TWDC 2QFY16 Earnings Call Thread

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Earnings for P&R:

For the quarter, P&R pulled $3.9B this year, up 4% over 2QFY15's $3.7B.

For the six months ended, looking at $8.2B in revenue for Q1&Q2 for P&R. Up 7% over last year.

Here's what the Mouse had to say...

Parks and Resorts

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 4% to $3.9 billion and segment operating income increased 10% to $624 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations. The current quarter reflected an offsetting impact from a shift in the timing of the New Year’s and Easter holidays relative to our fiscal periods. The current quarter was adversely impacted by the absence of several days of the New Year’s holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the prior year. This impact was essentially offset by the benefit of the two-week Easter holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the current year compared to the third quarter of the prior year.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was due to guest spending growth, partially offset by higher costs. The increase in guest spending was due to higher average ticket prices at our theme parks and cruise line, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation and higher depreciation associated with new attractions. Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Lower operating income at our international operations was due to higher pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney Resort, increased operating costs at Disneyland Paris and lower volume at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, partially offset by higher guest spending at Disneyland Paris.

(Bold added by me)

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Other thought, before the call starts..... ESPN's lack of growth is gonna be a problem. Wall Streets gonna pound that like a bunch of fratties doing fireball before last call. Of course, Wall Street can't see past ESPN to what the rest of the company is doing....

Revenue at Cable Networks is down from 2QFY15 by 2% or $75M. (That aint #@#%!) Overall cable networks revenue up for the year by 3%, $8.4B to $8.1B last year.

Dave's hot take on P&R? You have 4% growth due to increased costs and continued cuts everywhere. At least they admit it....

Second hot take? Much better audio quality than in the past for the hold music.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Earnings for P&R:

For the quarter, P&R pulled $3.9B this year, up 4% over 2QFY15's $3.7B.

For the six months ended, looking at $8.2B in revenue for Q1&Q2 for P&R. Up 7% over last year.

Here's what the Mouse had to say...

Parks and Resorts

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 4% to $3.9 billion and segment operating income increased 10% to $624 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations. The current quarter reflected an offsetting impact from a shift in the timing of the New Year’s and Easter holidays relative to our fiscal periods. The current quarter was adversely impacted by the absence of several days of the New Year’s holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the prior year. This impact was essentially offset by the benefit of the two-week Easter holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the current year compared to the third quarter of the prior year.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was due to guest spending growth, partially offset by higher costs. The increase in guest spending was due to higher average ticket prices at our theme parks and cruise line, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation and higher depreciation associated with new attractions. Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Lower operating income at our international operations was due to higher pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney Resort, increased operating costs at Disneyland Paris and lower volume at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, partially offset by higher guest spending at Disneyland Paris.

(Bold added by me)

Looks like the Spirit @WDW1974 was right and gate clicks are now declining at WDW

Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Gee this would not have ANYTHING to do with the massive price increases at WDW and the CUTS in service and quality would it...

So much for the meme that 'THE RUBES WILL l ALWAYS COME TO WDW NO MATTER WHAT"

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Looks like the Spirit @WDW1974 was right and gate clicks are now declining at WDW

Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Gee this would not have ANYTHING to do with the massive price increases at WDW and the CUTS in service and quality would it...

So much for the meme that 'THE RUBES WILL l ALWAYS COME TO WDW NO MATTER WHAT"
I thought the following quote was most interesting: "Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort."

Looks like I have homework for my crowd level spreadsheets later..... Gotta see what that suggests. (Yes, I know that Crowd level DOES NOT EQUAL attendance but it shows how busy the place is and trends)

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if it was part of this report specifically, but it was reported elsewhere that Disney Infinity was being canceled (the video game). Apparently with Disney getting out of the game publishing business. Odd because i was under the impression Infinity was very successful. Makes me wonder what will happen to Kingdom Hearts or other Disney published games (perhaps EA will publish now)...

Also perhaps related to lower wdw attendance (for future reports anyway)- Magic Kingdom was fairly dead yesterday evening. Splash, POTC and HM were all walk-ons (with even 7dmt and Peter Pan having much lower wait times than normal, Space Mountain had a very short posted wait) and far fewer people were on Main Street during the parade than normal). Don't know how normal that is for this time of year (day after Mothers Day and the Invictus games are going on currently, i thought it would be packed). Lines at DHS and Epcot also seemed low. Wonder if it was just "slow season" or if attendance is going to start suffering. Visited Epcot a few days ago too and also seemed slow.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Highlights: 11th straight quarter with double digit growth.

Star Wars TFP - $2.1B Globally.

Zootopia the highest grossing animated film in China.

No company does a better job of extending the value of a franchise

P&R: Investments made continue to pay off. New 2q records set in revenue & operating income. Attendance was comprable domestically, spending per captata up 8%, occupancy down 1% to 88%

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't know if it was part of this report specifically, but it was reported elsewhere that Disney Infinity was being canceled (the video game). Apparently with Disney getting out of the game publishing business. Odd because i was under the impression Infinity was very successful. Makes me wonder what will happen to Kingdom Hearts or other Disney published games (perhaps EA will publish now)...

Also perhaps related to lower wdw attendance (for future reports anyway)- Magic Kingdom was fairly dead yesterday evening (Splash, POTC and HM were all walk-ons and far fewer people were on Main Street during the parade than normal). Don't know how normal that is for this time of year (day after Mothers Day and the Invictus games are going on currently, i thought it would be packed). Lines at DHS and Epcot also seemed low. Wonder if it was just "slow season" or if attendance is going to start suffering. Visited Epcot a few days ago too and also seemed slow.

Is anyone surprised that price increases and service cuts would eventually impact attendance, Ordinarily I'd be at WDW now but with all the cuts and closures the trip did not seem worthwhile this year and I let my AP expire last August for the same reason.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Also perhaps related to lower wdw attendance (for future reports anyway)- Magic Kingdom was fairly dead yesterday evening. Splash, POTC and HM were all walk-ons (with even 7dmt and Peter Pan having much lower wait times than normal, Space Mountain had a very short posted wait) and far fewer people were on Main Street during the parade than normal). Don't know how normal that is for this time of year (day after Mothers Day and the Invictus games are going on currently, i thought it would be packed). Lines at DHS and Epcot also seemed low. Wonder if it was just "slow season" or if attendance is going to start suffering. Visited Epcot a few days ago too and also seemed slow.

That was just mentuioned, their straegy is to just license instead of putting forth their own studios

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom