Two coasts: One very different world

spacemt354

Chili's
Let all the folks who believe they are getting a big, new, EXPANDED MK read this over a few times and then look at what they really are getting and what the word expansion means.

I read it over. Still sounds like an expansion to me. I don't know why this project is being disputed as something less than an expansion. Some may claim that this isn't an expansion because most of the area under construction was used before by 20LutS and Toontown. Well, would you rather have the 20LutS space be left empty? And would you rather have Toontown be left in the state of limbo that it was? Toontown was never meant to be permanent, but now we have a whole new, well-themed land that can finally have a permanent home in the MK. Call it what you want, this project is "expanding" the depth to the Magic Kingdom to places that has never been there before. It unifies Fantasyland and "expands" the story-telling in ways that I am interesting in seeing. The amount of new experiences alone and the lush detail that is incorporated into the entire project deems it worthy of being dubbed an expansion to me.

OrangeTree

I don't see anything "lower quality" about the new Dumbos, their queue, train station, area theming or even Caseys. In fact, it looks like they went the extra mile in the improvements and theming. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way, but they can't please everyone.
That's not the point. The point is growth. Fantasyland isn't growth. All of these improvements are indeed improvements, but they are ones that the park is begging for and should have been here in 1996.

That's when all this was planned for. Yes. 1996. In 1992 there were rumblings about finally axing poor 20LutS and the ideas for meet and greets and DLP stylings came into being.

Twenty years later...? And we get the fix we needed the second that 20 closed? It's nice to finally get it and solve a problem, but Disney needs to go beyond that now. I expect them to. Once FLE is open... is that it for another 20 years? Just like how Splash Mountain opened up in 1992 and that was it for a while?

That is NOT the quality and excitement I expect out of Disney, the company who brought us EPCOT Center, Tokyo Disneyland, MGM Studios, and a bevy of fantastic E tickets all in one decade.

OrangeTree

I read it over. Still sounds like an expansion to me. I don't know why this project is being disputed as something less than an expansion. Some may claim that this isn't an expansion because most of the area under construction was used before by 20LutS and Toontown. Well, would you rather have the 20LutS space be left empty? And would you rather have Toontown be left in the state of limbo that it was? Toontown was never meant to be permanent, but now we have a whole new, well-themed land that can finally have a permanent home in the MK. Call it what you want, this project is "expanding" the depth to the Magic Kingdom to places that has never been there before. It unifies Fantasyland and "expands" the story-telling in ways that I am interesting in seeing. The amount of new experiences alone and the lush detail that is incorporated into the entire project deems it worthy of being dubbed an expansion to me.
Yes, it will be great for story, but what about operations? The place will be mobbed. What will pick up the crowds? I honestly wonder how MK will handle crowds after FLE when it can barely handle them now.

The 1992-1996 that is Fantasyland is not going to help out 2012 Magic Kingdom, even though all those pour souls at TDO hope so, while Burbank rolls their eyes.

misterID

An entire redo of ALL of Fantasyland, including all facades and interiors of shops and dining that previously existed, all attractions would also receive a thorough cleaning and plussing ... and the 'new' addition area was going to include another attraction ... an E-Ticket based on Disney's oldest and best known characters as the centerpiece.

That was cut way back before the D23 thing ever happened.

This is the first I've heard of this. What was the ride going to be?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Gee, I wonder what kids did for the first 3-4 decades of Disney parks without being able to get half (or in some cases fully) naked and run around a giant spirnkler in a theme park. And then to not be soaked all/half the day ... I don't know how my folks ever took me to a THEME park without packing a bathing suit for me ...

I was only responding to the question of 'why do something here when there is a pool over there' - well obviously because.. ITS OVER THERE and not over HERE

They serve a purpose - the question is only if they fit what you want the park to be and how that influences guests.

lazyboy97o

If you gut a room at your home and redo it, do you tell people you've just expanded your house? Even if you've expanded the quality of materials and comfort of the place? Disney is not using the term metaphorically. I also fail to see how Fantasyland is being unified. They're building a wall to separate two parts instead of redoing facades as planned and Storybook Circus is not related to much of anything else.

wdwfan22

An entire redo of ALL of Fantasyland, including all facades and interiors of shops and dining that previously existed, all attractions would also receive a thorough cleaning and plussing ... and the 'new' addition area was going to include another attraction ... an E-Ticket based on Disney's oldest and best known characters as the centerpiece.

Just because it was envisioned doesn't mean it's going to happen or was even really being considered. All future plans have always been elabrate, that is nothing new. Imagineer's are dreamers and they dream big when they pitch a project, however that doesn't mean it's going to see the light of day or was even really being considered. Personally if that were true i'm glad it did get slashed. That kind of expansion isn't needed right now for Magic Kingdom Park. Other parks are more in need of expansion. I think what we are getting is fine and will be welcomed and enjoyed by all guest.

DznyRktekt

This is sad and extremely disappointing.

spacemt354

Chili's
If you gut a room at your home and redo it, do you tell people you've just expanded your house? Even if you've expanded the quality of materials and comfort of the place? Disney is not using the term metaphorically. I also fail to see how Fantasyland is being unified. They're building a wall to separate two parts instead of redoing facades as planned and Storybook Circus is not related to much of anything else.

If the room completely disappears for several years, then you build a brand new, more "expansive" room, then yes I call that an expansion. That is exactly what is happening with the FLE. Fantasyland is being unified story-wise. In animated films such as snow white, there is typically a castle, a castle courtyard, and a forest beyond the castle walls. Up until this point, FL only had the first two components. Now it will have the forest and the extension of the castle wall. The castle wall doesn't act as a barrier to guests. It's all part of the storytelling and it's certainly not tall enough to block the views of what is behind it. Storybook Circus is an whole different aspect. It's supposed to be a circus show that has stopped on an old train line in the middle of open land, surrounded by hills. That will all make more sense when the hills of the Snow White Mine Train are complete.

Can I ask why some people are making a huge deal about a water play area designed for toddlers? Toddlers can't have a play area, are the adults jealous?

OrangeTree

Just because it was envisioned doesn't mean it's going to happen or was even really being considered. All future plans have always been elabrate, that is nothing new. Imagineer's are dreamers and they dream big when they pitch a project, however that doesn't mean it's going to see the light of day or was even really being considered. Personally if that were true i'm glad it did get slashed. That kind of expansion isn't needed right now for Magic Kingdom Park. Other parks are more in need of expansion. I think what we are getting is fine and will be welcomed and enjoyed by all guest.
How is expansion like that not needed when the place is bursting at the seams and hasn't seen a new E Ticket since 1992? Have you seen the throngs of people that clutter up the walkways at night? How POTC and HM often reach 30 mins?

The place need something new to soak up all those people that choose to visit The Best Theme Park In The World, According To Phil Holmes.

AEfx

I have been to both resorts, and I can assure you, with 100% certainty, that the west coast parks are so far removed from "boring" that it is comical to even make a statement like that. Yes there is less property, but how that = boring, I do not know.

Yup, unlike some places at WDW where you can walk a thousand feet and not come near any attraction.

That's the beauty of Disneyland - it's a completely different experience, but anyone who says "boring" has never been there before.

Cosmic Commando

Yup, unlike some places at WDW where you can walk a thousand feet and not come near any attraction.

That's the beauty of Disneyland - it's a completely different experience, but anyone who says "boring" has never been there before.
I'll just throw this out there again: this is the same scale on Wikimapia/Google Maps. Disneyland Resort and its whole stable of attractions fit in an area roughly comparable to Epcot.

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

Pentacat

Can I ask why some people are making a huge deal about a water play area designed for toddlers? Toddlers can't have a play area, are the adults jealous?

Have you seen the pictures or videos? I'd hardly call it "toddler friendly" given that the ground is not some kind of soft surface and the amount of water being used is more fire hose than garden hose.

Clever Name

That's a case of packing a whole lot of awesome into a small space.
Size matters not.
It mattered to Walt. He was very emphatic that Disneyland was too small. Of course, if you like your theme parks to be crushed on all sides by a dirty city, then Disneyland and its old parking lot is your place.

Tom

Beta Return
It mattered to Walt. He was very emphatic that Disneyland was too small. Of course, if you like your theme parks to be crushed on all sides by a dirty city, then Disneyland and its old parking lot is your place.

The Disneyland property, as a whole, was too small. Not necessarily the park. WDW's MK and Disneyland Park are comparable in size (roughly). Walt just wanted room in Florida to build his city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom