UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

Soarin' Over Pgh

So hypothetically speaking if someone flew a drone over the MK without Disney's permission and it hit something and crashed, how would anyone know WHO or WHERE the drone came from?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Read the article on the drones - but I sort of wonder: if WDW wanted enhanced video surveillance, why not just put in secured Internet cams?

That's why opinion here is it did not belong to Disney, Cam's are so easy to install and lipstick cams can be installed just about anywhere and they will not fall onto guests like drones can (and DO).

vonpluto

NSA-eagle-medium-size.jpg
Man. I miss all the good stuff.

So hypothetically speaking if someone flew a drone over the MK without Disney's permission and it hit something and crashed, how would anyone know WHO or WHERE the drone came from?

They would know, They always know......

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In the description of the video it say...

"Also there was a kite shaped canopy over the drone supporting flight"

The video was published Jan of 2013 so my guess is that it was the Fantasyland dragon.
Why would it have been over the Poly? The dragon was a one time deal over New Fantasyland.

awesomeinabox

I know its not from publicity/PR. They will not use quadcopters for filming/photos over an occupied guest area.
Ok color me stupid. Not being snotty I actually want to know why they wouldn't use quads to film over guest areas? We use them where I work over guest areas (it's an arena and used for promo shots I'm not a creeper) why wouldn't Disney? Basically mock out shots cheaply prior to bringing in more expensive equipment?
I'm missing something I don't know what please help.

relots

Yep! Exactly. LOL

I can't imagine disney is sitting back and letting this slide. I wonder what they will do so it doesn't happen again.

Isn't disney considered a no fly zone? Or just the parks? Wouldn't this also apply to drones (or is this a case of rules needing to be rewritten to include drones)??
Disney is considered a No Fly Zone but it's only to 3000 feet above the parks. Still a good ways up and since you have MCO in the area you would still have to know what you're doing to fly in and around that area. You can fly into this zone WITH special permissions ahead of time. The circle covers pretty much the entire property. If you look up Disney World No Fly Zone you should be able to find a map with a red circle around both WDW and DL. If I had my maps on my work computer I would upload it. Disney is the only theme park that I know who has a restricted airspace around their properties, and for good reasons too.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok color me stupid. Not being snotty I actually want to know why they wouldn't use quads to film over guest areas? We use them where I work over guest areas (it's an arena and used for promo shots I'm not a creeper) why wouldn't Disney? Basically mock out shots cheaply prior to bringing in more expensive equipment?
I'm missing something I don't know what please help.

One word that you should be thinking of as well LIABILITY if that quad loses its link or power you are going to have a suit on your hands and one you should just settle because the plaintiff will win.

GrumpyFan

Seems to be a lot of paranoid people here.
Sounds to me like the local Law Enforcement have a new toy. If this is the case, then I'm sure Disney gave them full permission to fly it.
Personally, I don't have a problem with this, if it is in fact Disney or Law Enforcement. However, I do have to wonder if Disney has thought about such devices being used by non authorized individuals. It could pose a huge threat to the security of their guests and the resort. All the more reason why Disney should own as much property around their parks as possible, just to prevent something like this. Although, I would venture to guess that most commercial devices like this on the market could be disabled via a simple signal jamming device.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom