'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

Vegas Disney Fan

Seems like Pixar’s lost a bit of their Midas touch over the last few years, I’ve enjoyed all their recent movies like Turning Red, Luca, Soul, and the multiple sequels but I don’t think they’ll reach the same iconic status that Coco, Brave, Inside Out, Wall-E, etc did.

Sir_Cliff

Seems like Pixar’s lost a bit of their Midas touch over the last few years, I’ve enjoyed all their recent movies like Turning Red, Luca, Soul, and the multiple sequels but I don’t think they’ll reach the same iconic status that Coco, Brave, Inside Out, Wall-E, etc did.
I think it's harder to tell now that we don't have box office figures to point to as we move through a transitional period of how people view movies. Luca, though, was the most-streamed movie of 2021 which has to count for something. The only reason we really have an instant sense of Encanto's success on streaming is due to the soundtrack suddenly becoming a monster hit. People are certainly talking a lot about Turning Red, though.

Personally, I think Pixar is finding its way again after going too far down the road of churning out forgettable sequels to their big hits. They seem to be betting on smaller films with a singular creative vision such as Luca and Turning Red which I think have a greater chance of finding and connecting with their audience than, say, Monster's University or Finding Dory which made a ton of money but are hardly likely to become beloved classics.

In their time, films like Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Coco were also riskier propositions which under-performed earlier Pixar hits at the box office. They have gone on, though, to be quite beloved.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Up until Toy Story 4 in June of 2019, there were 21 Pixar movies. Only 8 of them were sequels. So just one out of three.

And the last two sequels (Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4) both got very high marks from both critics and audiences (a handful of people who didn't like TS4 because "the story was finished in TS3!" doesn't mean the overwhelming majority of people had the same opinion -- in actuality, very few seemed to have that opinion). And they both made over $1B.

The same for Finding Dory, but not so much for Cars 3.

So, of the last four franchise movies, Pixar struck gold with 3 out of 4 of them.

Also, "new stories" don't also guarantee critical success. I'm looking at you, The Good Dinosaur.

Onward, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red are original stories. And Lightyear will be another franchise. This keeps the ratio of original v. franchise the same.

Pixar has been doing this at roughly this ratio since the beginning. Toy Story 2 was their third movie.

So, I don't get the complaint that there's too many sequels now as compared to the past. There has always been been, approximately, a sequel for every two new stories. And the Cars franchise is the only one that was unsuccessful (compared to the other Pixar movies).

Over at Disney Animation Studios, they do a franchise film about one out of five times.

Of course, such calculations become messy when you consider how DisneyToon used to crank out straight to video sequels. And how Disney channel and D+ create franchise content in the form of animated series. When you strike gold, it's hard not to keep going back to that vein.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

So, I don't get the complaint that there's too many sequels now as compared to the past. There has always been been, approximately, a sequel for every two new stories. And the Cars franchise is the only one that was unsuccessful (compared to the other Pixar movies).
I think the issue is more that the balance became increasingly tilted toward sequels. For example, out of the first 10 Pixar films, 1 was a sequel. Out of the next 10 Pixar films, 6 were sequels.

Out of the next 5, we've so far had 1 sequel which I think is a far better mix and suggests a more interesting and creative studio, IMO.

I certainly understand the financial incentive for making so many sequels and they have mostly been well-received. Pixar, though, initially established its reputation for fresh and original stories that sometimes stretched the boundaries for themes covered in mainstream US animation. I think that reputation began to slowly drain away as every second movie became a sequel to the most marketable films from their initial glory days. However, moving back to taking some creative risks with original films like Coco, Soul, and Turning Red suggests, at least to me, they're getting back to what initially made the studio successful. That risk does also mean that sometimes things won't quite connect with an audience.

It is fairly subjective, though, and an analysis of how much money the studio is bringing in probably suggests they should stick to sequels!

Magenta Panther

Anyone criticizing this film for the topics it touches on… needs to go to therapy.

This is a great little film, with such heart. My 4 year old niece has already watched it 5 times and loves it. (And the references all go over her head).

Doctor: What seems to be the trouble?

Me: Well, Doc, for some reason, I don't find the idea of a homely bean-mouthed little girl whose mom shows up at her school waving a box of maxi-pads entertaining.

Doctor: I see. I'll write you a prescription for 200 mils of fairy dust. It'll help you uncritically embrace anything Disney puts out.

Me: But Doc, Disney's putting out subpar rides and subpar guest experiences and charging exorbitant fees and basing entertainment on politics and...

Doctor: Try not to overdose.

dreday3

Me: Well, Doc, for some reason, I don't find the idea of a homely bean-mouthed little girl whose mom shows up at her school waving a box of maxi-pads entertaining.

Doctor: I see. I'll write you a prescription for 200 mils of fairy dust. It'll help you uncritically embrace anything Disney puts out.

Me: But Doc, Disney's putting out subpar rides and subpar guest experiences and charging exorbitant fees and basing entertainment on politics and...

Why? Why would you even type that?

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Gee I enjoyed the film without pixie dust. I must have got my opinion wrong .

Vegas Disney Fan

Why? Why would you even type that?
I wouldn’t have thought of wording it that way but after looking at a few pictures it’s appropriate. Both Turning Red and Luca have a different look compared to previous Pixar films, my impression was they had taken on a Peanuts/Charlie Brown style look but now that Magenta mentioned it it’s the mouths, they don’t have points anymore, they look like beans. It’s an interesting creative decision.

Off topic but I actually liked TS4 more than TS3. 🤭 I said it.

I loved TS4 also, great story, I still prefer originals though.

WDWJoeG

Agree, not sure a short film designed for health classes is comparable to a full length feature film designed as entertainment.

That said Red Panda was fairly subtle, not exactly in your face about the subject.
Uh, it was a joke?

Also, what is this "Red Panda" you speak of? Is that a National Geographic feature about Panda menstruation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom