Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

Beholder

"The ocean covers 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water, yet more than 95 percent of the underwater world remains unexplored. The ocean and lakes play an integral role in many of the Earth's systems including climate and weather." http://www.noaa.gov/ocean.html

We have more detailed maps of the planet Venus than we do of the earth's ocean floor. We landed on the moon in 1969 yet it took until 1977 before hydrothermal ocean vents in the Galapagos Rift were discovered along with chemosynthetic bacteria. Who would have thought that animals could live in water at temperatures of 176 degrees Fahrenheit? http://www.marine-conservation.org.uk/thermalventlife.html

Yes, and too bad the Living Seas or Animal Kingdom couldn't illuminate these facts.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Agreed. They'd likely need a real reason, real proof, that it'd be worth their time/$ to invest in a sponsorship here. Given the track record Disney has with it's current/past sponsors, Disney would have to prove that they were willing to go the extra mile to ensure that whatever pavilion/attraction is being sponsored would be kept pristine, updated, and in working order.
If I ran a company, I'd make sure if I were to invest in a sponsorship, I'd make Disney prove that they can be better at maintaining their attractions than they currently are.

Thankfully I think we are about to see a turning point in how Disney cares for its Attractions. Reports coming from the Rehabs this year seem to suggestion that they are heading in the right direction and don't get me started on my excitement of the return of Holiday cups.
I think an issue also lies in companies don't take pride in their sponsorship or Pavilions. Have you ever heard of AT&T mention their involvement of Space Ship Earth or HP with Spaceship Earth.

Goofyernmost

We have more detailed maps of the planet Venus than we do of the earth's ocean floor. We landed on the moon in 1969 yet it took until 1977 before hydrothermal ocean vents in the Galapagos Rift were discovered along with chemosynthetic bacteria. Who would have thought that animals could live in water at temperatures of 176 degrees Fahrenheit?
You have completely misunderstood the hydrothermal thing. McDonald's discovered them and used them for the purpose of saving time by having their fish fillets cooked previous to taking them out of the ocean. Before that they were used to make, the ever popular with kids of the 50's, fish sticks. Leave it to private enterprise to forge ahead of the scientific community. Don't forget that they were the first to ask if you want fries with that as well.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
We need to get James Cameron on this!!!!! Sorry I needed a little bit of humor, but James Cameron has done alot of research when it comes to Oceanic Exploration and you got to admire the man. On his most recent Dive he helped discover over 10 species.
Love him or hate him (says the biggest Titanic fan ever!), I agree that you have to admire James Cameron. He is a perfectionist with amazing dedication.
10 new species? That's amazing!

Beholder

Agreed. They'd likely need a real reason, real proof, that it'd be worth their time/$ to invest in a sponsorship here. Given the track record Disney has with it's current/past sponsors, Disney would have to prove that they were willing to go the extra mile to ensure that whatever pavilion/attraction is being sponsored would be kept pristine, updated, and in working order.
If I ran a company, I'd make sure if I were to invest in a sponsorship, I'd make Disney prove that they can be better at maintaining their attractions than they currently are.

You'd think that it would be a win win for all involved. On one hand, the outside company gets a world (all the international guests) wide stage to showcase their latest and greatest in a truly unique setting and Disney gets to build/create new attractions with added benefit of sponsorship.

Beholder

"The ocean covers 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water, yet more than 95 percent of the underwater world remains unexplored. The ocean and lakes play an integral role in many of the Earth's systems including climate and weather." http://www.noaa.gov/ocean.html

We have more detailed maps of the planet Venus than we do of the earth's ocean floor. We landed on the moon in 1969 yet it took until 1977 before hydrothermal ocean vents in the Galapagos Rift were discovered along with chemosynthetic bacteria. Who would have thought that animals could live in water at temperatures of 176 degrees Fahrenheit? http://www.marine-conservation.org.uk/thermalventlife.html

An attraction featuring both the great mysteries of our oceans and the possibilities of Europa.

Voxel

I wonder how deep sponsorship goes in Epcot. Does the Sponsor pay for the ride and upkeep or just to have their name on the building.

Figments Friend

You may be right, but the fact that the type of "inspiring" and "more intelligent" theme park experience is no longer wanted or desired just makes me despair for certain aspects of society. That might be a little dramatic, but that's overall how things appear to be going.

Where and how this trend started is up for debate and is probably better off on another thread.

Now THAT would be a thread...feel free to start one !

:)

Agree with your points above...and it is a shame that most folks today have little interest in anything not staring at them from a hand held electronic device.
Where is the inspiration in that...?

Figments Friend

I wonder how deep sponsorship goes in Epcot. Does the Sponsor pay for the ride and upkeep or just to have their name on the building.

Both, and then some.
A sponsor helps with costs involved in creating, building, and maintaining a Pavilion or attraction. Monies for such are basically split between Disney and the sponsor, the percentage varies depending on the particular project or 'deal'.

They shoulder many of the costs involved in developing a attraction and usually have some say in the final result. They also contribute a significant amount of money towards building costs.

Sponsors also have to provide big funds to keep the Pavilion or attraction running, paying for upkeep.
They also pay handsomely for the right to display their name or have it associated with the attraction.

Disney always likes to have sponsors for large projects as it means they will not have to pay the entire bill.
This is why you often see a decline in quality at former Pavilions or attractions when a sponsor pulls out or the contract expires with no replacement sponsor on the horizon.

Speaking of horizons, yeah....perfect example....

Voxel

Both, and then some.
They shoulder many of the costs involved in developing a attraction and usually have some say in the final result. They also contribute a significant amount of money towards building costs.

Sponsors also have to provide big funds to keep the Pavilion or attraction running, paying for upkeep.
They also pay handsomely for the right to display their name or have it associated with the attraction.

Disney always likes to have sponsors for large projects as it means they will not have to pay the entire bill.
This is why you often see a decline in quality at former Pavilions or attractions when a sponsor pulls out or the contract expires with no replacement sponsor on the horizon.

Speaking of horizons, yeah....perfect example....
Thank you for that. I was just curious cause even though these sponsors pay for a large part of the attraction they don't seem to take pride in them. I have only been going to Disney since the mid 90s but I don't remember a time when the sponsors were proud of their attractions. If I sponsored an Attraction at Disney World I would advertise it some what.

raymusiccity

We need to get James Cameron on this!!!!! Sorry I needed a little bit of humor, but James Cameron has done alot of research when it comes to Oceanic Exploration and you got to admire the man. On his most recent Dive he helped discover over 10 species.

Exactly. That's why Animal Kingdoms 'Pandora' will be so current. It's been widely reported that James Cameron will be emphasizing underwater environments in the upcoming Avatar sequels. He'll be incorporating footage from his extreme deep sea explorations. These will give imagineers opportunities to tie in to attractions at EPCOT.

Figments Friend

Thank you for that. I was just curious cause even though these sponsors pay for a large part of the attraction they don't seem to take pride in them. I have only been going to Disney since the mid 90s but I don't remember a time when the sponsors were proud of their attractions. If I sponsored an Attraction at Disney World I would advertise it some what.

HP ( the computer company ) seemed fairly excited and proud of their involvement in 'Mission: Space" when it debuted some years ago.
Now, not so sure...with all the recent negative publicity about the attraction.

HP did a entire marketing campaign for their computers and other tech products around the time of it's opening, and in the months afterwards.

Seimens seems pretty thrilled to be associated with 'Spaceship Earth' ...and they did a excelllent job revitalizing the post-show.
Now we just need to see that narration and decent improved....

Kodak used to be thrilled to be associated with the Original JII Pavilion. It was Disney's mistake to change it that soured relations between the two entities, and much later Kodak's financial problems that eventually made them pull out entirely.

Kodak was REALLY miffed when they saw the 'replacement' to the Original.
You thought Eisner was p******d......nothing compared to Kodak's reps.

Voxel

HP ( the computer company ) seemed fairly excited and proud of their involvement in 'Mission: Space" when it debuted some years ago.
Now, not so sure...with all the recent negative publicity about the attraction.

HP did a entire marketing campaign for their computers and other tech products around the time of it's opening, and in the months afterwards.

Kodak used to be thrilled to be associated with the Original JII Pavilion. It was Disney's mistake to change it that soured relations between the two entities, and much later Kodak's financial problems that eventually made them pull out entirely.

Kodak was REALLY miffed when they saw the 'replacement' to the Original.
You thought Eisner was p******d......nothing compared to Kodak's reps.

Thank you for the information. I was very young we both occurred, being only 22 now. So I apologize about my ignorance concerning the matter.

Figments Friend

Thank you for the information. I was very young we both occurred, being only 22 now. So I apologize about my ignorance concerning the matter.

No need to apologize, or feel 'out of the loop'.

I enjoy your posts.
You have a very clear perception of what EPCOT originally was, even though you were so young when you experienced it.

This is why EPCOT Center was the great entity it was.
People who visited it back then REMEMBERED it.
It effected them on a DEEPER level.
The memory of their visit lasted longer then the 2 minute instant gratification moment from a current 'thrill'.
The attractions of the past had a depth to them that carried farther weight.

You 'get it'.
This is a good, and encouraging, thing.

Voxel

No need to apologize, or feel 'out of the loop'.

I enjoy your posts.
You have a very clear perception of what EPCOT originally was, even though you were so young when you experienced it.

This is why EPCOT Center was the great entity it was.
People who visited it back then REMEMBERED it.
It effected them on a DEEPER level.
The memory of their visit lasted longer then the 2 minute instant gratification moment from a current 'thrill'.
The attractions of the past had a depth to them that carried farther weight.

You 'get it'.
This is a good, and encouraging, thing.

Thank you. I have always loved Epcot as a park and maybe one day soon I can help renew that vision as a Disney Imagineer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know, I always kind of wished they traded him. "Hey James, we just bought Star Wars and think we've got the Sci-Fi thing covered. What we'd like you to do though is take another passion of yours, undersea exploration, and really knock our Seas pavilion out of the park."

Exactly - perhaps put a RoV in the Seas which could be operated by a docent and guest show kids what underwater exploration is really like, That would be something that would be FUN and Educational because how many people outside of marine biologists ever get to even operate a Simple RoV and it would allow guests to experience the Seas from a Fishes PoV

Figments Friend

Regarding the idea suggested of getting James Cameron involved in reviving the Seas Pavilion.....

Oh heck, i would be up for that.
Anything is better then that annoying little fish, but i know the vote will be against me with Guest Average.

The Seas Pavilion needs some of that drama back that it once had.
Turning it into a updated exploration lab with a few family friendly distractions would be a nice healthy blend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom