News UCF Peach Bowl/National Championship Parade

UCF

Actually, I included 5&6 because they won their bowl games.. both of which had better teams and a better resume than Auburn going into the bowl games.

Your next paragraph doesn’t fit college football. I’m not trying to be rude, but it doesn’t make sense.
Are you seriously calling Auburn's schedule weak? They had a far stronger schedule then Alabama, the only reason Auburn has 4 losses is they lost to national champion UCF and SEC champion Georgia (who they played twice), and ACC Champion Clemson.

By ranking, Georgia hardest game was Auburn. By ranking, Alabama's hardest game was Auburn. By ranking, Clemson's hardest game was Auburn. See a trend? Literally no one played more ranked teams then Auburn, these other teams played the same amount of ranked teams as UCF. Thats what gives UCF the right to claim a national title.

rreading

I'm a huge college football fan, season ticket holder and voracious watcher of games. The insult would be in pretending that a 4 team "playoff" with arbitrary entry and a committee behind closed doors that picks all the teams would be a "legitimate" playoff. Create a system where every team can earn entry based on their play on the field and a large enough field to be inclusive and then it will be an actual proper NCAA championship.

There is no NCAA 1-FBS championship. Heck, the names of the divisions spells that out -- "Football Bowl Subdivison" versus "Football Championship Subdivison".

As an aside, I personally don't care about whether or not 1-FBS has an actual champion. I actually preferred the old system with the debates and multiple polls. I feel there's too much attention on the playoff and it's detrimental to the sport. I don't see the need for every sport to "have to" have a champion declared. What's wrong with just winning as many games as possible as being the ultimate goal?

This.

My feelings exactly. Glad to know there are others out there!

For our UCF fan carrying the torch, this was discussed on the best NCAA FB website today (unfortunately they didn’t render an opinion one way or the other): https://theathletic.com/204546/2018/01/05/ucf-football-national-champion-parade/

NearTheEars

Just to be clear, there is no official "National Champion" for Div 1-FBS college football (there is for Division 1-FCS, the former 1-AA). Yes, there is a thing called the "College Football Playoff" and, yes, they call the winner of that a "national champion" but it is not a recognized proper NCAA championship. It is no different than any "National Championship" for 1-FBS (former 1-A) football that has happened ever in the past.

UCF has as much a right to declare themselves a "national champion" as the winner of the Georgia/Bama game will.

By all means, here is the NCAA official site. Feel free to find the information on that site about the NCAA Div 1-FBS football championship. I'll be waiting.

What I don’t understand is the argument that because they don’t have an NCAA style playoff, then they have a right to claim the title.

So are you saying that any school that feels they had a great season and beat some worthy opponents should be free to call themselves the National Champion because they decided to? Because that’s what is happening. Or should only teams that go undefeated have that right? If say Akron or Kent State runs the table in the MAC and beats up on a few FCS schools to round out an undefeated season, then they should raise a banner too?

That seems like a slippery slope that would tarnish everything.

NearTheEars

Are you seriously calling Auburn's schedule weak? They had a far stronger schedule then Alabama, the only reason Auburn has 4 losses is they lost to national champion* UCF and SEC champion Georgia (who they played twice), and ACC Champion Clemson.

By ranking, Georgia hardest game was Auburn. By ranking, Alabama's hardest game was Auburn. By ranking, Clemson's hardest game was Auburn. See a trend? Literally no one played more ranked teams then Auburn, these other teams played the same amount of ranked teams as UCF. Thats what gives UCF the right to claim a national title.

rreading

What I don’t understand is the argument that because they don’t have an NCAA style playoff, then they have a right to claim the title.

So are you saying that any school that feels they had a great season and beat some worthy opponents should be free to call themselves the National Champion because they decided to? Because that’s what is happening. Or should only teams that go undefeated have that right? If say Akron or Kent State runs the table in the MAC and beats up on a few FCS schools to round out an undefeated season, then they should raise a banner too?

That seems like a slippery slope that would tarnish everything.

Agreed.

Historically, there should be a national poll which awards the school a national championship.

So far, it seems that the most legitimate bases of UCF’s argument are 1) a local paper and 2) a computer poll. I do agree that it’s a bit of a stretch, in that light.

Doesn’t mean I don’t respect their gumption. My argument is generally that they have as deserving a record as many of Bama’s National Championships.

NearTheEars

Agreed.

Historically, there should be a national poll which awards the school a national championship.

So far, it seems that the most legitimate bases of UCF’s argument are 1) a local paper and 2) a computer poll. I do agree that it’s a bit of a stretch, in that light.

Doesn’t mean I don’t respect their gumption. My argument is generally that they have as deserving a record as many of Bama’s National Championships.

And that computer poll is set to update again when Bowl season is complete.
There’s a ton of questionable title claims out there, but they are decades old.
And I don’t consider the relatively recent (historically) USC title questionable as the AP ranked them #1.

NearTheEars

Also, this is hilarious:

Anyway, I’m going to bow out. We’re all sounding like broken records on both sides at this point.

I hope @UCF enjoys the parade and buys up a couple shirts. Relish the moment. It was a great season.

And I hope the next coaching staff keeps things going and maybe they’ll get a Power 5 invite some day and have a better opportunity to square off for a CFP title as well. Unfortunately, unless they start scheduling really tough non-conference opponents, that may be the only shot at earning the committee’s respect.

rreading

Also, this is hilarious:

Anyway, I’m going to bow out. We’re all sounding like broken records on both sides at this point.

I hope @UCF enjoys the parade and buys up a couple shirts. Relish the moment. It was a great season.

And I hope the next coaching staff keeps things going and maybe they’ll get a Power 5 invite some day and have a better opportunity to square off for a CFP title as well. Unfortunately, unless they start scheduling really tough non-conference opponents, that may be the only shot at earning the committee’s respect.

Agree re:this as well.

What I do expect this causes is to ensure that their (the 12-0 outsider) invitation will be built in to the 8 team playoff when it occurs in the next few years.

Back to my usual Disney browsing.

21stamps

Are you seriously calling Auburn's schedule weak? They had a far stronger schedule then Alabama, the only reason Auburn has 4 losses is they lost to national champion UCF and SEC champion Georgia (who they played twice), and ACC Champion Clemson.

Yes, I’m calling their schedule weak.

I also called Alabama’s schedule weak.. but with better players than UCF, and-they just beat the #1 team in the country.. didn’t just beat them, they dominated Clemson.

I hate Alabama, but I love football. I love the sport enough to look outside of my own team fandom and appreciate what all teams are doing, and an earned title.

As I said in one of my first posts, I do hope that UCF and their conference continues to improve, I just wish they wouldn’t have tainted a perfect season with self proclaimed titles. It distracts from their football.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I hate Alabama and Georgia... I hate the entire SEC lol... but I’ll be cheering for Georgia in the final.

I don’t think UCF would have a prayer against any team in the top 6 of the polls. Would be interesting to watch though. I like your idea of making “self-claimed” champions play the actual champion of the final game.

I bleed Georgia red. Attended every home game for years, but now I prefer to watch in the comfort of my living room. I was thinking about it and realized I don't hate any team or conference. I suppose it would take too much of my time and effort to hate.
Out of curiosity, is there something specific that brought about your hate for my team, or is it just a general hate?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Did you believe UCF had a chance against Auburn? And I'm assuming you chose top 6 because Auburn was #7 and was manhandled by UCF the entire game, do you generally believe someone who can dominate the #7 team in the polls wouldn't have a prayer against 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1?

I'm sure UCF would be happy to add a game and play the winner for an actual undisputed national title. Alabama and Georgia, however, are too likely scared of losing and have nothing to gain, they're both happy to split a championship.

The notion that Alabama or Georgia are afraid of losing to Central Florida is downright laughable.

disney4life2008

I wonder if the parade will be as fake as this no-name school’s “national championship” title. I think other schools should call themselves the national champions too. In fact, by ucf’s standards everyone is the national champ! Yay! Look at us! We participated! A no name school like this doesnt deserve to play with the big boys. Sorry ucf, but you don’t have what it takes, even when you have a perfect season against all but one cupcake teams. What an embarrassing move by a school that is desperate for attention. I’ve never heard of ucf but I’d be embarrassed to be a fan or student because of this. Enjoy your wins, but when the hottest girl in school turns down your offer to prom, don’t go around claiming you took her to the dance.

Don't ever step on ucf campus or the city of Orlando for that matter. Those are fighting words.

21stamps

I bleed Georgia red. Attended every home game for years, but now I prefer to watch in the comfort of my living room. I was thinking about it and realized I don't hate any team or conference. I suppose it would take too much of my time and effort to hate.
Out of curiosity, is there something specific that brought about your hate for my team, or is it just a general hate?

I don’t hate Georgia for any other reason than being in the SEC. hate is maybe too strong of word.. severe dislike maybe? Mainly due to SEC fans.
Alabama and UF though.. those teams I never wish to see another championship victory.

I think Alabama was overrated the entire 2017 season, and I don’t think they deserved a playoff spot. However, I said this before the Clemson game - Bama may end up winning it all. The final should be a good football game. I can appreciate good football even when I don’t like either of the teams playing. :)

Last edited:

21stamps

Don't ever step on ucf campus or the city of Orlando for that matter. Those are fighting words.

They should be embarrassed. Usually I cringe when reading twitter feeds.. but the replies to “UCF National Champions “ are quite funny right now. It’s sad that they chose to go this route.

Here’s the best 2 comments that I read last night.. and pretty much sums up what I’ve been trying to say in my posts here.
This is not the correct way to “create change”. All it does is make the school and program look foolish.

152C49C5-CD3D-4420-8E99-012608214D5C.jpeg

356C3ED9-6BCE-436B-8B00-0FE360B45909.jpeg

UCF

They should be embarrassed. Usually I cringe when reading twitter feeds.. but the replies to “UCF National Champions “ are quite funny right now. It’s sad that they chose to go this route.

Here’s the best 2 comments that I read last night.. and pretty much sums up what I’ve been trying to say in my posts here.
This is not the correct way to “create change”. All it does is make the school and program look foolish.
Honestly regardless of whether you accept their national title or not, it clearly isn't a stupid move. Its casted tons of doubt among a huge amount of people in the entire CFP system, its got UCF in the media, and its got UCF selling tons of shirts and merchandise to both fans and those who believe the CFP system is unfair and are on the other side of the argument, and has led to a ton more donations for the school to fight this battle. And the debate to expand the CFP to try to eliminate split national titles is now stronger than ever, precisely because of what UCF did

21stamps

Honestly regardless of whether you accept their national title or not, it clearly isn't a stupid move. Its casted tons of doubt among a huge amount of people in the entire CFP system, its got UCF in the media, and its got UCF selling tons of shirts and merchandise to both fans and those who believe the CFP system is unfair and are on the other side of the argument, and has led to a ton more donations for the school to fight this battle. And the debate to expand the CFP to try to eliminate split national titles is now stronger than ever, precisely because of what UCF did

The fact is the- the words “UCF National Champs” mean nothing except to the school itself. It is Self Titled, Not Awarded. A self title doesn’t equal a real title.

Here, I came back to edit and replace my words with the following-

8A7830C1-E7A2-40BC-B7EB-FA28DFA3D3E0.jpeg

7AA2D0A9-0CF6-4559-959A-666EB76E59F4.jpeg

I Need to give up on this threa now. Great season to UCF. Enjoy the parade, sincerely.

Last edited:

yoda_5729

The rest of the country has to come to terms with the concept that UCF won all their games, including one game against the team that has a victory over both Georgia and Alabama. Undefeated is supposed to mean something, but in college football it does not, because of the Country club like atmosphere of the big conferences not allowing the little schools in.

What makes sports great is upsets, whether it be the New York Giants over the undefeated Patriots, the US beating the Russians in the Miracle on Ice, or Seabiscuit beating Triple Crown winner War Admiral. Boise State defeated an Oklahoma team that had all-world back Adrian Peterson. The Los Angles Lakers with Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton lost to the Detroit Pistons. Before any of those, or many of UCF's wins this year, on paper I would have said it's a joke to think the smaller team would win, but they did. Until the two teams actually play opposite each other we don't know.

Polls and analysts can be wrong, going into the season Florida State was ranked #3 in the nation. The reason that matters is that UCF wasn't even in the discussion and had to prove themselves over the course of the season. Meanwhile Alabama, who didn't have the strongest of schedules got to comfortably sit atop the poll, without really proving anything, and then when they fell, it wasn't anywhere near as far. People looked at the victory over FSU as claiming something, but FSU finished the season with 6 losses, including to Boston College and NC State. They didn't defeat a ranked team all year (Based on the end of the year rankings). The Preseason "guess" is one of the worst things about college football as it puts unrealistic expectations out there, because of what analysts or polls say. Watch the teams actually play a bit before giving any sort of ranking of any kind. The analysts and polls don't want to discuss FSU this year because of how silly it makes the preseason numbers look. If not for that preseason ranking, Alabama didn't win any games that would have made anyone think they were deserving of going to the big game (Granted their win over Clemson after they were selected to go on, is impressive, but that was after the fact).

Ultimately, college football likes to discuss the amateur status of the athletes, and how they play the game the right way, but it all comes down to money. When Alabama played Auburn, they both won and lost. They lost because of the final score on the board, but they won because of the money they generated. That's why the big schools will never play small scale schedules. However, the smaller schools will have to risk both how much money the program makes, and their records. Alabama (or any other school in a big conference) falling out of bed makes a fortune in tickets sales, and television deals. Why would they, or should they give that up? For example, I'm sure UCF would have loved to have played Alabama, Georiga, Clemson, Notre Dame and Ohio State all this year. They're record may have been horrid, but their box office would have been great. That box office could then be used to build facilities or hire a higher level coach. Those big name programs sell out wherever they go, and they don't want to play in small stadiums, because it generates less revenue. They want the big collossal stadiums like Ohio State and Michigan. I am aware too, sometimes big programs pay the lesser school a large salary just to play the big school, because the lesser school wants nothing to do with the humiliating loss they'll likely take, but it allows the powerhouse a relatively easier week. Ultimately, the SEC commissioner is quite happy about how everything fell into place. No matter what, the SEC will take home the two biggest paydays of any collegiate team this year because of the National championship game profits. The biggest cut may go to Georgia or it may go to Alabama, but the SEC already knows it's got that. Had UCF made the final 4 though, the SEC would only get one big pay day, as apposed to now two. The players and the coaches care about who wins, the presidents and commissioners care only about the money, and the money is the reason that college football will never be equal across the board. That money to ALabama and Georgia is nice, but in the SEC so much money is assumed that it is just sprinkling on the cake. To UCF, that may have been a game changer, but they don't get to change their game. They might in a decade, though the team they have now won't be the same team next year. One of the big schools will challenge them later on, seasons from now, and likely beat them, and then shrug and say they weren't anything. But they aren't playing this unique team, and because of that, we don't know.

UCF deserves the parades, and if they want to call themselves National Champions, in my eyes they can, because the National Championship in the NCAA is so much of a joke, and always has been, that there really is no national champion. The concept that a team can go undefeated for a season and not get an invite into the top 4 playoff is a joke. Alabama was the #3 team in the SEC. By sending them, you downplay all the conference championships, which now are pretty meaningless. UCF is the only team to go undefeated, all year. It had to deal with a hurricane, which others had to as well, and still came out at the end undefeated. When Boise State and UCF beat a quality opponent in their bowl game, it's already too late to do anything about it. I will admit Alabama's victory over Clemson was the single most impressive thing they did all season, but up until that, they were living off of what the analysts thought of them and not what they deserved. UCF didn't have the opportunity to live off of what the analysts predicted, and instead had to prove through the course of the season they were good, and like Alabama proved in the final game, they did deserve a right to compete against the big boys. But, it was in the bowl game, after the Playoff had been decided, and this sadly will be the way it goes for all the smaller schools. Next year it could be UCF, or someone else, but the big schools will have control, and the little schools will get marginalized, no matter what their record is.

Last edited:

yoda_5729

I love how you buried this juicy gem in the middle of all that text.

Look, I'm no 'Bama fan. I won't even eat Bama peanut butter or jelly. But I'm pretty darn sure that if Bama and UCF were to meet on the gridiron, UCF would be on the short end of the score at halftime, and most likely 40 or so points behind at the end of the game.

Based on what they did in the regular season, was what I was referring to there, but upsets happen. I would assume every year that Alabama would defeat UCF, but this year Alabama wasn't all that impressive during the regular season, and lost to a team UCF defeated in their bowl game. UCF also never lost, Bama did. Bama was gifted the #1 spot preseason, and then had the "impressive" win over FSU, which now we've discovered wasn't impressive at all. Bama is one of the greatest dynasties in college football, no doubt, but this year they've proven they can lose. UCF hasn't, this year. Usuallty Bama's season has huge marquee victories, this year, not so much. Ultimately in the words of Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game." Not play to be evaluated by the supposed experts who thought FSU was going to be #3 this year. The upsets I listed above, I never thought would have happened, but they did, and that's what sports are about.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom