True or False?

wdwfan4eva

A close friend of my family is going to WDW next week...
He was informed by an acquaintance of his that if you go to MK City Hall, or any guest relations, and tell them you have a hard time standing for a long period of time, they'll give you a pass to get to the head of the ride lines.

Is this true?

He does have bad knees and a bad back which makes it hard for him to stand for more than 10 minutes. Supposedly this 'pass' is for those who don't need a wheel chair or scooter. If anyone can shed some like on this, so I can pass the info along, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

Cynderella

While I dont know the answer, my suggestion would be that he gets a wheelchair or scooter anyways if he cant stand for more than 10 mins. You will do a ton of walking and definetly standing in line for more than 10 mins sometimes.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

A close friend of my family is going to WDW next week...
He was informed by an acquaintance of his that if you go to MK City Hall, or any guest relations, and tell them you have a hard time standing for a long period of time, they'll give you a pass to get to the head of the ride lines.

Is this true?

He does have bad knees and a bad back which makes it hard for him to stand for more than 10 minutes. Supposedly this 'pass' is for those who don't need a wheel chair or scooter. If anyone can shed some like on this, so I can pass the info along, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D
I hate to just come out and say "True" because some people may take this as taking advantage of "the system," though my mother did did do this last May and needed it!

She had double knee replacements the November before our trip. By May, she was able to walk a good amount, but was very uncomfortable just standing in one place. The weight put onto her knees without allowing them to move was just too much for her. So she went to guest relations and told them her situation, not knowing what, if anything, could be done to assist her since she did not want a wheelchair. They gave her a guest assistance pass or something like that. She was then told to use the handicap entrance for the rides, which she did. It really helped her! It allowed her and our party (we, for the most part, had no more than 4 people when riding rides) to take that other entrance.

It definitely decreased the standing time in almost all ride queues. The only one in which she did end up having to wait more than 10 minutes without being able to sit was on BTMRR. But other than that, the pass was very helpful.

Upvote 0

elcodfish

yes and no

If he really has issues it couldn't hurt to get a note from his doctor to carry with him. This could help him even when boarding his flight. Also, if his condition makes it hard to be on his feet for more than 10 minutes, I strongly suggest a scooter. He can even rent one from an outside company that can be delivered to his resort so he never has to be without it.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I just want to put this out there...

in my mother's case, being in a wheelchair in the parks the entire time would not have been best for her, and it may be the same for other people. She needed to be able to move around and "exercice" her knees throughout the day, according to her orthopedic physician and PT. It was just the standing in one spot that she shouldn't do.

A few days, she did end up needing a wheelchair by the end of the day in the park. But to have one the entire day would not have been best. :eek:

Upvote 0

Cynderella

I now foresee a long line of people abusibg this perk

That's unfortunatly why I was kind of hoping it wasn't true. I do understand how some people need it....but there are also a ton of people who do not. Kind of like the people who get the wheelchairs and scooters who dont really need them. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

wdwfan4eva

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. :) He is definitely like K.Hunter's mom, as that he's fine walking and moving about but just can't stand still for too long. I'll be sure to pass this along with an air of caution for abuse.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Thank you for the information. :) He is definitely like K.Hunter's mom, as that he's fine walking and moving about but just can't stand still for too long. I'll be sure to pass this along with an air of caution for abuse.

The sad thing is, for people who need it but don't LOOK like they need it, sometimes you start to feel you should have a fake cast so people stop giving you the stink eye.

Upvote 0

dcessna

Handicaps

The only thing I know about this go to Guest Relations. They will give you a Guest Assistance pass that allows you to enter thge handicap entrance and there you will wait for the remainder of your party to reach the head of the line and you will be able to join them.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

If my mom ever went back to WDW she would need to avoid long periods of standing. Well, she would need to avoid long periods of anything: sitting, walking, standing, etc. My mom has chronic back and neck issues, horrible arthritis, and problems with cysts in the bones in her feet. If she sits, walks, stands, or even lays down for too long she will get the same horrifically painful result. We've talked about it and she says that IF she were to try to go back someday she would want a wheelchair that she can sit in when needed or get up and walk behind to switch things up. Perhaps this could be an option for your friend. I also agree that proper medical documentation would be a good idea just in case there are any questions. I know the assistance cards are also available for autistic guests who are unable to handle the long lines.

There will always be those jerks who misuse the systems put into place to assist those who genuinely need it. I try to remember that these people are creating their own karma when they do this sort of thing. At some point that which they deserve will be delivered to them. That's the way life works. It may not be immediate but it will come. Trust me. ;)

Upvote 0

Rob562

Anyone who has a mobility problem of any kind should visit Guest Relations and talk with them about it. Explain what your issues are, and they'll give you a card stating that. Then, at each attraction, you present your card at the entrance and the CM will tell you the process for their particular attraction. Sometimes it's a front-of-the-line pass, sometimes they'll have you get a FastPass, sometimes they'll give you a FastPass like ticket that's equal to the current standby wait time and have you come back then. It all depends on each individual attraction.

My sister, for example, has problems with her knees. She's fine standing and walking, but has a very difficult time with stairs. So the next time she visits WDW, she'll most likely get a GAC that says she can't do stairs, and those attractions where stairs are a part of the queue they'll reroute her around that part of the queue. Splash Mountain's queue comes to mind, along with the loading area of Dinosaur. I think it's the Standby queue of Space Mountain that has the stairs in the first room, but they might just have her use the ramp to bypass the stairs and then use the gate at the bottom to switch over to the standby queue.

-Rob

Upvote 0

mynonnie

Need letter from doctor

They are now asking for letter from doctor in order to get the pass. Also, we were on a couple of rides that mil was allowed to go through the handicapped entrance but not her group. They had seating where she waited for us. This was last Thursday, 4-17-08.

Upvote 0

smk

Two years ago in December we went with family and friends, one of our party had recently had surgery (major) on a private area and was having a hard time standing in long lines. He went to guest relations and did in fact get a pass to go in the exit and wait there for the rides. He was in a wheelchair by the end of the week we were there so he had someone pushing him around, if someone went in with him they waited with him and rode with him. Depending on the ride and the wait times etc...sometimes they could ride right away and sometimes they had to wait. Either way it was a nice gesture for a good person who needed a break while on vaction. He did not look disabled nor did he have a doctors excuse, he a problem and Disney did what it could to help him. We all appreciated it very much. I really hope this policy does not change. Many people go with the intention of being fine and as the trip goes on they need more help. If you didn't know in advance you needed assistance or an excuse it would be hard to prove you need extra help.

Upvote 0

catne

From what I've been told, unless the person has a doctor's letter, it will be a judgement call from the CM at Guest Relations as to whether or not you get a Guest Assistance pass. I have heard of people getting these passes for many reasons, including ones that are not obvious at all. In the case of the person with obvious surgical scars on the knees, that would be an easy decision to make, I'd think. For not-so-obvious issues, I would suggest taking a doctor's letter just in case (especially if the policy is abused, then they will require a letter every time...better to be prepared, I think.)

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To clarify...

The Guest Assistance Card is a tool provided at all four Theme Parks to enhance the service we provide to our Guests with disabilities. It was designed to alert our Cast about those Guests who may need additional assistance. The intent of these cards is to keep Guests from having to explain their service needs each time they visit an attraction.

The Guest Assistance Card is available to our Guests with non-apparent, special assistance needs (i.e., autism, heart condition, etc.). Depending on a Guest's need, this card may provide a variety of assistance such as allowing Guests to wait in a shaded area, or providing admission to our attractions through auxiliary entrances, where applicable. However, the intention of this card has never been to bypass attraction wait times, or to be used by Guests with a noticeable service need.

Guests with an apparent mobility concern, such as Guests using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or Guests with service animals, do not need a Guest Assistance Card. These Guests should be directed to follow the attraction entrance procedures for guests using wheelchairs, as outlined in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

A Guest with a specific need for assistance can request a Guest Assistance Card at any Theme Park Guest Relations location. The Guest Relations Cast Member will discuss the available service options with the Guest and provide written instructions for our cast on the Guest Assistance Card. The Guest will be directed to present the Guest Assistance Card to the Greeter or first available Cast Member at the attraction and await further directions for their experience.

Upvote 0

PotteryGal

The Guest Assistance Card is a tool provided at all four Theme Parks to enhance the service we provide to our Guests with disabilities. It was designed to alert our Cast about those Guests who may need additional assistance. The intent of these cards is to keep Guests from having to explain their service needs each time they visit an attraction.

The Guest Assistance Card is available to our Guests with non-apparent, special assistance needs (i.e., autism, heart condition, etc.). Depending on a Guest's need, this card may provide a variety of assistance such as allowing Guests to wait in a shaded area, or providing admission to our attractions through auxiliary entrances, where applicable. However, the intention of this card has never been to bypass attraction wait times, or to be used by Guests with a noticeable service need.

Guests with an apparent mobility concern, such as Guests using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or Guests with service animals, do not need a Guest Assistance Card. These Guests should be directed to follow the attraction entrance procedures for guests using wheelchairs, as outlined in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

A Guest with a specific need for assistance can request a Guest Assistance Card at any Theme Park Guest Relations location. The Guest Relations Cast Member will discuss the available service options with the Guest and provide written instructions for our cast on the Guest Assistance Card. The Guest will be directed to present the Guest Assistance Card to the Greeter or first available Cast Member at the attraction and await further directions for their experience.

JP, is a doctor's note required for autistic individuals? I was told because of privacy laws, CMs wouldn't benefit from us providing one. I have no problem getting this for my son, just wasn't sure. :shrug: We had the GAC last time as a precaution, but he fortunately did really well with the lines. I'm a little more concerned about it this summer, as before we went off-season and crowds weren't as bad.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom