'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

co10064

Premium Member
I am genuinely curious... did anyone who watched this movie fell like it lived up to Pixar's greats like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc. etc.?

I felt like this movie was on Good Dinosaur or Cars 2 level for me.

StarWarsGirl

I am genuinely curious... did anyone who watched this movie fell like it lived up to Pixar's greats like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc. etc.?

I definitely liked it more than Good Dinosaur and Cars 2.

I'd say it's more comparable to Inside Out since the main characters are both young girls going through changes, but I liked Inside Out better.

That being said, I'm thinking that I, as a childless millennial, probably am not the target audience for this. I think just like Inside Out is my "I'm depressed" movie, this can be an uplifiting movie for middle school girls (or younger) and parents of that age. I think I also don't relate as much because I was more like Mei's friend Miriam than Mei, but I think a lot of girls see themselves as Mei.

I'm also in the group that hates Toy Story 4 and I'd rather watch this just because...I don't like TS4, but that's a personal preference.

celluloid

Somewhere in the Luca category. Certainly not even as strong as Onward's emotions. Pixar is now The high concept Pixar movies seem to be kind of gone and their last one of that caliber being Soul.

To be honest with a few exceptions of Wall E and Up, Pixar stopped being a strong post Joe Ranft's passing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Critics' and audience scores posted above. So, you already know the answer to that question.

doctornick

Definitely better than them. I would say low end of the Middle of the Pack for Pixar.

I thought Soul and Luca were both great, though not at the elite tier of past Pixar. The last truly outstanding Pixar film was Coco IMHO.

Sir_Cliff

Definitely better than them. I would say low end of the Middle of the Pack for Pixar.

I thought Soul and Luca were both great, though not at the elite tier of past Pixar. The last truly outstanding Pixar film was Coco IMHO.
I think Coco is my favourite Pixar film and before that it was Ratatouille. It is very subjective, though.

I feel a little like "in theory" Luca is toward the middle of the pack for Pixar films as it is perhaps a quieter, less high-concept film than some of the others. If I'm honest, though, I have probably re-watched Luca more than any Pixar film other than Coco and would choose to re-watch it again over any of the 'classics' from the earlier period. So, maybe I do rate it as among Pixar's best alongside Coco and Ratatouille?

Hard to say with Turning Red, but I suspect for a lot of people it will also be among the Pixar films with which they most strongly connect. I remember a few reviews around the time Coco came out describing it as middle tier Pixar. It's only been as it's become obvious how deeply so many people connected with it that people recognise it as up there with the Pixar classics.

It seems to me with Pixar that their early films have taken on a kind of legendary status that make it hard for people to imagine anything new joining that pantheon until it actually does due to audience response over time.

Animaniac93-98

It seems to me with Pixar that their early films have taken on a kind of legendary status that make it hard for people to imagine anything new joining that pantheon until it actually does due to audience response over time.

That's how it was with Disney proper for a long time. Nothing could touch the likes of Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi etc in the public consciousness until Beauty and the Beast and Lion King, and even then adult reviewers still felt the golden age was best. Millennials becoming adults, and disproportionally representing online discussion, is what made their childhood favorites the definitive Disney movies (also why Mulan, Hercules and even Hocus Pocus are all held in higher regard today).

Animaniac93-98

I don't think its any coincidence that Pixar's late-aughts highs (Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up) were all in development at a time when there was a real possibility the studio would go solo, and then shortly after Disney purchased the company we got stuff like Cars 2, Brave and Monsters University...

Turning Red may be mid-tier Pixar, but I'm glad we're getting more solo films instead of unnecessary sequels like Finding Dory and Cars 3.

BrianLo

That being said, I'm thinking that I, as a childless millennial, probably am not the target audience for this. I think just like Inside Out is my "I'm depressed" movie, this can be an uplifiting movie for middle school girls (or younger) and parents of that age. I think I also don't relate as much because I was more like Mei's friend Miriam than Mei, but I think a lot of girls see themselves as Mei.

That's an interesting take. It most assuredly is a movie made by and aimed at millennials. The characters are born in 1989/90. It's all childhood millennial references.

Despite being set in 2002, it actually skews very 1998/9 to me. Which better aligns to Tamagotchi and Backstreet Boys.

Are you an extremely young millennial?

Animaniac93-98

Despite being set in 2002, it actually skews very 1998/9 to me. Which better aligns to Tamagotchi and Backstreet Boys.

It takes years to make an animated movie, so perhaps when the movie was first pitched as being "20 years ago" that was the late 90s, but then they realized by the time it would be released that would be the early 2000s.

Late 90s/early 2000s pop culture also just blends together in my mind at this point so I wouldn't notice a difference as much now.

Sans Souci

I watched it and I really liked it. I might watch it again. I thought it touched on Jung's "shadow self." The father mentioned it when he told Meilin about having people having messy sides and learning how to integrate those messy sides. The shadow self is not evil or bad. It is comprised of aspects that we were told or we feel are negative. Anger isn't always detrimental emotion; it can be used to take action to change a situation. But when we feel like we have to suppress that emotion, it can turn into a destructive rage. Meilin integrated her shadow when she chose to live with her panda side, instead of banishing it into a totem.

ParkPeeker

I really liked Finding Dory, though, unnecessary as it might be.
😮 Both TS4 and Finding Dory are unnecessary, but I really liked TS4 while I find Finding Dory to be forgettable. So we’re almost opposite it opinion lol
I watched it and I really liked it. I might watch it again. I thought it touched on Jung's "shadow self." The father mentioned it when he told Meilin about having people having messy sides and learning how to integrate those messy sides. The shadow self is not evil or bad. It is comprised of aspects that we were told or we feel are negative. Anger isn't always detrimental emotion; it can be used to take action to change a situation. But when we feel like we have to suppress that emotion, it can turn into a destructive rage. Meilin integrated her shadow when she chose to live with her panda side, instead of banishing it into a totem.
Thanks for posting this! Wasn’t aware of this topic beforehand.

BrianLo

It takes years to make an animated movie, so perhaps when the movie was first pitched as being "20 years ago" that was the late 90s, but then they realized by the time it would be released that would be the early 2000s.

Late 90s/early 2000s pop culture also just blends together in my mind at this point so I wouldn't notice a difference as much now.

That makes sense. I realized Domee Shi and I are both born in 1987. That kind of furthers my argument that it’s slightly the wrong year, not that it really matters.

Maybe this is why I find it so relateable when lots of people seem to not to. Maybe it only lands with the skew of 86-90 birth years to be the exact right age for these trends.

I find my 84/85 friends for example never grew up on Harry Potter. High school made it unpopular whereas our parents and then scores of siblings followed suit.

Californian Elitist

Just finished this movie. I loved every second of it. It was very funny and so relatable, personally. Loved the message of the movie, too. I like that it touched on the dangers of too much pressure, perfectionism, keeping one’s feelings in, and trying to constantly please others. That was clearly the symbolism of the panda.

It reminded me of my fangirl years of being and N*SYNC and Backstreet Boys fan.

Sir_Cliff

That makes sense. I realized Domee Shi and I are both born in 1987. That kind of furthers my argument that it’s slightly the wrong year, not that it really matters.

Maybe this is why I find it so relateable when lots of people seem to not to. Maybe it only lands with the skew of 86-90 birth years to be the exact right age for these trends.

I find my 84/85 friends for example never grew up on Harry Potter. High school made it unpopular whereas our parents and then scores of siblings followed suit.
I was born in 81 and it landed with me as it reminded me of the pop culture during my late high school years. Everyone of my age didn't like the boy bands and Spice Girls of the time... but now I think we look back on them fondly!

StarWarsGirl

That's an interesting take. It most assuredly is a movie made by and aimed at millennials. The characters are born in 1989/90. It's all childhood millennial references.

Are you an extremely young millennial?
I am a much younger millennial; I was born in 1995. It was High School Musical for me, and my boy band was the Jonas Brothers (actually, still is, I just saw them in September. 🤣)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom