Tronorail to go into service tomorrow!

WDWExplorer

Banned
Original Poster
saw it several times today while at the TTC and epcot.. looked FANTASTIC!

fyi, there is only one on the beam.... Maybe this is only being done to ONE train? since it's both the color schemes on one train?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WHAT THE MICKEY MOUSE IS TRON???????? please explain :)

Tron was a science fiction movie disney put out in 1982. The movie did moderately well at its time, and has become something of a geek cult hit since then. Now, for whatever reason, Disney has decided to make a sequel 28 years later. They are desperately trying to drum up excitement among normal non geek people to see this movie, because of its bloated budget. Some rumors have it around 300 million. So now they have a monorail wrapped in a silly picture of a motorcycle, with the huge TRON on the side. Reeks of desperation.

Bairstow

Tron was a science fiction movie disney put out in 1982. The movie did moderately well at its time, and has become something of a geek cult hit since then. Now, for whatever reason, Disney has decided to make a sequel 28 years later. They are desperately trying to drum up excitement among normal non geek people to see this movie, because of its bloated budget. Some rumors have it around 300 million. So now they have a monorail wrapped in a silly picture of a motorcycle, with the huge TRON on the side. Reeks of desperation.

"Desperation" is a bit harsh. They have 9 months to promote the film, and given that the last mega-budget 3d Sci-fi movie, which some of you may have heard about, made plenty of money I don't see why Disney should be panicking yet.

This exercise in tackiness is hopefully just an experiment in marketing rather than a desperation move, particularly when you consider the very small exposure effect that the wrapped monorails is going to have on the moviegoing public in general. Believe it or not, most Americans won't go to Disneyworld this year, and even fewer are going to look at pictures of the monorails on Micechat or whatever.

rsoxguy

I saw the Tron Monorail this weekend at MK. Truthfully, I did not think it was a big deal. I like the regular monorail much better. This one looked like a city bus that has advertisement all over it. IMO, the regular monorails present a much cleaner and brighter look.

Bairstow

http://autoden.org/20-cool-and-inspiring-bus-ads-141322.html
bus_ads_013.jpg

Ok, I actually like this next one.
amazing_bus_advertisements.jpg

montyz81

You do realize that one of the reasons Walt built Disneyland was to help promote his movies don't you?
Then he would have thought of the idea himself. I don't ever recall seeing anything on any of his trains.. The Steam train, Veiwliner, Monorail..... or maybe your right and he just didn't think of it... oh well, i still don't like it.

fillerup

Nothing really new here, but this is Jason Garcia's take on this issue in today's Orlando Sentinel.

‘Tron-orail’ divides Disney faithful

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

One of Walt Disney World’s monorail trains has undergone a radical makeover.
The familiar, single-striped paint job has been replaced by the image of a motorcycle set against a blue background on the front cab — with a shimmering trail of light that extends the length of the train.

The flashy ad display, which debuted earlier this month, is part of the Walt Disney Co.’s early marketing campaign for Tron: Legacy, the big-budget sequel to the 1982 cult classic that will serve as the company’s winter-holiday movie release later this year.

It’s also the first time Disney World has wrapped any of its monorail trains — one of the resort’s most widely recognized symbols — with advertising that promotes something beyond the theme parks.

And it has proved astonishingly polarizing.

Though many Disney fans have been gushing over the sleek look, many others are criticizing the company in online fan forums for turning one of Disney World’s most universally recognized symbols into a 200-foot advertisement.

Some fans have even taken their displeasure to Disney’s company-run theme-park blog.

“Never thought I’d see the day that Disney would bus-wrap their monorails to advertise for a movie,” one commenter wrote. “What’s next, billboards on Cinderella Castle?” added another.

The backlash underscores the balancing act that faces Disney as it searches for new and more ways to use its theme parks to promote its movies, television shows and time shares without antagonizing its uniquely passionate — and vocal — fan base.

‘Moving billboards’

Disney has, of course, always used its theme parks to build awareness and affinity for its films and other products. But fans say the in-park advertising has grown more extensive over time.

“You get the feeling that over the years, the hard sell has been creeping in further and further. And finally it’s come to monorails as moving billboards,” said Michael Crawford, publisher of Progress City USA, a blog devoted to Disney news and history.

Disney says it is careful not to be heavy-handed with its advertising. The company noted that the Tron-wrapped monorail travels only to its Epcot theme park, which, like the movie, has a technology-heavy theme.

The train is never used on the resort’s Magic Kingdom track.
“Our parks are where our stories come to life and, if there’s a natural fit to bring in a new story, then we consider it,” Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius said.

Disney World has something of a checkered history when it comes to mixing park icons with marketing.

In 1996, for instance, Disney transformed Cinderella Castle into a giant pink birthday cake to trumpet the theme park’s 25th-anniversary celebration, in a move that to this day is still scorned by many fans.
Three years later, initially to promote its millennium celebration, Disney added a giant magic wand, held aloft by Mickey Mouse’s arm, to the side of Spaceship Earth, the 180-foot-tall geodesic sphere synonymous with Epcot.

When Disney finally announced plans to remove it eight years later, the decision so elated some fans that it prompted a front-page Sentinel story with the headline “Critics sure to find Epcot’s decision ‘wand-erful.’ ”

Still, marketing experts say the advertising appeal of such assets is obvious. The monorail trains are seen daily by tens of thousands of people, and the cost to display ads on them is negligible.

As long as there is some kind of “relevant link,” such advertising makes sense, said Gretchen Hofmann, a former marketing executive at Universal Orlando.

“If this were an ad for McDonald’s or paper towels, then they just went off a cliff. But it’s not, and they know better — and if they ever forget, their guests will let them know,” Hofmann said.

Lisa Cotter, a former Disney marketing executive, said the company risks angering some fans whenever it tinkers with a well-known symbol in its theme parks.

But the moves are often worthwhile, she said. Even the oft-ridiculed birthday-cake castle overlay had its advantages, she said.

“It was a look that garnered a great deal of publicity, created a signature shot and, let’s face it, made for some fun, memorable family photos, distinct from previous — and future — Disney theme-park vacations,” Cotter said.

The same is true of the monorail makeover, she added.
“When you think about it objectively, it’s a great brand fit — the technology of both — and, of course, using a huge, popular asset like the monorail will help build massive awareness and buzz for the film,” Cotter said.

Some Disney fans unfazed

To be sure, not all Disney fans have been upset by the advertising. John Frost, publisher of The Disney Blog, pointed out that Disney’s first iconic theme-park structure — Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. — was built with a mind toward promoting an animated film in development at the time.

“Walt saw the value of a product tie-in, and built this giant advertisement for a movie that was still five years away from opening in theaters,” Frost wrote in a recent post on his site. “At least Tron: Legacy opens in December.”

Jason Garcia can be reached at 407-420- 5414 or jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com.

Sorcerer Jen

It looks better than I thought it would, but I'm still not a fan really.. :shrug:

I agree about the yellow, I think they should have stuck to blue.

glee

Thankyou. Weird..Im usually part of the GEEK culture and never heard of it.:ROFLOL: :)

Thankyou x

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom