'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

Ghost93

Why is talking about periods seen as so controversial? It happens to EVERY cisgender girl/woman at some point so I don't see why it's so taboo. It happens! The more stuff like this normalized in family movies, the less awkward and embarrassing it should be for girls when they go through it!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I guess I just don't see a young girl having a crush, hormones and possibly starting her period as uncomfortable discussions.
And if a child is too young to know what it all is, then it probably went over their head anyways. The only mention of her period was the mom coming out with all the boxes of pads, which was a funny scene for the adults in the room.

I mean, it's not like there was some kind of sex scene! Now that was embarrassing to watch with parents.... I shudder.

But hey, everyone reacts differently to things. :)

Yeah I feel like it's very similar to Inside Out in that way.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Why is talking about periods seen as so controversial? It happens to EVERY cisgender girl/woman at some point so I don't see why it's so taboo. It happens! The more stuff like this normalized in family movies, the less awkward and embarrassing it should be for girls when they go through it!
I did see a lot of comments that were really heart warming about parents of boys having conversations about periods with their boys because of the movie and that's so important because those poor girls that get their first one at school would be so much less embarrassed if everyone just knew what it was and didn't make it into a big thing

Fox&Hound

We saw it and liked it. Not our favorite Pixar offering, but it has a very positive message. As a father of an eight-year old girl who is very much entering puberty, I think it is great to de-stigmatize the topic of having her period and so I think that is a success. I understand how some parents might be surprised by some of the topics covered, but Disney handled it well and this can hopefully lead to some positive conversations. I also really enjoyed how supportive her friend group was and how the Dad was handled- not a buffoon to sit on the sidelines but who actually plays a great role in the film.

Animaniac93-98

It's not the way the movie addressed the subjects, it's that the subjects were brought up at all. Again, I have no problem with it because we're open in my house. But the criticism is that in the first five minutes of the movie you have a bunch of little kids now asking big questions about life and human reproduction that parents weren't ready to discuss with them yet. That's how I understand the criticism, anyway.

And in a foundational way, I do understand it being frustrating to have a Disney movie force you to have "the talk" with your young kid when you thought it was about a girl who couldn't control her anger, lol. But I think the movie is maybe also doing those parents a huge favor by opening up those uncomfortable conversations in such a lighthearted way.

Compared to EPCOT Center's The Making of Me, or Walt Disney's The Story of Menstruation [yes, a real thing] this film is tame, lol.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I did see a lot of comments that were really heart warming about parents of boys having conversations about periods with their boys because of the movie and that's so important because those poor girls that get their first one at school would be so much less embarrassed if everyone just knew what it was and didn't make it into a big thing
You have to teach them that a real gentleman can buy feminine hygiene products for their lady alone in a drugstore.

doctornick

I was kind of shocked to read that people were uncomfortable with the topics this morning. The movie made getting your period and having a crush so disneyfied, everyone should want to get their period! :D

Honestly, her "changes" were so barely addressed outright...anyways, it's hard for me to imagine what was uncomfortable about it. The crush was so innocent. But we don't have kids, so I guess it's not for me to understand.

We got to watching it today and I had seen the comments about it being "uncomfortable" particularly for young boys so we were a little nervous, but it was pretty benign to me. My older boys had some knowledge of menstruation from school and it didn't seem to phase them at all; my youngest it just went over his head I think. But moreso, it was such a small unremarkable thing that it is weird to me that (some) people are upset about it. It's almost "blink or you miss it".

And what's weird about someone having a crush on someone? That seems like something pretty typical for a Disney film.

StarWarsGirl

That score represents the audience's 'thumbs up or thumbs down.' Their rating puts it at 70 (normalized for a 100 scale).

The critics' thumbs up is at 95% and their score is 80. (And Metacritic's critics' score is 83). Which is very good.

View attachment 626886

RT's audience score is based on somewhere over a thousand 'reviews.'

Over on IMDB, which has 15,000 audience reviews, it is at 72 (which is very good for IMDB audience... they're tough on everything).
The worst one was the non-deleted Cinema Blend review that called the movie "not relatable"

StarWarsGirl

Compared to EPCOT Center's The Making of Me, or Walt Disney's The Story of Menstruation [yes, a real thing] this film is tame, lol.
This would also be a good one for schools to show in health classes with some talking points.

Instead of the one I watched in high school where two friends meet, one girl has her period and the other doesn't, and the other one is upset because she hasn't gotten hers yet, and then six months later she has hers and calls her friend and says she's "new and improved". 😂

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I like how so many reviewers say the Red Panda is a metaphor for menstruation when the film dealt with menstruation *explicitly*... nothing metaphorical about it. In fact, if they left out all the references to menstruation, then maybe one would be considered a stand-in for the other.

Remember, Mom, who thought that Mei got her first period, didn't even think to consider it would be related to the panda.

The connection is the pantheistic moon-magic which ties the two together... loosely.

You become an adult, you get your period.

You become an adult, you inherit ancestral red panda magic that can only be affected by a red moon.

Or is every werewolf movie a metaphor for menstruation? Was that a subtext for Moonstruck?

Magenta Panther

I remember a movie called Teen Wolf where it seemed to imply (it's been years since I saw it) that inherited werewolfism begins at puberty. Or something. Anyway, menstruation is even less appealing to me than Day of the Dead, so I'll be skipping this one. Besides...those character designs (shudder)...

ParkPeeker

Really good movie! Animation wise it feels artistically unique and different from other Pixar films. Like there seems to be anime influenced artistic direction in how characters emote and how the scenes generally look during some comedic snippets. Also that food cooking scene was greattt all the way down to the anime esque dad with shiny glasses, it was a nice touch lol.

Story wise I liked all the themes included of family culture and expectations, harmful ideas passed down the generations, familial vs friendship relationships, how this fits with shame and acceptance of who you are, puberty, making up with friends and family, dealing with changing relationships and the start of figuring out/deciding how you fit into the world as opposed to having things already decided for you.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I remember a movie called Teen Wolf where it seemed to imply (it's been years since I saw it) that inherited werewolfism begins at puberty. Or something. Anyway, menstruation is even less appealing to me than Day of the Dead, so I'll be skipping this one. Besides...those character designs (shudder)...
She doesn't even start her period; her mother just assumes she has and embarrasses her by bringing her pads at school. In reality, she's turning into the panda.

If menstruation is unappealing to you, imagine how those of us who menstruate feel about it...

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
She doesn't even start her period; her mother just assumes she has and embarrasses her by bringing her pads at school. In reality, she's turning into the panda.

If menstruation is unappealing to you, imagine how those of us who menstruate feel about it...
backing up homer simpson GIF

Magenta Panther

So I take it you don't consider it entertaining?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom