News UCF Peach Bowl/National Championship Parade

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Honestly regardless of whether you accept their national title or not, it clearly isn't a stupid move. Its casted tons of doubt among a huge amount of people in the entire CFP system, its got UCF in the media, and its got UCF selling tons of shirts and merchandise to both fans and those who believe the CFP system is unfair and are on the other side of the argument, and has led to a ton more donations for the school to fight this battle. And the debate to expand the CFP to try to eliminate split national titles is now stronger than ever, precisely because of what UCF did
Yikes, are you that delusional? Play someone of worth and go undefeated then you can claim what you are claiming. UCF has to earn its stripes first... BTW, nobody but UCF accepts your "National Championship".:hilarious:. You don't get to claim that you're champions when you have Maine/Temple/FIU/Austin Prey on your schedule.

21stamps

I'm just getting such a great kick out this whole situation :joyfull:. The pressed souls in this thread need to take the sticks out of their backsides and lighten up

Yes.. we should all lighten up and make banners for our children’s teams when they don’t win a tournament. We should make trophies for them as well, regardless of what they did or did not accomplish.
That’s how sports work, right?

gdrj

Its a nice shtick about being Nat'l Champions. It has definitely given them their 15 minutes, and will help with recruiting. They had a Great Season and should be proud of it. But when your wins include:
East Carolina
Navy
Connecticut
SMU
Temple
and of course Austin Peay

You can claim anything you want but it doesnt make it true #stablegenius

NearTheEars

My school didn’t qualify for the FCS playoffs this year (but lost in an actual title game last year)

My favorite team, Ohio State won the Cotton Bowl. And if they ever dared in the modern era to name themselves Champion on their own I would be embarrassed.

In the past, though, they claim at least one shady title in a year they lost the Rose Bowl, but the organization back then had named it before the Bowl game.

21stamps

My school didn’t qualify for the FCS playoffs this year (but lost in an actual title game last year)

My favorite team, Ohio State won the Cotton Bowl. And if they ever dared in the modern era to name themselves Champion on their own I would be embarrassed.

In the past, though, they claim at least one shady title in a year they lost the Rose Bowl, but the organization back then had named it before the Bowl game.

Isn’t that the team who’s mascot actually got sent to Disney World.. for being Champions? ;)

21stamps

It really isn't that serious. But you are always hell bent on being something rhymes with 'itch' on these boards so I'm not surprised you are getting worked up over a non-issue. Keep doing you though sweetie
I will :), and I don’t do self-claimed titles or participation trophies. I respect sports too much.
The team I coach beat the second place team when we played them yesterday. Guess what? We still didn’t move up from finishing in 3rd. I could have given my kids medals.. but since I live in reality, I told them “Great Job” and bought them all a slushee instead.

I hate to see sports tainted by this fake “I’m a winner because I said I’m a winner” foolishness.

tribbleorlfl

Original Poster
Here's a nice video package UCF produced with parade footage, media interviews and the players enjoying the park afterwards.

I don't have much in the way of photos to add other than what @MonorailRed shared, but I do have some observations comparing this parade to the 2014 Fiesta Bowl parade.

1) The buy-in from Disney was clear as this was far more produced than the 2014 celebration. Boom camera at the hub, confetti, pompoms handed out, etc.

2) There were easily double the fans for this one compared to the Fiesta Bowl parade, and people lined up for it far earlier.

Here's a shot from 2014 about an hour before as the put up the Black and Gold balloons along Main Street.
IMG_20140112_124846_837.jpg

Same time frame and location yesterday.
IMG_20180107_153854.jpg

3) There was a bunch of media set up in the hub, and Shaquem, KZ, Dr. Hitt and Danny White made the press rounds immediately following the parade. There was some media for the Fiesta Bowl parade, but it was mostly local. Not the national outlets like ESPN at this one.

IMG_20180107_165244.jpg

4) Josh Heupel and the new coaching staff was present, but watched from the train depot. Thought it was cool that they let the focus be on the players and not try to claim the season as their own.

5) All of the gold bow Minnie ears in the park appeared to sell out, as did the ears they had pre-embroidered with "Go Knights."

Finally, it was a bit awkward in the hour between Festival of Fantasy and the UCF parade. Marathon runners started pouring in to take Castle photos with their medals, and many seemed visibly confused or upset by the massive amounts of Black and Gold in the background. I saw several just turn around and leave.

yoda_5729

UCF was 4-0 against AP and USA polled teams, where as Alabama was 3-1. Meaning both teams played 4 games against top 25 teams, and UCF was undefeated, Bama wasn't. Yet all anyone says is UCF needs to play someone on their schedules, giving Bama a pass. When Alabama was put into the playoff they were 2-1, whereas UCF was 3-0. That's against ranked teams.

I will admit, I'm not sure what the 4th ranked team is that ESPN is crediting to UCF, and it could be a typo, but according to that page, both UCF and Bama played 4 ranked teams.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/standings

Last edited:

21stamps

UCF was 4-0 against AP and USA polled teams, where as Alabama was 3-1. Meaning both teams played 4 games against top 25 teams, and UCF was undefeated, Bama wasn't. Yet all anyone says is UCF needs to play someone on their schedules, giving Bama a pass. When Alabama was put into the playoff they were 2-1, whereas UCF was 3-0. That's against ranked teams.

I agree that Bama shouldn’t have been in the playoffs.. trust me!
I hope they get beat tonight. Scared to get too confident yet, but I’m pleased with the first half. :)

yoda_5729

I agree that Bama shouldn’t have been in the playoffs.. trust me!
I hope they get beat tonight. Scared to get too confident yet, but I’m pleased with the first half. :)

That we can agree on. I don't despise any team, especially since they're all college students. But Bama this year to me wasn't impressive. There are years they are. To me Alabama only really looked like Alabama, against Clemson. Everything else has been pedestrian, in my humble opinion, and though I have posted a lot on this page, I respect everyone's fanbases and hope they all can celebrate their seasons safely.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I will admit, I'm not sure what the 4th ranked team is that ESPN is crediting to UCF, and it could be a typo, but according to that page, both UCF and Bama played 4 ranked teams.

And the rest of their schedule?

21stamps

That we can agree on. I don't despise any team, especially since they're all college students. But Bama this year to me wasn't impressive. There are years they are. To me Alabama only really looked like Alabama, against Clemson. Everything else has been pedestrian, in my humble opinion, and though I have posted a lot on this page, I respect everyone's fanbases and hope they all can celebrate their seasons safely.

But Nick Saban isn’t a student...;)

Seriously though.. everyone should celebrate a good season., they just shouldn’t claim unearned titles. This was a tricky year to choose the top 4.. there wasn’t 2 or 3 deserving as we’ve seen sometimes in the past.. Alabama got in because of OSU’s Iowa loss., I think someone else should have been there, but I don’t even know who. I think the committee was left with Alabama by default.
UCF is screwed by their conference and schedule.

Last edited:

Mouse Detective

Its a nice shtick about being Nat'l Champions. It has definitely given them their 15 minutes, and will help with recruiting. They had a Great Season and should be proud of it. But when your wins include: East Carolina, Navy, Connecticut, SMU, Temple, and of course Austin Peay.
You can claim anything you want but it doesnt make it true #stablegenius

Oh yeah, Alabama had a much tougher schedule this year, beating Mercer, Vandy, Fresno State, Colorado State and a bunch of down-year SEC teams.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Oh yeah, Alabama had a much tougher schedule this year, beating Mercer, Vandy, Fresno State, Colorado State and a bunch of down-year SEC teams.

Lol at down-year SEC teams. Down year sec teams Or down year any power 5 conference teams are still elite talent and competition. If they honesty think they can go undefeated going through a power 5 conference schedule, they should try to get into one.

yoda_5729

Bama opponents

FSU 7-6
Fresno St 10-4
Colorado State 7-6
Vanderbilt 5-7
Miss 6-6
Texas A&M 7-6
Arkansas 4-8
Tennessee 4-8
LSU 9-4
Miss St 9-4
Mercer 5-6 (Division I-AA)
Auburn Alabama's Loss

UCF opponents

Florida Int 8-5
Maryland 4-8
Maine 4-6 (Division I-AA)
Memphis 10-3
Cincinatti 4-8
ECU 3-9
Navy 7-6
Peay 8-4 (Division I-AA)
SMU 7-6
UConn 3-9
Temple 7-6
USF 10-2
Memphis 10-3

Are UCF's opponenets all that impressive, no. Are Alabama's? no. The difference is Bama lost, UCF didn't. Maybe Alabama should schedule an easier schedule if they want to be undefeated. It's a petty argument as scheduling games should not a national champion decide. Then the universities are wasting their money on the coaches, because clearly the person making the schedule is the most important person. UCF was giv en a schedule, and were perfect on the season. The legendary and great and spectacular Alabama Crimson Tuide was supposed to own the season, they were given the #1 spot. They failed to hold it. Ultimately, it is what it is, but it shows that college football tries to orchestrate it's national championship game to appease fan bases and bogger schools historically. Everyone talks about the SEC, I have no issue with Georgia, but Auburn was ranked above Bama, as they got to play in the SEC championship game, and they actually beat Bama. How the #3 team in the SEC can call themselves National Champs when they lost to number 2, and didn't even play in their championship game is just silly. It is what it is though, and UCF scored as many points in the first half as Alabama did.

Last edited:

21stamps

Bama opponents

FSU 7-6
Fresno St 10-4
Colorado State 7-6
Vanderbilt 5-7
Miss 6-6
Texas A&M 7-6
Arkansas 4-8
Tennessee 4-8
LSU 9-4
Miss St 9-4
Mercer 5-6 (Division I-AA)
Auburn Alabama's Loss

UCF opponents

Florida Int 8-5
Maryland 4-8
Maine 4-6 (Division I-AA)
Memphis 10-3
Cincinatti 4-8
ECU 3-9
Navy 7-6
Peay 8-4 (Division I-AA)
SMU 7-6
UConn 3-9
Temple 7-6
USF 10-2
Memphis 10-3

You’re not going to find many people who will disagree with you about Alabama’s 2017 season.. maybe a few dishonest Alabama fans being the exception. However, they still deserve it more than UCF. That’s saying a lot coming from me.lol

I’m hoping you can notice the difference in programs and talent in the teams/schedules you listed above.

I think it’s also fair to mention that Bama did beat the #1 team in the country recently.

yoda_5729

You’re not going to find many people who will disagree with you about Alabama’s 2017 season.. maybe a few dishonest Alabama fans being the exception. However, they still deserve it more than UCF. That’s saying a lot coming from me.lol

I’m hoping you can notice the difference in programs and talent in the teams/schedules you listed above.

I think it’s also fair to mention that Bama did beat the #1 team in the country recently.
Bama did beat Clemson, and I gave them props for that, but that was after they were selected for the College Playoff, not before. My arguement was their selection. I said they looked like THE Alabama Crimson Tide against Clemson. That to me was one of, if not the first time all season. As for programs and talent, that all is based on people's opinions. As I stated, preseason FSU was ranked #3 in the nation. Now, no one can argue, the analysts who were estimating the talents and the legendary dynasty that is FSU, were completely overestimating them. In College, you never know who will truly be a game changing talent. Many legendary players played for nothing schools. Then that school went back to obscurity, but maybe UCF has one of those types, or maybe they don't. I don't know. No one does, right now. Everything you could ask of UCF, they did this season, the same is not true of Alabama.

In years previous, you had Johnny manziel at Texas A&M, or Les MIles LSU teams, or Tebow in Florida, or Cam Newton at Auburn. With the exception of Auburn, who Bama lost to, no one on the Bama schedule is a powerhouse like that. That was teams Bama used to power through to justifiably earn their Championships.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom