'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand the business strategy of dumping all these movies on Disney+. They surely aren't making back their money in subscription sales alone.

It seems Disney is desperate for content ASAP and can't make it fast enough, so it's hurting other business units.

Mostly, only the big tentpoles have been profitable in their theatrical window, and even then, they sometimes aren't (Eternals) or just break even. And these are titles that would have made big profit pre-pandemic. And the non-tentpole movies are getting hammered in theaters falling far short of breaking even.

And, yes, D+ is desperate for content. It's currently the big criticism of the service, namely, that it doesn't get enough new content.

Encanto had a pretty mediocre box office which maybe drove this decision. Still it seems odd that Pixar movies are treated so differently than DFA ones during the pandemic.

yeah, it seems like an attempt to prop up Disney+ but at the expense of any box office revenue. Still, feels like even a shorter theatrical window like Encanto would be something and yet still help the content on D+

I think Encanto would have done better if it had a longer theatrical run. Right now, its music is blowing up the streaming-music charts.

D+ and Star just debuted in Latin America, and so, I would guess that the decision to move Encanto quickly to D+ was mostly for that market.

And so, in view of most movies not able to generate huge profit during a pandemic, unless you rhyme with Schmider-Can, it makes business sense to shore up the in-home streamers... a basket that Disney plans to put all the eggs given the current state of cord cutting and poor theatrical profit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm wondering if there's a plan to merge Pixar into the main Disney animation studio and retain Pixar only as a brand and nothing more. That's the only reason they might be doing this.

It's becoming clear that brands are now a bigger priority than talent.
Not a chance. The multiplicity of studios is embraced by Disney as a way to churn out more content. Disney just created a new animation studio to fill the gaping yaw of online content.

tcool123

Do they get paid less if it goes straight to Disney+?
Its not always about pay it’s more about the message this sends to those that worked on the film. It probably sucks that this is their third film in a row to go straight to streaming where as there sister animation has maintained theatrical releases. In essence it puts them on the same pedestal as animated films such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Ice Age: Buck Wild as they are all straight to streaming.

I feel bad for those that worked on the film as it was created with the theater in mind and big scale efforts were put into this, but now it’s been relegated to a mere streaming original.

mf1972

My reaction was not "it's horrible", but was more like "How come Pixar is copying Steven Universe's bean-shaped mouths? Or maybe they're The Amazing World of Gumball's bean-shaped mouths", etc. The movie just does not look like Pixar made it. It looks like Nickelodeon or Dreamworks made it. Did someone at Pixar think they needed to copy TV cartoon tropes to appeal to the general public? Pixar used to set trends, not follow them (but then that's what Disney used to do, isn't it?). And the story looks kind of juvenile, but maybe it's better than the trailer looks. Whatever. I don't have Disney+, so won't be seeing it in any case.

MAJOR DIGRESSION: My sister has Apple+, and the other day we watched the new animated Peanuts special "For Auld Lang Syne". It's like the first Peanuts special in a decade. And my gosh, it was wonderful. The cartoon looks like Charles Schulz himself animated it - down to the brush-stroke outlines of the characters. It's in full 2D and looks like it was hand-drawn animation - although it probably wasn't, but it sure does fool the eye into thinking it was. Beautiful movement, lighting and shading. And the writers updated the characters, Lucy especially, and it worked. Imagine that! Somebody behind Charlie Brown and company refused to play it safe and just recycle the same old tired character routines. Instead, they added personality and pathos. As a result, the special is MUCH better than 98% of the old Peanuts specials, which were kinda crappy, to be honest. Altogether, "Auld Lang Syne" is, artistically speaking, as successful as the new Mickey Mouse shorts. It's great to see people take risks like that and see it pay off. It warms my cynical little heart...
to me the animation for this (and luca) reminded me of the animation u would see with wallace & gromit, chicken run, flushed away, etc. i think it’s aardman animation studios from the UK. i’ll admit the trailer for this isn’t grabbing me & i’m not in a big rush to watch it when it pops up on D+. just my opinion, but after toy story 4, the last few pixar movies are a bit mediocre.

Robbiem

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Disney stopped caring about Pixar when Lasseter got exposed.
Pixar has definitely declined since the Lasseter / Jobs years. It looks like it’s becoming the Disney plus studio where a few years ago it would have been the premiere animation studio. I would have thought keeping blue sky for disney plus projects and keeping pixar as a prestige brand would have been a better way forward - its like using a rolls Royce factory to make mid range hatchbacks

Slpy3270

Pixar has definitely declined since the Lasseter / Jobs years. It looks like it’s becoming the Disney plus studio where a few years ago it would have been the premiere animation studio. I would have thought keeping blue sky for disney plus projects and keeping pixar as a prestige brand would have been a better way forward - its like using a rolls Royce factory to make mid range hatchbacks
IMO my guess is Disney will take the New Line Cinema route and fold Pixar into Disney Animation, leaving only the brand, library and parts of its staff intact.

I think that may have been the long-term plan after Lasseter was forced out. In many ways he was the only person at Pixar Disney corporate cared about, most importantly because he balanced art with marketability, the latter of which is always top priority at corporate. It's why Cars 2 and 3 were shoved out the door quickly whereas it took over a decade for Finding Dory and Incredibles 2 to get off the ground, while it's unlikely we'll ever see a sequel to A Bug's Life, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur and the like, since there's almost nothing marketable about them.

erasure fan1

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Disney stopped caring about Pixar when Lasseter got exposed.
Yea, Disney was in a bad spot with Lasseter. They couldn't keep him. But at the same time, there wasn't any real chance Pixar would be the same after. Lasseter was the engine that made Pixar go. I haven't disliked anything since he's gone, but at the same time I haven't loved anything either. Its all just been textbook mediocrity.

Slpy3270

Yea, Disney was in a bad spot with Lasseter. They couldn't keep him. But at the same time, there wasn't any real chance Pixar would be the same after. Lasseter was the engine that made Pixar go. I haven't disliked anything since he's gone, but at the same time I haven't loved anything either. Its all just been textbook mediocrity.
People seem to forget that with all the awards, accolades and box office gross Pixar has gotten, the workplace culture there has always been awful. It's much more fun to work at a looser place like DreamWorks (which, unlike Disney Animation and Pixar, has a unionized workforce, which helps morale; even though Katz was a crappy businessman he still had a degree of care to employees that Lasseter and Catmull just didn't have).

doctornick

Maybe it’s just me but I think Soul and Luca were both great and in line with Pixar’s quality. No not the best offerings even but at least of “typical” Pixar level. I liked them both better than the DFA offerings of Raya and Encanto (both of which were good but I thought a step down relatively).

Admittedly Onward was subpar, reminding me more of a Blue Sky level production. but it was still better than Pixar’s worse.

Slpy3270

Maybe it’s just me but I think Soul and Luca were both great and in line with Pixar’s quality.
That's not what Disney corporate cares about. They want it to sell merchandise. If they don't think it won't sell like Toy Story and Cars, then they consider it a failure.

erasure fan1

Maybe it’s just me but I think Soul and Luca were both great and in line with Pixar’s quality. No not the best offerings even but at least of “typical” Pixar level. I liked them both better than the DFA offerings of Raya and Encanto (both of which were good but I thought a step down relatively).
I liked Luca better than Soul but neither left me wanting to watch them again. Onward was average to me as well. And to be fair, Raya was very so so and Encanto made me fall asleep the first time. Lol. Disney feature animation hs also suffered since Lasseters exit.

doctornick

I liked Luca better than Soul but neither left me wanting to watch them again. Onward was average to me as well. And to be fair, Raya was very so so and Encanto made me fall asleep the first time. Lol. Disney feature animation hs also suffered since Lasseters exit.
I guess I would phrase it for me that I still have solid expectations that I will enjoy any Pixar film, while I’m more skeptical of DFA (let alone any other animation studio).

I don’t really see a dramatic change in quality since Lassiter. Pixar has been kinda hit or miss for the over a decade (since about Up or Toy Story 3 timeframe) though still generally the best animation studio.

DKampy

I am surprised about the thoughts here—-sure Luca was not great but even the past had Cars and The Good Dinosaur…however Soul was very profound to me…that movie affected me deeply…IMO Soul is among Pixar’s best

Robbiem

For me the difference is that Pixar is, or was, more like an Indy studio making more offbeat movies like Up or Wall E whereas Disney is more big studio based content like princess movies in various forms. I generally tend to prefer pixar movies as they tend to appeal to broader ages rather than disney which tends to more kid centric fare

Over time the lines have blurred with the drive for sequels etc but pixar does still try to be more like ghibli than Disney with a lot of its content and I hope the difference continues

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO my guess is Disney will take the New Line Cinema route and fold Pixar into Disney Animation, leaving only the brand, library and parts of its staff intact.
Ah, Just like the Henson/Muppet side of the company..Buy it, some how theb Imagineering side deals with it, And leaves it in the dark..

Last edited:

Mmoore29

There was no "exposure" there. Lasseter is a good man that was shivved due to societal gaslighting that takes incidents and removes the context from them.

You know the Maya Angelou saying, "When someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them?"

Lasseter showed us who he really is starting back in 1995. A kind, generous, happy-go-lucky and creative man who is truly a child at heart, wouldn't hurt a fly, is overly excited about things, needs a chance to be reined in terms of boundaries, but above all just wants to share love with everyone. I believe him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom