News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

N2dru

Jeany’s been asking about the gift shop for years now. For her sake I hope it’s better than the new one at the end of TSMM.
Disney was shortsighted or should we say budget conscious, ending up having to cram the gift shop in at the exit. Instead of building the larger Al's Toy Barn that was originally planned but dropped.

Monorail_Red_77

Is that houses of golden oak in the background ??
No, That is housing to the north behind Magic Kingdom and to the west of CM Parking (West Clock). Windermere Cay Luxury Apartments. Right next door to property. Actually sandwiched between WDW Property like a Peninsula. WDW Property is on the left, right and bottom of their property.

This might make a little more sense, the apartments shown in red.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re both kind of right.

I’ll cue the broken record, because even though @marni1971 and I have said this many times, it’s helpful to remember why FP+ exists. Before Uni built Potter, Disney believed the theme park market had topped out. They decided they owned the market, focused on selling DVC, and comfortably settled into what they called a “Blue Ocean” strategy of cost-cutting and minimal maintenance (even though that’s not what a Blue Ocean business plan actually means).

Fastplus + and its overall NextGen system were concocted as ways to spread existing crowds to existing attractions, in hopes Disney wouldn’t have to build anything new. You don’t have to take my word for it: execs announced the strategy at shareholder meetings. Iger shilled MagicBands as a new source of income, saying the company expected merch sales to increase as guests mindlessly tapped their bracelets without paying attention to how much they were spending. Again, this is on record.

That’s why FP+ and MagicBands exist. There’s no bigger reason for magic, pixie dust, improved guest experience, or any other claims the Mommy Bloggers ate up from Disney’s marketing spin rooms.

Unfortunately, Disney changed its operating procedures to exploit FP+ reservations, and often runs attractions at sub-optimal levels to artificially create long queues that the day’s attendance should not demand. This is why you can go to the MK on a slow day and still stand in 45-minute lines.

The experiment was also a failure, and the system was never expanded to the other worldwide resorts as originally planned.

Fortunately for us fans, the crowds did not disperse, attendance actually rose, and Uni built Potter! Now we have New FL and Pandora, with many more investments to come — including Tron.

This is one of the greatest posts ever on this or any Disney board. Well done.

On the tron thing...is this a vekoma? Intamin?

Track reminds of a vekoma. I’m too lazy to search for it.

Last edited:

DHSCM

No, That is housing to the north behind Magic Kingdom and to the west of CM Parking (West Clock). Windermere Cay Luxury Apartments. Right next door to property. Actually sandwiched between WDW Property like a Peninsula. WDW Property is on the left, right and bottom of their property.

View attachment 380662

View attachment 380663

This might make a little more sense, the apartments shown in red.
View attachment 380669
place sucks to live in as well. i never renewed and a bunch of other people think the same thing.. just look up reveiws for the place

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
On the tron thing...is this a vekoma? Intamin?

Track reminds of a vekoma. I’m too lazy to search for it.

Vekoma... it's interesting. With the exception of junior suspended coasters, North America has mostly given up on Vekoma coasters since Hard Rock Park... that is if you look at parks outside of Disney. Excluding Disney parks, the last major Vekoma coasters built new (not relocated) in the US were built in 2008. However, since 2008, WDW built (or is building) four coasters, three of which are Vekoma and when you look at all of the coasters at WDW built (or under construction) in the past twenty years, (counting Primeval Whirl as one coaster), 71% are Vekoma... but you really can't complain because all of the Vekoma's at Disney all run really well (i.e. smooth).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Vekoma... it's interesting. With the exception of junior suspended coasters, North America has mostly given up on Vekoma coasters since Hard Rock Park... that is if you look at parks outside of Disney. Excluding Disney parks, the last major Vekoma coasters built new (not relocated) in the US were built in 2008. However, since 2008, WDW built (or is building) four coasters, three of which are Vekoma and when you look at all of the coasters at WDW built (or under construction) in the past twenty years, (counting Primeval Whirl as one coaster), 71% are Vekoma... but you really can't complain because all of the Vekoma's at Disney all run really well (i.e. smooth).
Vekoma are ROUGH by today’s standards...though they were more “smooth” in the 90’s renaissance.

It pains me to see that Disney would never pay B&M to do an elaborately themed project...I think WDI and B&M could have benefitted greatly through collaboration.

Also...remember that vekoma are known for “compact” layouts.
Disney’s design requirements are always curious. They won’t build a full size rollercoaster and theme it. But they’ll build fake avatar mountains 100 feet up you can’t see and spend 3 years computer generating sandblasted rock work for a made up Star Wars planet gift shop facade that nobody cares about.

Need to be less “imagine” and a little more “eering” - just my opinion

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Vekoma are ROUGH by today’s standards...though they were more “smooth” in the 90’s renaissance.

It pains me to see that Disney would never pay B&M to do an elaborately themed project...I think WDI and B&M could have benefitted greatly through collaboration.
I think B&Ms are just too noisy for the WDW park environments. It's that box track support beam... amplifies the noise of the train on the track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom