TWDC 2QFY16 Earnings Call Thread

alphac2005

So wdw attendance is down from the same time last year - gee let's look at all that has gone on

Price increases
Budget cuts
Failed attraction openings
Water park closures due to issues
More price increases
Rinse and repeat

Sounds like a magical place to visit

We visited the MK for the first time in five years this past weekend and I'm going to do a trip report later in the week on the boards. Most interesting to say the least. The price increases are staggering throughout every component and the property simply looks rundown and tired. The amount of non-working show elements on attractions It's a Small World to the flat out rust all over the Space Mountain building really says a lot about what's going on there. If they have successive quarters of down attendance at WDW, I think it will be clear that the public is pushing back against their new pricing schemes.

jt04

Gee even with cutting everyhing including the Kitchen sink Iger and the Igerbots can't even touch 'Good Eisner's margins which were 20-25% and he was INVESTING in the parks.

Animation and live action films make his tenure look weak. Parks will soon do the same.

glvsav37

Talkin Disney infinity's shutdown.....

we thought we had a really good opportunity to launch into console space..... we did quite well with first iteration but that business is a changing business and did not have enough confidence in the business being stable enough to be in the self publishing business.... a good part of the write off we just did was the inventory

we fgeel it is the changing space and better off managing the risk by licensing than publishing. we made a good product, it was extremely well recieved.... risk caught up with us

No...the consumers distain of needing to buy a whole new gamepad each time you floated an update caught up with you.

That was the biggest turn-off for me. Release a whole new set of characters, but they are only compatible with the newest pad, so you were making people shell out $79 in order to use a $20 character. Just wasn't worth it in the end for us.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It was last on the list even before Shanghai. They have ground to make up and the are well on the way. A little more patience. 2017 begins the new era.

looks like 2016 has begun a new era with the way this year has been going - just hope it doesn't continue because they are headed in the wrong direction BIG time (issues, delays, price increases, cuts, etc)

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Would really like to know where you get this attitude that the "middle class" could always afford to go. My parents were firmly in the middle class when i was growing up in the 60's and early 70's, and we could never afford to go either to DL or WDW.

I think it's simply stunning that you think this way.

My parents were also firmly in the middle class and could afford to go to WDW. Anecdotal evidence does not equal proof.

jt04

looks like 2016 has begun a new era with the way this year has been going - just hope it doesn't continue because they are headed in the wrong direction BIG time (issues, delays, price increases, cuts, etc)

I just disagree. People are holding off for new attractions which start coming online in weeks. Disney has had to deal with what is a nearly 'no growth' economy the last 8 years. And still they have added and are adding significantly to the parks. It really is amazing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No...the consumers distain of needing to buy a whole new gamepad each time you floated an update caught up with you.

That was the biggest turn-off for me. Release a whole new set of characters, but they are only compatible with the newest pad, so you were making people shell out $79 in order to use a $20 character. Just wasn't worth it in the end for us.

Completely agree. I think it was a great design just not executed.

Sorta like rivers of light :cool:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I just disagree. People are holding off for new attractions which start coming online in weeks. Disney has had to deal with what is a nearly 'no growth' economy the last 8 years. And still they have added and are adding significantly to the parks. It really is amazing.

Most guests have no clue what is coming and when...I don't buy that. I think it's sticker shock at the price to go these days and those that do go often the quality decrease

jt04

Anyone else get the feeling Iger is gonna leave WDW as one big giant turd in the punch bowl that his successor will have to try and polish after all is said and (not) done

I hate to call this thinking many have here delusional but I am getting close to it. 3 major lands opening in the next 3 years is happening.

jt04

Most guests have no clue what is coming and when...I don't buy that. I think it's sticker shock at the price to go these days and those that do go often the quality decrease

People have been complaining about ticket prices since the place opened. You get much more for your dollar at a Disney park than any other. By a wide margin.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
People have been complaining about ticket prices since the place opened. You get much more for your dollar at a Disney park than any other. By a wide margin.

That I agree with, (not sure I would say wide tho) but it takes way too many of those dollars these days

I'm just glad the after hours events will help offset their struggle. Oh wait

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

No whats amazing is the amount of mince you spout. Your ability to spout excreta is simply unbridled. It must have been one hell of a height you were dropped from as a child. Though it may be a pharmaceutical inspired episode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom