'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

dreday3

Gosh. I have to say this wasn't my favorite. But I do wish I could turn into a panda! :D
I would put it on the same level as Onward. I'm not mad I watched it, it was cute, but I won't watch again, at least on purpose.

But that's okay, we can't love everything! And I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad movie. It's just not at my top of list.

Ghost93

I really enjoyed this film. Going back to earlier comments about whether Pixar had lost its way in recent years, this is another example to me of how Pixar is finding its way again with smartly and sensitively written original films that are both specific but broadly relatable. Found the ending of this one quite touching.
I think from about 2011-2017 there was a period where it looked like Pixar was beginning to lose it's way with unnecessary and subpar sequels (Monsters Inc, Cars 2 and 3, Finding Dory) as well as some mediocre originals (such as Brave and the Good Dinosaur. Inside Out was the only great film from that five-year period.

But since then, Coco, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red have all been excellent and have proven that Pixar hasn't lost its touch. I'm very optimistic about the upcoming Lightyear movie.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Gosh. I have to say this wasn't my favorite. But I do wish I could turn into a panda! :D
I would put it on the same level as Onward. I'm not mad I watched it, it was cute, but I won't watch again, at least on purpose.

But that's okay, we can't love everything! And I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad movie. It's just not at my top of list.

My gf and I were talking about the relatability aspect of films like this yesterday, I loved Onward, it was very relatable to me as a guy with brothers, she didn’t connect to it, she related more to Turning Red, I never connected to it, probably because she has a mom that she always tried to please.

We then compared it to a film like Inside Out that somehow managed to really connect with both of us.

I enjoyed this film but it wasn’t my favorite, I never felt emotionally connected to the story.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Turning Red debuts at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes with 14 reviews.

Audience score 66%

Ghost93

Audience score 66%
Unfortunately, because this is not a theatrical release, there are no "verified" reviews for this. It's possible a lot of people genuinely disliked turning Red. However, I also know the film was somewhat politicized a few days before its release, so I wouldn't be shocked if some people rated it low without seeing it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Unfortunately, because this is not a theatrical release, there are no "verified" reviews for this. It's possible a lot of people genuinely disliked turning Red. However, I also know the film was somewhat politicized a few days before its release, so I wouldn't be shocked if some people rated it low without seeing it.
If you read the comments on social media, the film is getting RAKED because it’s more mature than what was expected based on the previews. A lot of parents were caught unawares with how inappropriate they felt it was for their kids. It seems to be extremely polarizing, but for a lot of parents with kids under twelve it seems problematic.

My daughter is newly 7 but we’re open with conversations about body changes and reproduction, so she just really enjoyed the movie , and is currently watching it again for the third time 🤷‍♀️

Sir_Cliff

If you read the comments on social media, the film is getting RAKED because it’s more mature than what was expected based on the previews. A lot of parents were caught unawares with how inappropriate they felt it was for their kids. It seems to be extremely polarizing, but for a lot of parents with kids under twelve it seems problematic.

My daughter is newly 7 but we’re open with conversations about body changes and reproduction, so she just really enjoyed the movie , and is currently watching it again for the third time 🤷‍♀️
After you posted the audience rating, I did look through the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes just to see why people mightn't have liked it. Must say I was really surprised how shaken some seemed by both the reference to periods and the crush that Mei develops on the guy in the convenience store. Both of those things seemed pretty innocent to me and could also be waved away pretty easily if you didn't want to discuss with your child what a period was. Not sure what the issue was with the girl having a crush as, well, romantic attraction is pretty standard in animated features.

I'm kind of hoping this still does well and there's room for a film that is perhaps not so broad with every edge smoothed to to appeal to everyone. I guess some might be uncomfortable with some of the topics covered and that's fine, but there's nothing offensive in the film.

One thing I did also notice that I won't mention here so as not to spoil anything is that some didn't like the message at the end of the film. That I found kind of interesting, as I have to admit that it also made me think a little as to how much it resonated with me.

waltography

Just finished watching it on Disney+ and it's a gem of a film. It treads a little differently than previous Pixar movies but has the same kind of heart and spirit and hits a little closer to home coming from a family of very involved parents. The animation really is outstanding—they're all very expressive, and the little touches that feel lifted out of a Ghibli film make for some gorgeous shots.

So Over It

but I am really disappointed it's another movie where a POC turns into an animal. :/
Disney / Pixar has to walk a very fine line with this.

On one hand, if you never have a POC as a lead, such as in Soul, Princess and the Frog, this, etc.... you appear racist and pandering only to white audiences.
On the other hand, if you keep the POC the entire film as their true selves, you would lose a lot of white audience $$$, causing the film to tank. If Princess and the Frog kept Tiana as Tiana for the entire film and not a frog, same with Soul, many white audiences would skip the film, children wouldn't buy toys, and profits would be lost. Same would happen if you had an Incredibles movie with Frozone as the main lead. It would not work with Disney's audiences. And I HATE it has to be this way. (Coco and Encanto are exceptions, but Disney white fan bases are more welcoming to Latino and Hispanic cultures than African American, and it is sad.)

I was one of the people pulling for a Rey - Finn relationship to happen in the Disney Star Wars trilogy. It was originally planned from the beginning, it was set-up perfectly in the first movie, it was planned to conclude in the final film as a love story.... but audience reaction had to be considered, and sadly, Finn was dropped to a side character and Disney bended knee to the vastly white audiences demanding a "Reylo" hookup, as it made them feel more comfortable.

Again, I'm just the messenger on how it works in the business. I hate it. Disney Pixar does too. But if you make your audiences uncomfortable, damaging losses occur.

Dear Prudence

I
Disney / Pixar has to walk a very fine line with this.

On one hand, if you never have a POC as a lead, such as in Soul, Princess and the Frog, this, etc.... you appear racist and pandering only to white audiences.
On the other hand, if you keep the POC the entire film as their true selves, you would lose a lot of white audience $$$, causing the film to tank. If Princess and the Frog kept Tiana as Tiana for the entire film and not a frog, same with Soul, many white audiences would skip the film, children wouldn't buy toys, and profits would be lost. Same would happen if you had an Incredibles movie with Frozone as the main lead. It would not work with Disney's audiences. And I HATE it has to be this way. (Coco and Encanto are exceptions, but Disney white fan bases are more welcoming to Latino and Hispanic cultures than African American, and it is sad.)

I was one of the people pulling for a Rey - Finn relationship to happen in the Disney Star Wars trilogy. It was originally planned from the beginning, it was set-up perfectly in the first movie, it was planned to conclude in the final film as a love story.... but audience reaction had to be considered, and sadly, Finn was dropped to a side character and Disney bended knee to the vastly white audiences demanding a "Reylo" hookup, as it made them feel more comfortable.

Again, I'm just the messenger on how it works in the business. I hate it. Disney Pixar does too. But if you make your audiences uncomfortable, damaging losses occur.
Just saw the movie today, and it blew me away by how good it was. I was crying I was laughing SO hard. The fact that Mei turns into a red panda isn't demeaning at all, and she absolutely delights in it. It's now probably in my top 10 animated films

Last edited:

dreday3

After you posted the audience rating, I did look through the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes just to see why people mightn't have liked it. Must say I was really surprised how shaken some seemed by both the reference to periods and the crush that Mei develops on the guy in the convenience store. Both of those things seemed pretty innocent to me and could also be waved away pretty easily if you didn't want to discuss with your child what a period was. Not sure what the issue was with the girl having a crush as, well, romantic attraction is pretty standard in animated features.

I'm kind of hoping this still does well and there's room for a film that is perhaps not so broad with every edge smoothed to to appeal to everyone. I guess some might be uncomfortable with some of the topics covered and that's fine, but there's nothing offensive in the film.

One thing I did also notice that I won't mention here so as not to spoil anything is that some didn't like the message at the end of the film. That I found kind of interesting, as I have to admit that it also made me think a little as to how much it resonated with me.

I was kind of shocked to read that people were uncomfortable with the topics this morning. The movie made getting your period and having a crush so disneyfied, everyone should want to get their period! :D

Honestly, her "changes" were so barely addressed outright...anyways, it's hard for me to imagine what was uncomfortable about it. The crush was so innocent. But we don't have kids, so I guess it's not for me to understand.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
This isn't a relatable film at all. It panders to the niche market of women, who are only 51% of the population!!

Our good friend, Jordan Fischer (Happily Ever After) is Robaire!

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Audience score 66%
That score represents the audience's 'thumbs up or thumbs down.' Their rating puts it at 70 (normalized for a 100 scale).

The critics' thumbs up is at 95% and their score is 80. (And Metacritic's critics' score is 83). Which is very good.

1647187870024.png

RT's audience score is based on somewhere over a thousand 'reviews.'

Over on IMDB, which has 15,000 audience reviews, it is at 72 (which is very good for IMDB audience... they're tough on everything).

Sir_Cliff

I was kind of shocked to read that people were uncomfortable with the topics this morning. The movie made getting your period and having a crush so disneyfied, everyone should want to get their period! :D

Honestly, her "changes" were so barely addressed outright...anyways, it's hard for me to imagine what was uncomfortable about it. The crush was so innocent. But we don't have kids, so I guess it's not for me to understand.
I can't help but think it's related to people still being more squeamish around issues related to women's bodies and sexuality. There are still plenty of people who struggle to deal with acknowledging the existence of tampons or pads, so maybe that was the shock value for some? If that's it, I guess the film is doing something positive!

Also don't have kids and my parents weren't very sensitive about what we watched when I was little, which included taking me to the cinema to watch Aliens when I was 5 or 6, so maybe I don't relate with what others find appropriate to watch with little kids. I turned out alright... 😬

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

It's not the way the movie addressed the subjects, it's that the subjects were brought up at all. Again, I have no problem with it because we're open in my house. But the criticism is that in the first five minutes of the movie you have a bunch of little kids now asking big questions about life and human reproduction that parents weren't ready to discuss with them yet. That's how I understand the criticism, anyway.

And in a foundational way, I do understand it being frustrating to have a Disney movie force you to have "the talk" with your young kid when you thought it was about a girl who couldn't control her anger, lol. But I think the movie is maybe also doing those parents a huge favor by opening up those uncomfortable conversations in such a lighthearted way.

dreday3

I guess I just don't see a young girl having a crush, hormones and possibly starting her period as uncomfortable discussions.
And if a child is too young to know what it all is, then it probably went over their head anyways. The only mention of her period was the mom coming out with all the boxes of pads, which was a funny scene for the adults in the room.

I mean, it's not like there was some kind of sex scene! Now that was embarrassing to watch with parents.... I shudder.

But hey, everyone reacts differently to things. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom