News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

doctornick

I did! The launch in the first row feels pretty epic. The view under the canopy is really amazing, especially at night. One thing to note as well is, when riding under the canopy, you are really, really high up! So donā€™t look down if youā€™re afraid of heights.

Does Tron have a separate ā€œfront rowā€ line when you go closer to the ride?

PorterRedkey

I agree! I would be totally up for redesigning the Dino section of Animal Kingdom into a South American theme with jungle flora and fauna, an archaeological dig site, temple ruins and the Indiana Jones ride... Chester and Hester area could be redesigned to be a beautiful South American village with shops and dining and an additional ride or two, then create an Amazon Jungle Trek walk through zoological exhibit.
I like dinosaurs and all, but feel like this would be a better fit...
IMHO Disney doesnā€™t need to be replacing a perfectly fine and unique attraction for a 25 year old dark ride (as cool as it may be).

I do like your idea for an Amazon jungle trek. Chester and Hesters needs to go, but keep Dinosaur. It is great ride and has got even better since they made the lighting changes a few years ago.

Marc Davis Fan

Interesting take on the front vs back rows of Tron, @Bocabear. I've been in the front and back of small Zamperla "bike coasters," and I did indeed find that the back row was substantially more forceful. (Unfortunately, I was near the middle, and closer to the front, the one time I rode Tron.)

Chester and Hesters needs to go, but keep Dinosaur. It is great ride and has got even better since they made the lighting changes a few years ago.

Dinosaur is criminally underrated, probably because it's contrasted with IJA. If Dinosaur were truly considered on its own, and if it were better situated in Dinoland (e.g., the paths directed people to it as a "weenie"), I think it would often be in people's WDW "top ten" lists.

Considering this, I think the removal of the distraction that is C&H, and some better signage and redesigned pathways that direct crowdflow towards Dinosaur, and Dinoland would quite suddenly come into its own. It's a paradigm case of "addition by subtraction." Dinoland already has the bones (sorry) to be a solid land. It just needs some tweaking.

Brer Panther

Dinosaur is criminally underrated, probably because it's contrasted with IJA. If Dinosaur were truly considered on its own, and if it were better situated in Dinoland (e.g., the paths directed people to it as a "weenie"), I think it would often be in people's WDW "top ten" lists.
I love Dinosaur! Dunno why so many people don't like it, honestly...

rowrbazzle

IMHO Disney doesnā€™t need to be replacing a perfectly fine and unique attraction for a 25 year old dark ride (as cool as it may be).

I do like your idea for an Amazon jungle trek. Chester and Hesters needs to go, but keep Dinosaur. It is great ride and has got even better since they made the lighting changes a few years ago.

I decided to give Dinosaur a go recently after not having ridden it for years. After the ride, I just wished I had my 30 minutes back. I've never ridden the Indy ride so I can only compare Dinosaur to other rides at WDW. I'm sure its location doesn't help it in attracting guests, but I really don't think that's what's keeping it out of Top 10 lists. As far as I'm concerned, it can go along with the rest of Dinoland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I decided to give Dinosaur a go recently after not having ridden it for years. After the ride, I just wished I had my 30 minutes back. I've never ridden the Indy ride so I can only compare Dinosaur to other rides at WDW. I'm sure its location doesn't help it in attracting guests, but I really don't think that's what's keeping it out of Top 10 lists. As far as I'm concerned, it can go along with the rest of Dinoland.

I wish your bruised ribs a speedy recovery!

HanSoloDolo

Iā€™m a big Dinosaur fan. I love how despite riding it 100+ times my fiancĆ© is still terrified every time the Carnatorous(?) comes out. If it does get replaced I just want the ā€œYour not gonna make it! Your not gonna make it! You made it!ā€ To stay.

Basil of Baker Street

Interesting take on the front vs back rows of Tron, @Bocabear. I've been in the front and back of small Zamperla "bike coasters," and I did indeed find that the back row was substantially more forceful. (Unfortunately, I was near the middle, and closer to the front, the one time I rode Tron.)

Considering this, I think the removal of the distraction that is C&H, and some better signage and redesigned pathways that direct crowdflow towards Dinosaur, and Dinoland would quite suddenly come into its own. It's a paradigm case of "addition by subtraction." Dinoland already has the bones (sorry) to be a solid land. It just needs some tweaking.

I find the back row of Expedition Everest better for the backwards part. Seems to be more force in the back.

PorterRedkey

This is a Tron thread, but I am curious as to why you have such disdain for Dinosaur. I love Dinosaur, but even I don't think it is in WDW's top 10. And to tie this to Tron, it most likely won't be in my top 10 either.

DCLcruiser

I never like to ride coasters in the back because you get all the whiplash. I prefer front row for RoRc, EE, etc.

DINOSAUR, is great. That ride technique is great, also at Indy in DLR. It needs more love, as it is hidden and attached to a forgettable IP (I didn't even realize it was a Disney IP at first).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I never like to ride coasters in the back because you get all the whiplash. I prefer front row for RoRc, EE, etc.

DINOSAUR, is great. That ride technique is great, also at Indy in DLR. It needs more love, as it is hidden and attached to a forgettable IP (I didn't even realize it was a Disney IP at first).

You complain of coaster whiplash but you think DINOSAUR is great?!!

You must have very weak front and back neck muscles and very strong left and right neck muscles!

We need someone to take an accelerometer on that ride...

DCLcruiser

You complain of coaster whiplash but you think DINOSAUR is great?!!

You must have very weak front and back neck muscles and very strong left and right neck muscles!

We need someone to take an accelerometer on that ride...

Lol, I get your point but I think there are some differences:

1) Speed. Whiplash at coaster speed I find worse, and not enhancing the experience vs. front.
2) Dinosaur doesn't offer an alternative experience. Every seat is the same (well, maybe center is a bit better).
3) Dinosaur's car movement is part of the story. Whiplash on a coaster isn't the purpose of the track design.

corran horn

Lol, I get your point but I think there are some differences:

1) Speed. Whiplash at coaster speed I find worse, and not enhancing the experience vs. front.
2) Dinosaur doesn't offer an alternative experience. Every seat is the same (well, maybe center is a bit better).
3) Dinosaur's car movement is part of the story. Whiplash on a coaster isn't the purpose of the track design.

Darkness plays a part as well. Getting jerked in a direction where the motion is telegraphed by a visual is one thing. Having it happen blindly is quite another.

Bocabear

I know this is a Tron thread, but I just need to add...Dinosaur is lacking the full elements that make it's Indiana Jones counterpart so successful. The time leap just looks like you are driving through a toaster oven, no real sense of travel other then moving through a hallway and you can totally see the jungle plants in the next room from where you enter the toaster oven... It needs a better time leap effect. The other rooms are all too dark. What makes IJ special; is the full dimensional temple set that is visible all around you...the fire and flames and lava gorge... They could have designed a better set for the main room and made it more visible... When you see there you are going it sort of makes it more interesting. Then the missing movement to the pterodactyl, and again the time leap...those would go a long way into make it much more of a wow than a herky jerky ride in the dark. I like the ride... but it could be so much better.

Jones14

The toaster oven looks a lot better with the lasers and fog working, though, and the 2016 update to the compies is also much appreciated.

I also think the ride could benefit from a score. Thereā€™s nothing going on musically until the very end, and a big part of Indyā€™s success can be directly tied to how well the music is integrated.

Disney Analyst

I know this is a Tron thread, but I just need to add...Dinosaur is lacking the full elements that make it's Indiana Jones counterpart so successful. The time leap just looks like you are driving through a toaster oven, no real sense of travel other then moving through a hallway and you can totally see the jungle plants in the next room from where you enter the toaster oven... It needs a better time leap effect. The other rooms are all too dark. What makes IJ special; is the full dimensional temple set that is visible all around you...the fire and flames and lava gorge... They could have designed a better set for the main room and made it more visible... When you see there you are going it sort of makes it more interesting. Then the missing movement to the pterodactyl, and again the time leap...those would go a long way into make it much more of a wow than a herky jerky ride in the dark. I like the ride... but it could be so much better.

THIS. The actual art design of the ride is just bad...

Indiana Jones truly feels like you are driving through this multi-level, fully dimensional, real temple. Incredible practical effects all over the place. And the queue starts this story off from the moment you enter the jungle. Add in the score, different "Stories" setup at the beginning of ride, and different ride experiences. It's truly a masterpiece of imagineering (minus the dark room/dart room....)

Dinosaur is just simply a way lesser clone when you know what that layout/system is capable of.

But this is wayyyyy off topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom