Trouble in paradise officially?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Orange county is lifting mask mandates Friday most likely. Hence the need for a new line of wdw is gonna go bankrupt or be sold to the highest bidding investment group.

The msm used to pick up stories like this but they can't anymore.

My advice to most everyone, unless it is disposable income, it is always best to wait a year or two. Put some money in a cookie jar each week. Then it becomes much more affordable.

mostly reasonable with a “sprinkling” of unnecessary conspiracy theory...

ill take it...I guess?

Dan Deesnee

I'm not one to complain about Disney's prices because I've always thought the value was there. My family falls well, well above that 75k bracket and as this poll indicates we just don't have any interest in going any time soon.

For the money, it's not worth it, and most high earners know that. High earners in the 150k-300k+ range are typically very smart with their money. That's how they came to earn that much in the first place.

Disney can target high earners all they want but their current prices make them look not only greedy, but foolish.

I mean has anyone seen the prices for the Halloween bash thing? $125-190 something per person.

They're out of their damn minds and I hope Universal eats their lunch...

GimpYancIent

I'm not one to complain about Disney's prices because I've always thought the value was there. My family falls well, well above that 75k bracket and as this poll indicates we just don't have any interest in going any time soon.

For the money, it's not worth it, and most high earners know that. High earners in the 150k-300k+ range are typically very smart with their money. That's how they came to earn that much in the first place.

Disney can target high earners all they want but their current prices make them look not only greedy, but foolish.

I mean has anyone seen the prices for the Halloween bash thing? $125-190 something per person.

Yep, value for the dollar. If the quality of the product diminishes so does the value and discerning guests can tell the difference then move on. There are other places and things to do with high return and gratification.

Lilofan

Ones I know who are high earners ( accumulating net worth ) live below the radar, below their means, save and invest and buy and hold stock. The ones I also know who make 6 figure income live exactly like that live the high lifestyle paycheck to paycheck. I agree high earners are smart with their money but not all of them.

Dreaming of Disney World

I love Disney World, it's my favorite place in the world. If it were up to me I'd live nearby or at least visit every year. Unfortunately it's so expensive we can barely afford it, despite earning just under $100,000 per year.

The first time we went as adults with our own family in 2015 we put the whole trip on my credit card. I wanted to go so badly especially after spending the previous year as a stay at home mom doing all the work to take care of our infant daughter at the time. I was bored and burned out and really wanted a vacation. I hadn't been to Disney World in 16 years. My husband said to put it on my credit card, and he'd pay me back when he got his Christmas bonus. Unfortunately his bonus was much less than expected. It took several years to pay off that debt, and I said never again would I pay for a vacation with a credit card.

Then in 2018 I was again feeling burned out and bored while raising two young kids and desperately wanted to go back to Disney World. We hadn't taken any vacations since the previous 4 night trip to Disney in 2015, so my dad took pity on us and gave us lots of his airline miles which paid for most of our trip. I'm very grateful he offered that. We used my husband's Christmas bonus to pay for park tickets and some food. We lived paycheck to paycheck, but I managed to save a few hundred to add to our food budget. On our last day of vacation we ran out of money, and I had to use my credit card to pay for our meals and luggage (at the airport).

Thankfully my husband got promoted at work and receives much higher bonuses, which we use to pay for our trips without worry. However it's concerning that prices keep going up. Our 2019 trip will have been much cheaper than our upcoming 2022 trip. I hope they bring back free dining since that saved us $1000 last time.

I love Disney and am willing to pay for a good trip, but the cost does make me anxious. If fastpasses come back with an expensive price tag we won't be able to do that. I hope we can continue to visit and have a good time.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

So people who do go are stupid and don't know the value of a dollar?? 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we are in a position where the ego might start catching up to them. I knew it would happen eventually, but I did not expect it this soon.

I think consumer product history is full of examples where a popular product is pushed to the limit with incessant mandate for more returns...that it goes over a price cliff and never recovers.

many examples. The public turns on “too much for a good thing”...and it’s quiet. It just happens. Nobody has a press conference to announce what happened.

Disney management - to their credit - had always been aware of that line...they followed the ebb and flow of the economy. But this type of management isn’t the same.

eliza61nyc

Everyone makes personal choices. One choice I would not make but some have is to take out loans to help pay for their vacation. Others will pay for their vacation but will make minimum payments for future credit card bills.
Of course but some will also pay it off at the end of the month, get the airline points and use it to pay for other trips.

This assumption people here make on others financial life needs to stop. You (general usage) have ZERO insight into how fit anyone is and I'm sick if the inference that people here are sooo much more wordly or smarter than vacationers that decide to stay onsite or go to the holloween bash

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So people who do go are stupid and don't know the value of a dollar?? 😂

Too generalized...that is not dumb.

Everyone makes personal choices. One choice I would not make but some have is to take out loans to help pay for their vacation. Others will pay for their vacation but will make minimum payments for future credit card bills.

Now THAT...is dumb. Hope that Mickey waffle tasted good and was very filling. It will cost you $67.78

The Aracuan Bird

I think consumer product history is full of examples where a popular product is pushed to the limit with incessant mandate for more returns...that it goes over a price cliff and never recovers.

many examples. The public turns on “too much for a good thing”...and it’s quiet. It just happens. Nobody has a press conference to announce what happened.

Disney management - to their credit - had always been aware of that line...they followed the ebb and flow of the economy. But this type of management isn’t the same.
I’m not sure if they will never recover, but I think they are putting themselves in a position where major adjustments will need to be made in order to recover.

At the same time, reputation is a key factor. Their “reputation for quality” has long allowed them to get away with higher prices despite declining quality. If they craft a negative reputation that reaches the casual market, it will be difficult to overcome, regardless of the changes they make.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone here predicting the so called comeuppance of Disney.
I could have retired a decade earlier. 😂

that’s why it’s a “prediction”...you know better Liz. There’s a reasonable case to be made.

unlike “Disney is luxury now”...that dog don’t hunt. Evidenced by the smell of the hydraulic fluid when you’re on carousel of progress alone 😎

The Aracuan Bird

Lol, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone here predicting the so called comeuppance of Disney.
I could have retired a decade earlier. 😂
That’s why I said “I’m surprised to be seeing it this soon”. It was something you expected, but only in the unlikely scenario that they continued to overcharge despite less quality and a decline of disposable income with the masses. I didn’t expect them to be THAT foolish, yet here we are, and it doesn’t look like they are trying to correct course.

Lilofan

Of course but some will also pay it off at the end of the month, get the airline points and use it to pay for other trips.

This assumption people here make on others financial life needs to stop. You (general usage) have ZERO insight into how fit anyone is and I'm sick if the inference that people here are sooo much more wordly or smarter than vacationers that decide to stay onsite or go to the holloween bash
I've learned when I was down in debt long ago how to get ahead by listening to others. Some were full of BS, some were spot on. Something some may never see in their lifetime but can be achieved ( FIRE ). Financially Independent Retire Early .

dmw

In the Parks
No
Oh I agree 100% that going into major debt for a Disney trip is ridiculous, I’m just laughing at all the perfect people having their “peeing” contest on who has the least debt. It’s such a disboards conversation.
I have no debt at all. Zero. Nada. Last three vehicle purchases were cash. Mortgage is paid off. Retirement fully funded. Do I win??? 😜
"Cash is king. The paid off home mortgage is taking the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice." - Dave Ramsey
I may not be a DR purist, but there a lot of good principles one can follow to have financial freedom and enjoy life, "living your wage".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom