those guys make?

1K just to show up, Generally 2-8K per day up here depending on height and difficulty, A lot of that fee is simply insurance.

This is why I use the RC helicopter if I can't get a good view with a telescope If a mount/antenna/cable is damaged then you need to hire a climber to fix it and there is a lot more demand for climbers than there are climbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom