News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think B&Ms are just too noisy for the WDW park environments. It's that box track support beam... amplifies the noise of the train on the track.

It does...but I bet if you had deep pockets and a building full of bored engineers with top of the line design and fabrication tools...you could work with B&M and design something new?

Kman101

Still looks more professional than the new Hollywood Studios logo... ;)

Wonder when are we getting that monstrosity in the park? At least I liked the new paint scheme on the studio entrance that will display the logo ...

But anyway, back to TRON ...

I can only hope the Speedway overhaul wasn't budget cut. The speedway is so basic, the cars stink ... I know people love it but man, they could do SO much better with the Speedway. Just look at Disneyland's and even Hong Kong's. And even Tokyo realized how poor it was so they got rid of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wonder when are we getting that monstrosity in the park? At least I liked the new paint scheme on the studio entrance that will display the logo ...

But anyway, back to TRON ...

I can only hope the Speedway overhaul wasn't budget cut. The speedway is so basic, the cars stink ... I know people love it but man, they could do SO much better with the Speedway. Just look at Disneyland's and even Hong Kong's. And even Tokyo realized how poor it was so they got rid of it.

The speedway is beyond outdated. I like “classic” amusements with history more than anyone (kennywood born and bred)...but that thing has to go. It’s retained purely for the 1861 crowd - I’ve always felt - so they let it sit.

That space could be used for 2 solid new attractions...which are desperately needed

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Old Vekoma’s are rough. The track design introduced with Expedition Everest, and since improved, is significantly better.

Yes.

In 1995 a vekoma was a treat...

But you had to bring Everest into it huh?
Everest...doesn’t really DO anything. It’s tame before it’s years. A 95 foot dip and some
Helix are not hard elements to master.

Oh...bout 1000 feet of switchback...guess that’s cool too 😉

Last edited:

cjkeating

Vekoma... it's interesting. With the exception of junior suspended coasters, North America has mostly given up on Vekoma coasters since Hard Rock Park... that is if you look at parks outside of Disney. Excluding Disney parks, the last major Vekoma coasters built new (not relocated) in the US were built in 2008. However, since 2008, WDW built (or is building) four coasters, three of which are Vekoma and when you look at all of the coasters at WDW built (or under construction) in the past twenty years, (counting Primeval Whirl as one coaster), 71% are Vekoma... but you really can't complain because all of the Vekoma's at Disney all run really well (i.e. smooth).

You raise a very interesting point I've thought about before.

I think with Vekoma you have a company where if you are willing to spend the money they will produce a high quality, reliable coaster that is above all highly customised to your requirements. B&M are know for being very inflexible and Intamin unreliable (and a slightly dubious safety record at times).

Vekoma have also been very willing to step in and help with other coasters Disney have bought from other manufactures, I believe they have replaced track and systems on both California Screamin' and the Indiana Jones coaster at Paris. It wouldn't surprise me if much of the remedial work done to Primeval Whirl was done by Vekoma either.

The problem is most parks go to Vekoma for cheap/cloned coasters.

lazyboy97o

In 1995 a vekoma was a treat...

But you had to bring Everest into it huh?
Everest...doesn’t really DO anything. It’s tame before it’s years. A 95 foot dip and some
Helix are not hard elements to master.

Oh...bout 1000 feet of switchback...guess that’s cool too 😉
What you think of Expedition Everest doesn’t change that Vekoma now largely uses a different track design.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What you think of Expedition Everest doesn’t change that Vekoma now largely uses a different track design.
I got it...but Everest is at best a “medium” thrill effort...so it doesn’t exactly decree them as an industry leader either.

And it’s not what “I think”...technically speaking Everest is not an incredible ride system...nor was it designed to be. It was an element of a 3 part story and that’s exactly what the system supports.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think with Vekoma you have a company where if you are willing to spend the money they will produce a high quality, reliable coaster that is above all highly customised to your requirements. B&M are know for being very inflexible and Intamin unreliable (and a slightly dubious safety record at times).

You probably have to consider target audience as well. The lowest height requirement I've seen on a B&M is 52" (Wild Eagle at Dollywood) and I believe that this requirement is based manly on the restraint design. Highest height requirement on any ride at WDW is 48" with only one ride on property needing that requirement (everything else is 44" or under). Tron will likely be 48" (based on the height requirement at Shanghai). According to US averages, most people 7 years old and older can ride an attraction with a 48" height requirement, but to ride a 52" ride, generally riders would need to be 9 years old and older. Not sure if there are studies on the percentage of Disney visitors who are 7 and 8 who would be excluded by building a ride with 52" height requirement but not excluded by a ride with a 48" height requirement.

Back on topic... here is what Tron at Shanghai looked like in March 2014 (about 26 months before the ride soft opened)... very similar to the stage the attraction in Orlando is currently in. Seems to align with what others were saying about a mid-2021 opening (certainly prior to the October "official" 50th anniversary).

Tron-ride-construction.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You probably have to consider target audience as well. The lowest height requirement I've seen on a B&M is 52" (Wild Eagle at Dollywood) and I believe that this requirement is based manly on the restraint design. Highest height requirement on any ride at WDW is 48" with only one ride on property needing that requirement (everything else is 44" or under). Tron will likely be 48" (based on the height requirement at Shanghai). According to US averages, most people 7 years old and older can ride an attraction with a 48" height requirement, but to ride a 52" ride, generally riders would need to be 9 years old and older. Not sure if there are studies on the percentage of Disney visitors who are 7 and 8 who would be excluded by building a ride with 52" height requirement but not excluded by a ride with a 48" height requirement.

Back on topic... here is what Tron at Shanghai looked like in March 2014 (about 26 months before the ride soft opened)... very similar to the stage the attraction in Orlando is currently in. Seems to align with what others were saying about a mid-2021 opening (certainly prior to the October "official" 50th anniversary).

View attachment 380856
B&M sells a Family [inverted] Coaster that they advertise as having a 115 cm (45.2”) minimum height.

I believe TRON was one of the few things ready earlier than the rest of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom