News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

DoleWhipDrea

Wow, how cool to actually be there for DL’s big Space Mountain reopening!

While I rode MK’s first, DL’s set an incredibly high standard when I finally made it (2008). Was so disappointed when MK’s refurbishment didn’t include a track overhaul, and now the ride is even rougher. Not quite as bad as the Matterhorn, but still.

At a minimum, Tron will provide a smooth, zippy experience to contrast with Space’s physically painful one. The canopy being sleek and beautiful in its own right doesn’t hurt. Sure, the ride could be longer, but at least every second of it ranges from enjoyable to wow-inducing.

It was an exciting summer! That and the debut of the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks were the standouts ^_^

It's a shame when you look at WDW vs DL. WDW's SM has more track but is based off of the original track of the Matterhorn...which has had it's track replaced since then. I wonder how many guests actually complain about how rough the track is to Disney?

My hubby is a tall man, and he's been miserable every time he's gone on SM at MK. He's a big fan of TRON and he's thrilled to get to ride a smoother coaster in TL.

ToTBellHop

I don’t personally find our Space Mountain to be rough at all. I did find Matterhorn to be almost unrideable in the back car if the train.

I love the FL Space Mountain track layout. DL’s is boring. “What should we do next? Uh...turn right again?!” On-ride audio is what I’d like most in FL, but it would require a new track. That closure would be rough on the park, and a TRON that you need a BG for in order to ride won’t help.

matt9112

Is it REALLY going to be worth it? Tron capacity and length are going to be big negatives for the ride. But, at least it will add some color to Tomorrrowland.

That's objective but my answer would be god no. The capacity is rubbish coupled with the short ride length you mentioned. I think your going to get a fair bit of "thats it?" From guests. Its upsetting more so when you know the only reason its coming to MK is because clone...aka cost. There too lazy to legitimately engineer a new ride for the MK with capacity that the park desperately needs. To be clear its a net gain no ride was torn down so that's something but yeah.

My two cents.

matt9112

It was an exciting summer! That and the debut of the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks were the standouts ^_^

It's a shame when you look at WDW vs DL. WDW's SM has more track but is based off of the original track of the Matterhorn...which has had it's track replaced since then. I wonder how many guests actually complain about how rough the track is to Disney?

My hubby is a tall man, and he's been miserable every time he's gone on SM at MK. He's a big fan of TRON and he's thrilled to get to ride a smoother coaster in TL.

Its funny because to me the rough and unpredictable nature of MKs SM is the only value it has. Hoping your not going to die adds a level of thrill. Knowing the support system is legitimately welded on a regular basis really adds icing to the cake.

I agree it needs a retrack but it needs to keep the speed...needs to loose the block brakes it uses in a few spots. Its not fast enough or anything really special otherwise IMHO.

Dranth

For me, yes. Tron might be short, but it's such a blast - rode it 4 or 5 times during my day in the park.

Architecture aside, I'd take it any day over Space Mountain in its current state.

Also, as you touched on, the canopy will bring an amazing aesthetic to Tomorrowland at night.

View attachment 583076
View attachment 583077
That isn't saying much though. Many medieval torture devices are more comfortable than the current SM.

matt9112

That isn't saying much though. Many medieval torture devices are more comfortable than the current SM.

Another aspect donald is forgetting is the park its in....would be cery expensive to ride this version a few times in a row. I think anticipated wait etc play a factor into the "fun" tron is probably awesome at 45 minutes but how about 120?

corran horn

Those trees will block it pretty effectively when you are on the path right next to them (the trees). I'm sure you'll be able to see the top of the building, but you'd have to intentionally be looking over the trees.

I also think if they plan trees next to/around the smaller building (did we ever determine what that is? gift shop?) , it will block part of the showbuilding from the farther views from the circus area.
Yeah, when you're in that space (at ground level) it's surprising how much of the existing SBC theming blocks your view of that building, even though it's quite large.

Now on the upper tiers of the barnstormer line...that's always gonna be a problem.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Another aspect donald is forgetting is the park its in....would be cery expensive to ride this version a few times in a row. I think anticipated wait etc play a factor into the "fun" tron is probably awesome at 45 minutes but how about 120?
I’ve made it pretty clear that I think the ride is a lot of fun: smooth, fast, and truly packing some wow factor. That would still be the case even if I only rode it once.

For those of you who feel differently, feel free to skip the MK version. Fingers crossed by then you’ll have both Space Mountain and the railroad again!

CinematicFusion

For me, yes. Tron might be short, but it's such a blast - rode it 4 or 5 times during my day in the park.

Architecture aside, I'd take it any day over Space Mountain in its current state.

Also, as you touched on, the canopy will bring an amazing aesthetic to Tomorrowland at night.

View attachment 583076
View attachment 583077
How does it compare to Hagrids? That was a awesome experience. Tron looks like it will be amazing. Riding at night will definitely be a hightlight.

doctornick

I don’t personally find our Space Mountain to be rough at all. I did find Matterhorn to be almost unrideable in the back car if the train.

I love the FL Space Mountain track layout. DL’s is boring. “What should we do next? Uh...turn right again?!” On-ride audio is what I’d like most in FL, but it would require a new track. That closure would be rough on the park, and a TRON that you need a BG for in order to ride won’t help.
I’m totally with you. When we went recently I specifically made it a point to feel how “rough” Space was but don’t really get it. The seating configuration feels cramped (as always) and though to get in and out but the ride is just a bit jerky. Nothing really exceptional to me that warrants the complaining we see here regularly. I definitely felt the Matterhorn was tougher last time I was in DL.

That said, I’m not suggesting people are “wrong” just that it’s not my experience.

I do want Space to be retracked though to add the on board audio which really does elevate DL. The track layout in MK is certainly superior though so I’d like to see it remain in general. I’d also like to see them widen the track to allow for two people across for better capacity. If MK could have two person rows plus the dual track, I would think the capacity would be pretty impressive

DonaldDoleWhip

How does it compare to Hagrids? That was a awesome experience. Tron looks like it will be amazing. Riding at night will definitely be a hightlight.
Can’t compare it to Hagrid’s yet (one more week to go!) - from what I know, Tron offers less substance yet still packs quite a punch.

Nighttime really is the best time to ride, but even daytime rides will be a blast.

Once it opens, it’ll be my favorite of MK’s coasters/mountains. Likely a top 3 attraction for me, with Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain. In Shanghai it was top two (with Pirates, no question).

CinematicFusion

Can’t compare it to Hagrid’s yet (one more week to go!) - from what I know, Tron offers less substance yet still packs quite a punch.

Nighttime really is the best time to ride, but even daytime rides will be a blast.

Once it opens, it’ll be my favorite of MK’s coasters/mountains. Likely a top 3 attraction for me, with Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain. In Shanghai it was top two (with Pirates, no question).
I loved hagrids and velocicoaster. I love slinky dog dash, rock n roller , expedition Everest. Each bring something different to the table and I’m not disappointed in any of them.
Hopefully Tron brings something awesome to the table. 60 mph is fast. That coaster will be moving
Velicicoaster was insane and off the charts intense, not expecting any Disney coaster to ever match that level of insanity.

DonaldDoleWhip

I loved hagrids and velocicoaster. I love slinky dog dash, rock n roller , expedition Everest. Each bring something different to the table and I’m not disappointed in any of them.
Hopefully Tron brings something awesome to the table. 60 mph is fast. That coaster will be moving
Velicicoaster was insane and off the charts intense, not expecting any Disney coaster to ever match that level of insanity.
Agreed with all the Disney callouts (and very likely to agree with the Uni ones as well) - while I'm happy to enjoy a good 'slow' ride, I get a lot of enjoyment out of themed coasters, and they all deliver something. Even Mine Train scores points for its main scene; now there's a ride I wish were longer.

Just checked on YouTube, and it seems Tron is about 70 seconds from start to finish (not including the trip to unload). RnRC, about 100 seconds. Mine Train, about 130.

Of these, Mine Train feels the least satisfying to me, not because it's slow, but because it's so sparse outside of the mine. In comparison, Tron and RnRC accomplish what they need to do, with the launch clearly being the highlight. The theming on Tron tops RnRC as well - the aesthetic is just so cool.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 4.43.49 PM.png

People have every right to be disappointed we're not getting more, but as for Tron itself, I can't help but feel hyped. Would happily take it over Space Mountain, and those who disagree will be able to ride SM as much as they want–likely with shorter waits!

celluloid

This. WDW's is always the superior Space to me. It feels like a more well paced ride, it has the dual layout as a bonus if you want something different(yes mirror image, so a slight bonus) Inline seating is much more fun and vulnerable in the dark and the air time is great for a small coaster. Not to mention the queue is more interesting in my opinion than DL's.

Casper Gutman

Tron, like Navi Cruise and the Mine Train, feels more like the IDEA of a ride then an actual ride. The concept is neat so the substance can be almost totally lacking.

To its credit, this is something Uni has, it seems, avoided. Uni has rides that are lacking - F&F, Fallon - but they don’t lack content. There’s some there there, even if the there is stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom