Two levels to Dinosaur???

marr5

The ride mechanism is fantastic. With great theming and a great story, it's a win/win. Dinosaur has neither. It's nothing but black room sets, with cheap AA's and bad thematics.

no the cheap AA are the dancing mummies in universal.

EpcotServo

They are anything but cheap. It`s the attractions upkeep that lets it down.

And yes, you constantly drop and go up a level.

You forget, I know firsthand that anything a Disney fan doesn't like they call A: "Cheap" or B: "A Mess", even though everything at Disney isn't even CLOSE to being in either of those two descriptors.
:lol: :brick:

Grizzly Hall 71

Dinosaur is hands down the best ride at AK. Sure Indy blows it out of the water but because indy's story can be expanded more with all the different thematic elements you encounter. Dinosaur is really an escape from, dinosaurs. I don't understand what's to hate about it. The only people i see who hate it are smaller kids because the darkness. And now i ask this some say when you look at indy you could see what dinosau could have been, well what could it have been. And i've been riding since ctx and the only time i saw a "wall" was in a breakdown. Please elaborate on what it could have been cause I don't understand the universal hate.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
sorry I have to disagree with the "Good story" comment, I know 4 year olds that could come up with a more compelling story than that one.

Grizzly Hall 71

There's only so much you can do with a dinosaur storyline. Unlike indy you can't really expand upon certain elements or you'll stand at risk of being scientifically inaccurate.

That's still my question here how would you change the story then to make it better.

_Scar

Why is Dinosaur getting hate? It's the same ride as Indy, and there's no way to justify Indiana Jones in DAK. IMO Dinosaur is one of the best WDW rides. It never fails to scare the crap out of me.

_Scar

sorry I have to disagree with the "Good story" comment, I know 4 year olds that could come up with a more compelling story than that one.

Oh really? :lookaroun

How could you tell a story going back in time without trying to get something or do something?

What are some of your ideas?

JediMasterMatt

Darkness the Ride or is it Loudness the Dark? I can't seem to remember which it is. What I do know is that Dinosaur is just a mess of an attraction.

Too dark to see anything. Too much of the thrill coming from the loud noises coming from things you really can't see well enough to apperciate.

Granted, I never got to see the attraction when it was new and if it had significantly more potential when the upkeep was better. My only thought about that is even if the AAs and sets were in better shape, the whole idea as an attraction just seems so silly. Driving around in a time traveling jeep through the jungle. I mean, there isn't nearly enough room between those trees to get it up to 88mph.

Doc Brown could've used the meteor strike to get the 1.21 gigawatts to the flux capacitor; however, we would've needed to wait a while to have the dinosaurs turn into fossil fuel for the combustion engine though.

Put me down in the camp that still likes the dinosaurs at Energy better.

_Scar

Darkness the Ride or is it Loudness the Dark? I can't seem to remember which it is. What I do know is that Dinosaur is just a mess of an attraction.

Too dark to see anything. Too much of the thrill coming from the loud noises coming from things you really can't see well enough to apperciate.

Granted, I never got to see the attraction when it was new and if it had significantly more potential when the upkeep was better. My only thought about that is even if the AAs and sets were in better shape, the whole idea as an attraction just seems so silly. Driving around in a time traveling jeep through the jungle. I mean, there isn't nearly enough room between those trees to get it up to 88mph.

Doc Brown could've used the meteor strike to get the 1.21 gigawatts to the flux capacitor; however, we would've needed to wait a while to have the dinosaurs turn into fossil fuel for the combustion engine though.

Put me down in the camp that still likes the dinosaurs at Energy better.

It is dark and loud.... but I don't expect a Dinosaur ride to be a quiet and sunny experience! I also see the dinosaurs no problem and the upkeep seems fine. Can you point out what doesn't have a good upkeep on the ride? I'm dying to know because I can't think of anything.

I also don't see how a trip through the Dinosaur's time is any sillier than a jeep ride through the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Plus, Dinosaurs were real before believe it or not lol

I think DAK went all out on Dinosaur. I notice the GIANT Carnotaurus (spelling?) around 3 or 4 times and 2 of those times for split seconds. To me, those details matter and they went the extra mile to make a great, great ride that supported DAK before Everest ever moved in. Even 11 years old, I still consider it top of the line.

Phonedave

Oh really? :lookaroun

How could you tell a story going back in time without trying to get something or do something?

What are some of your ideas?

Well, I am not going to come up with a new storyline here, just point some things out.

1. The attraction is for the most part loud noise and sets with a lot of "jungle" thrown in. That's really not very innovative.

2. Plot holes. Why do we have to go back in time to just before the meteor strike? Why not go back to 5 days before the strike? The same dinosaur is still going to be around.

3. Plot holes - We are in a machine that travels through time - how do we get stuck in mud.

4. Plot holes - For that matter why do we have to drive around in the first place if there is a tracer in the dino we want. Just 'port right to it.

It's not a bad ride. In fact it is a good ride. It could just be a BETTER ride.

-dave

Grizzly Hall 71

Why is Dinosaur getting hate? It's the same ride as Indy, and there's no way to justify Indiana Jones in DAK. IMO Dinosaur is one of the best WDW rides. It never fails to scare the crap out of me.
Thank you scar for defending dinosaur like I am. I jus don't understand how much story is expected based of dinosaurs. It's not like Indy where you can throw in gods, snakes, skulls, and what not.

_Scar

Thank you scar for defending dinosaur like I am. I jus don't understand how much story is expected based of dinosaurs. It's not like Indy where you can throw in gods, snakes, skulls, and what not.

Yes. Aside from time travelling- since we can't just steal Jurassic Park's idea (which I think Dinosaur is leaps and bounds better than[the ride]), the ride MUST be accurate.

Well, I am not going to come up with a new storyline here, just point some things out.

1. The attraction is for the most part loud noise and sets with a lot of "jungle" thrown in. That's really not very innovative.

2. Plot holes. Why do we have to go back in time to just before the meteor strike? Why not go back to 5 days before the strike? The same dinosaur is still going to be around.

3. Plot holes - We are in a machine that travels through time - how do we get stuck in mud.

4. Plot holes - For that matter why do we have to drive around in the first place if there is a tracer in the dino we want. Just 'port right to it.

It's not a bad ride. In fact it is a good ride. It could just be a BETTER ride.

1. what other BG music do you suggest though? There has to be some noise along with the Dino growls.

2. There were no calendars back then to track when meteor showers were :animwink:

3. It is a time rover which means on wheels- so maybe the wheels get stuck? :shrug:

4. Dinosaurs had no tracking devices :lol:

Plot holes are in every ride if you keep asking the question why. Name one ride that doesn't.

Phonedave

Yes. Aside from time travelling- since we can't just steal Jurassic Park's idea (which I think Dinosaur is leaps and bounds better than[the ride]), the ride MUST be accurate.

1. what other BG music do you suggest though? There has to be some noise along with the Dino growls.

Not different BGM, but more storytelling rather than Seeker yelling in your ear in a dark room.

2. There were no calendars back then to track when meteor showers were :animwink:

This is not the first trip back in time. It is a proven technology that has been tested. Thats why you - as a "tour group" are allowed onto it. The original trip before Seeker went and reprogrammed it - according to Mrs. Huxtable - was far in time away from the meteor strike.

3. It is a time rover which means on wheels- so maybe the wheels get stuck? :shrug:

Just saying, the Rover can travel through time, but it gets stuck in the mud :veryconfu What's next? It runs out of gas?

4. Dinosaurs had no tracking devices :lol:

This one did. Seeker "tagged it on a previous 'unauthorized' trip" - Shows you how many times I have ridden the thing :)

Plot holes are in every ride if you keep asking the question why. Name one ride that doesn't.

Again, it's not comparing it to others, it is looking at this one as a single entity. And this singular ride lacks immersive storytelling, has a story based on a shaky premis, and has plot holes you can drive a truck through.

-dave

mcjaco

They are anything but cheap. It`s the attractions upkeep that lets it down.

The level of detail and the movements I find to be poor by Disney standards.

It's not the same as Indy, but to say the theming is bad is simply not accurate, in my opinion.

If you like black rooms with fake plants in black lights, by all means then. :lookaroun

You forget, I know firsthand that anything a Disney fan doesn't like they call A: "Cheap" or B: "A Mess", even though everything at Disney isn't even CLOSE to being in either of those two descriptors.
:lol: :brick:

I can come up with some other detracting words. Would you like that better? :lol:

Again, it's not comparing it to others, it is looking at this one as a single entity. And this singular ride lacks immersive storytelling, has a story based on a shaky premise, and has plot holes you can drive a truck through.

Exactly. It's not a good overall ride. And that's my opinion, to which I'm entitled too. :p

_Scar

If you like black rooms with fake plants in black lights, by all means then. :lookaroun

I don't get what lacks detail on Dinosaur?! Give examples, debate 101.... I find Dinosaur very detailed to the point of not catching everything on one single ride through.

And do you expect to see real plants in white room? You do know this is a ride and we really aren't in the dino-times :lol::lookaroun... right? I don't remember any blacklights. Where in fact are these blacklights?

If you knitpick this ride this much you must hate a lot of Disney rides. And that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There's only so much you can do with a dinosaur storyline. Unlike indy you can't really expand upon certain elements or you'll stand at risk of being scientifically inaccurate.

That's still my question here how would you change the story then to make it better.

It's the acting, the very loose "we're going on an unauthorized mission" and so conveniently get in with the password, stuff like that. It feels very chilidish for a more teen/adult ride.

The storyline IMO should have built up further, there's really no good reason why we're going back in time, just to pick up a dinosaur that we don't actually pick up because it's not on our jeep when we finish.

To me, the whole ride is just extremely loud noises in darkness and bumpiness with a few dino AA's thrown in. Indy is light years better.

Rob562

The storyline IMO should have built up further, there's really no good reason why we're going back in time, just to pick up a dinosaur that we don't actually pick up because it's not on our jeep when we finish.

Not that I want to join the debate, but Seeker never says that you'll be picking him up in the rover, just that when you find him he'll expand the transport field, which would bring the dino back with you. When the laser portals were working, you could see one of them partially envelop the Iguanodon at the end.

There was also a Pepper's Ghost effect that was planned for the end of the ride where in the mirror you'd see in the Iguanodon stick his head out from the time tunnel behind you, hence the line "...and look who made it back with you!"
They couldn't get the effect to work to their satisfaction, so it was cut (and I don't have any confirmation as to whether or not the effect was even installed in the attraction and just never used). In its place they just put one of the feed from the post-show monitors showing the Iguanodon roaming the corridors, but a lot of people miss that.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nah.... I still find them great. Not compliance, but far better than say CBJ. It`s the ones that don`t move anymore that annoy me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom