True or False?

wdwfan4eva

A close friend of my family is going to WDW next week...
He was informed by an acquaintance of his that if you go to MK City Hall, or any guest relations, and tell them you have a hard time standing for a long period of time, they'll give you a pass to get to the head of the ride lines.

Is this true?

He does have bad knees and a bad back which makes it hard for him to stand for more than 10 minutes. Supposedly this 'pass' is for those who don't need a wheel chair or scooter. If anyone can shed some like on this, so I can pass the info along, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

Carolyn1717

A close friend of my family is going to WDW next week...
He was informed by an acquaintance of his that if you go to MK City Hall, or any guest relations, and tell them you have a hard time standing for a long period of time, they'll give you a pass to get to the head of the ride lines.

Is this true?

He does have bad knees and a bad back which makes it hard for him to stand for more than 10 minutes. Supposedly this 'pass' is for those who don't need a wheel chair or scooter. If anyone can shed some like on this, so I can pass the info along, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

That used to be the way it worked a few years back. They have since changed it due to the fact that when people got wise to this they would be renting wheel chairs and heading for the front of the line.

The way it works now, is the person in the wheel chair is taken to an area undercover and out of the heat by the front of the line. The rest of the party gets on line with everyone else. When his party reaches the front of the line, he joins them and boards the ride.

This way it is fair to everyone.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

JP, is a doctor's note required for autistic individuals? I was told because of privacy laws, CMs wouldn't benefit from us providing one. I have no problem getting this for my son, just wasn't sure. :shrug: We had the GAC last time as a precaution, but he fortunately did really well with the lines. I'm a little more concerned about it this summer, as before we went off-season and crowds weren't as bad.

Doctor/medical notes are not required for the Guest Assistance Card.

Upvote 0

lac628

That used to be the way it worked a few years back. They have since changed it due to the fact that when people got wise to this they would be renting wheel chairs and heading for the front of the line.

The way it works now, is the person in the wheel chair is taken to an area undercover and out of the heat by the front of the line. The rest of the party gets on line with everyone else. When his party reaches the front of the line, he joins them and boards the ride.

This way it is fair to everyone.

Not true! We go to Disney quite often (last time was Oct.) with a friend that has a motorized wheelchair. (He has a locked knee that he can't bend, so walking too long can be really painful) Anyway, depending on the ride, we go in through the handicapped entrance and bypass most of the line. Some rides like POTC, don't offer that, so we wait with the rest of the line.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

This is true - and I don't believe many people abuse it. It's terrible karma to abuse something like that, and most people I know couldn't do it in good conscience.

I think if your mom has a hard time standing for long periods of time, you guys have the right to go get the pass. When I was younger, my father had an illness that prevented him from being in sunlight for long periods of time. For lines that were mostly outside, we were able to go in the handicapped line, but for inside lines we didn't use our pass. Many people looked at us rudely, because we looked perfectly fine. With no wheelchair, you might get some looks, but who cares. You have to do what you have to do.

Just tell them at City Hall & they will help you out. :)

Upvote 0

rainfully

They are now asking for letter from doctor in order to get the pass. Also, we were on a couple of rides that mil was allowed to go through the handicapped entrance but not her group. They had seating where she waited for us. This was last Thursday, 4-17-08.

Yes, Disney requires a specific and beit, legible doctors note explaining the patients disability.

This is not true, and in fact Guest Relations CM's won't even read any doctor's notes presented to them.

Upvote 0

conntom

get him a ECV and the CM will tell him were the handicapped entrance is to get on the rides you see I have bad knees and a bad backto.You don't go to the front of the line but it is a shorter wait.Its not on all the ride some you have to walk toand some you can take the ECV right in.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I was wondering about that what with the HIPAA regulations.
I could very well be wrong, but I don't think a guest voluntarily showing Disney a letter from their physician stating they need physical assistance for mobility reasons would be against HIPAA. If Disney tried to contact their physician for that information or if Disney required information that stated exactly WHY they need assistance (i.e. the guest's diagnosis), that might be against HIPAA. Like I said though, I could be wrong. :shrug:

Upvote 0

rainfully

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think a guest voluntarily showing Disney a letter from their physician stating they need physical assistance for mobility reasons would be against HIPAA. If Disney tried to contact their physician for that information or if Disney required information that stated exactly WHY they need assistance (i.e. the guest's diagnosis), that might be against HIPAA. Like I said though, I could be wrong. :shrug:

I'm sure that has to do why they won't even read them... they don't want to give even the impression that they are required... Say for example Man A was issued a GAC card and he had a note and Man B wasn't and didn't have a note... and they had the same issue... That sounds like a whole can of worms that Disney wouldn't want to deal with!!

Upvote 0

janni518

I believe a previous post claimed that details were needed. That was what I was referring to.

Edit note: Was referring to this post: Originally Posted by Disneykidder
Yes, Disney requires a specific and beit, legible doctors note explaining the patients disability.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I believe a previous post claimed that details were needed. That was what I was referring to.

Edit note: Was referring to this post: Originally Posted by Disneykidder
Ahhh... Thanks, I must have read over that one. Good point. :)

Upvote 0

Joy Peace

Wow! it really pays to stay connected to you all.:) I did not know about the GAC. I was really worried about my upcoming vacation because I have a bad ankle and both knees are shot. I am ok to walk at first but after a while it gets hard and very painful. I didnt want my physical issues ruining our trip. Thanks for the info. I will look into this further as it may prove to be very helpful. Just to be clear, do I need a DR note about my physical limitations or not?:shrug:

Upvote 0

conntom

And do you have to get a new one at each park If you go on the same day no.
But for each day yes.
DR note about my physical limitations I don't think so I was not ask for one anybody
can rent a ECV if you pay the price

Upvote 0

conntom

The ECV rental fee is $45.00 per day plus a $20.00 refundable security deposit for Theme Parks.The ECV rental fee of $45.00 per day. The rented unit must be returned to the original rental location to receive a credit card deposit refund.ECV is for
Electric Convenience Vehicles they are great it saves a lot on the knee and the back.
Hope you have a great time.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To confirm...

Doctor/medical notes are not required for the Guest Assistance Card. Also they are not needed for the rental of ECV or wheelchairs.

A Guest with a specific need for assistance should request a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations on their first day at a Disney Theme Park. If a Guest Assistance Card is issued, it will be valid for the entire length of stay at all Disney Theme Parks.

The WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible; that is, all Guests utilize the main entrance to the attraction. However, accessibility varies from attraction to attraction within our Parks. The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities and Park guidemaps use symbols to indicate boarding procedures for each attraction. In addition, Guests should contact a host or hostess at each attraction before entering.

The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities can be obtained in advance by calling 1-407-W-DISNEY and requesting them. Please allow up to 6 weeks for delivery.

The use of a ECV or wheelchair is highly recommended for those Guests with walking challenges as the distance between our attractions is often greater then the length of our queues.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom