TTA Refurbishment on schedule?

Slowjack

Do either of you lovelies happen to have concept art... or really, I'd accept any concept art of this design? Because it sounds fantastic.
Thought I'd pass this along...I found another picture over at another site that shows this early stage as model. You can even see little Peoplemover trains going between the buildings. This is same location Martin showed, just south of the TTC. I've always been unsure where the monorail is going, and obviously this model doesn't help. Clearly the monorail doesn't stop here--guests would have walked down from the TTC.

worldshowcase_ap1975disney.jpg

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

The current Tomorrowland is nothing like the 1994 version the TTA Metro alluded to either.

New Tomorrowland began to collapse when Timekeeper was removed.

This is also true, but each new attraction that has opened since has included elements to explain (however loosely sometimes) why it belongs within the overall story of Tomorrowland.

The removal of the Blue Line narration seems to do nothing but unravel the strings of the placemaking by taking away significant parts of the story. Are we in a spaceport, or are we in the middle of a theme park? It removes you from the story by implying the latter and destroys the experientialism that WDI wove into TL94.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

As an aside, this is the story we were trained on when I first worked TL Ops back in 2007. Much of this was specifically set up via dialogue from the old narration, if this helps people understand how everything tied together and why the old narration was so important to the overall theme.
This is a pretty long post, but it is worth reading.

Tomorrowland is a space community where aliens, robots, humans, and other intergalactic beings coexist peacefully. It is governed by The League of Planets and is a very bustling city.

Stitch's Great Escape! - A portion of The Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention certer is currently being used by the Galactic Federation (a police force dedicated to preserving peace and harmony throughout the galaxy by "protecting the nice from the naughty") as a prisoner teleport center. They took over the facilities from a now defunct corporation called XS-Tech after a nasty incident happened in one of the teleportation chambers. The facility is currently used to bring in prisoners ranging from Level one (common misdemeanors) through level four (extreme high security crimes), where they are held until a cell has been assigned to them, at which point they are teleported outside of Tomorrowland into the Galactic Federation Prison Facilities.

Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor - The Tomorrowland Science Center, across the Avenue Of The Planets from the convention center, is currently housing an open house by a visiting company known as Monsters Incorporated. This outside company has found a way to create extremely efficient energy by harnessing human laughter and has come to Tomorrowland to demonstrate this discovery. By working with technology created by XS-tech in the mid-90's, they transport visitors to their factory in the city of Monstropolis by bringing them through a "teleportation door." Here, humans are treated to a comedy show by some of the factory's top comedians and shown how their laughter can power an entire city.

Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - This is Tomorrowland's super highway, for those residents who choose to drive motorized vehicles. Most vehicles in Tomorrowland are driven purely for novelty purposes, as the main mode of transportation in the city is the Metroliner. Traffic is always clear here.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority - This is the main mode of travel for the city of Tomorrowland, the Metroliner. The Metroliner features three lines- blue, green, and red. The Blue Line through the downtown area is the most popular and is the only line that humans are allowed to use. They generally board it at the main station at Rockettower Plaza. It makes stops all throughout the city, including Perfect Park Acres (the latest in Hoverburb community) and The Interstellar Hair Salon. The red and green lines are reserved for visiting robots and alien citizens, respectively.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin- This is the current headquarters of Star Command, an elite group dedicated to protecting the galaxy. Guests enter as part of a recruiting drive, but soon discover that their help is needed to defeat the Evil Emperor Zurg.

The Carousel of Progress - This is a presentation of an Earth artifact that was acquired by The Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society and is now being restored and opened for viewing by the curious general public. It presents the progression of human technology.

Space Mountain - This is another transporation service offered by The Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Citizens needing to travel to far off places may arrange for their personal rocketships to be waiting here for them to board for their trip at the exact moment they are needed.

Astro Orbiter - Also known as The Personal Rocketship Docking Lot. This is where incoming visitors to Tomorrowland are allowed to park their personal rocketships. An intergalactic parking garage, if you will.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Thought I'd pass this along...I found another picture over at another site that shows this early stage as model. You can even see little Peoplemover trains going between the buildings. This is same site Martin showed, just south of the TTC. I've always been unsure where the monorail is going, and obviously this model doesn't help. Clearly the monorail doesn't stop here--guests would have walked down from the TTC.

While I'm glad we wound up with the version of WS that we did, I always love seeing information on the original plans. Things would have been so different.

Mousemom67

It also says the phrase "out of this world" two or three times, incorrectly states that CoP is four families, and is overall just generic sounding and dumbed down.

I would love it if they brought back the "NOW APPROACHING" announcements and chime.

Well if 90% of my dreams came true, I would die happy.

Thank you for pointing out the CoP "four families" comment made in the new narration. I wondered how many people noticed it. :confused:

Slowjack

Stitch's Great Escape! - A portion of The Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention certer is currently being used by the Galactic Federation (a police force dedicated to preserving peace and harmony throughout the galaxy by "protecting the nice from the naughty") as a prisoner teleport center. They took over the facilities from a now defunct corporation called XS-Tech after a nasty incident happened in one of the teleportation chambers. The facility is currently used to bring in prisoners ranging from Level one (common misdemeanors) through level four (extreme high security crimes), where they are held until a cell has been assigned to them, at which point they are teleported outside of Tomorrowland into the Galactic Federation Prison Facilities.
Thanks for sharing those back stories--neat to hear.

I thought Alien Encounter worked so much better than Stitch in the overall theme, although I can agree with others that AE may be too intense/dark for MK. The Alien Encounter story fit perfectly with the new Tomorrowland concept. The preshow was a pitch-perfect satire of "industrials" and the idea that we were going to see a tech demo in the convention center made sense. Now the idea is that a convention center is rented out as a high-security jail, which is weird enough, but then supposedly they are pulling people off the street to serve as guards? Honestly I think it would have been better to keep the main AE conceit and have Stitch as the alien that is accidentally transported, while lightening the tone as needed.

Last edited:

Slowjack

While I'm glad we wound up with the version of WS that we did, I always love seeing information on the original plans. Things would have been so different.
The coolest part of the Epcot Center development story, for me, is knowing that early on they were trying to choose between two separate park ideas -- what we now know as World Showcase and Future World -- but that at some point, someone (supposedly Marty Sklar) said, "What if we build 'em both?" What a gamble they were taking--not simply to build this goofy permanent World's Fair type of park, when World's Fairs usually lost money, but then to decide to build it twice as large. We Disney fans are often quick to suggest that Walt would have been disappointed to see his city of the future become just another theme park, but as a man who gambled the fate of his company on his hunches more than once, I like to think he would have been pleased by the chutzpah.

Goofyernmost

Thank you for pointing out the CoP "four families" comment made in the new narration. I wondered how many people noticed it. :confused:
I agree that it is the same family, but, with some different characters. It starts out at just before the turn of the century and ends at the end. That would be some very old people by the 1990's. The grandfather in the final scene my have been the great grandson of the man in the first scene. Same general family, different generations represented. To me each scene represent the newest generation at the time. Somewhat connect by genetics, still could be looked at as "new" families occupied to some degree by previous generations of the same family.

I guess when we view that we must always be aware of willing suspension of disbelief.

fngoofy

Thought I'd pass this along...I found another picture over at another site that shows this early stage as model. You can even see little Peoplemover trains going between the buildings. This is same location Martin showed, just south of the TTC. I've always been unsure where the monorail is going, and obviously this model doesn't help. Clearly the monorail doesn't stop here--guests would have walked down from the TTC.

If you watch Martin's Communicore video, he points out where you can still see the location of where the elevated cars would travel. I really thought it was neat to see. The more you know ;-)

Goofyernmost

Wouldn't that have been what the people movers would have been used for?

zarpman

That monorail line would have gone to EPCOT, the planned community. Remember that this model shows World Showcase as it existed as a separate gate south of the Magic Kingdom before the idea of it becoming a part of EPCOT Center, the theme park.

Mousemom67

I agree that it is the same family, but, with some different characters. It starts out at just before the turn of the century and ends at the end. That would be some very old people by the 1990's. The grandfather in the final scene my have been the great grandson of the man in the first scene. Same general family, different generations represented. To me each scene represent the newest generation at the time. Somewhat connect by genetics, still could be looked at as "new" families occupied to some degree by previous generations of the same family.

I guess when we view that we must always be aware of willing suspension of disbelief.

I've never viewed it as the same family living through all of those decades as if they never age! I see it as the same family as they would have lived in each different decade. They show how their lives would be different due to the advances in technology, etc. during each period.

In other words, it isn't like one big stage with one play where we watch the characters move through different scenes. Each of the 4 stages has it's own unique play representing each decade but using the same family (with additional characters here and there) so we can see how different their lives would be.

While there are a few things in the CoP that I'm uncertain about, I do know that the current audio on the TTA is incorrect in saying there are 4 families! :confused:

Slowjack

That monorail line would have gone to EPCOT, the planned community. Remember that this model shows World Showcase as it existed as a separate gate south of the Magic Kingdom before the idea of it becoming a part of EPCOT Center, the theme park.
That's what I've always been told, but it doesn't feel right to me. I guess I mean, I think that's what the line would have officially been for, but I don't know that by the time they got to this stage on World Showcase that the original Eocot idea was still really in play.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom