News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

Vastly different?
We must have a different definition of vast.
Tweaked, updated, reimagined yes.
The parks share a concept. It makes sense that there's overlap, that was the idea. They were building something that could offer guests a Disneyland-style experience in Florida. But to go to the length that so much be repeated without ever being replicated is a massive feat and shouldn't be swept aside.

It would have made sense - creatively and financially - if parts of Disneyland were rebuilt precisely in Magic Kingdom. But for every moment that you might say "hey, that scene in the Submarine ride is just like the one in California" there actually was time and money spent to redesign it for Florida. The closest thing really was Mansion, who had several show scenes worth of animatronics built alongside the DL originals. If the Ballroom is for all intents exactly the same then sue 'em, but even then they built the ride out significantly and redesigned the house and its property. Same concept, bigger and better* execution.

The parks both had castles and the same names for the most of the lands, but every land, attraction, shop, and building was designed specifically for Florida and different from the way they were executed at Disneyland. It was a sibling, but never a twin. That the park was ultimately an exploration of the same ideas makes it MORE impressive that nothing was quite the same, not less impressive.

It was the company's own pride that kept them from carrying things over without reimagining, which is the point. The company today does not share this same pride unless they find themselves in a corner where it's absolutely necessary to tweak, update, and reimagine.

*Obviously better is a matter of taste, but I think you see what I mean in this context.

Kman101

Seriously. For this money, they should build a 5-minute dark ride introducing guests to the Tron universe, and at the end of the dark ride, people would queue up for the one-minute roller-coaster.

At least that would provide more rider value for the time invested.

That would be ideal. Sadly ... the thrill is all that matters. We've seen this time and again. Look at Test Track and Soarin'. Both good thrill rides at the end of the day that work in Epcot. But the setup isn't really there. You just go right to the thrill (Soarin' and Test Track aren't awful setups by any means but we all know they could have been much more fleshed out, ala your idea for TRON, and I think it would have worked well for World of Motion/Test Track. Slow moving to fast race around a track)

MagicJack78

Forums are always filled with would of, could of, should of, and maybe should not have. Thats the beauty of this forum. With that being said, it's real easy to Monday morning quarterback the heck out of these projects based on what we know and we don't know everything. Even the insiders only know what they are told. I think some of the insiders would support that.
With all of that being said. I'm pumped to be getting Tron in the Magic Kingdom. As with everything, I'll wait till the final project has been completed to come to my own determination on how well something was executed.
If I've learned anything from 4 years of the Avatar project, it is to be patient. Look how amazing that turned out. Perfect? No, but an excellent addition to Animal Kingdom none the less. A lot of people on this page were writing it off as a complete debacle and the end result in most peoples opinion is a stellar one.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yeah, Soarin should have had its own aviation themed pavilion, not literally shoehorned into The Land pavilion. They wouldn't even have to move the actual Soarin' buildings as they're in the right place, just open the space between Journey and The Land....so easy to do and probably wouldn't cost much
Eh, I think it fits fine with The Land. It is an attraction that that flys over "lands". Living with Land balances it well IMO.

Kman101

Forums are always filled with would of, could of, should of, and maybe should not have. Thats the beauty of this forum. With that being said, it's real easy to Monday morning quarterback the heck out of these projects based on what we know and we don't know everything. Even the insiders only know what they are told. I think some of the insiders would support that.
With all of that being said. I'm pumped to be getting Tron in the Magic Kingdom. As with everything, I'll wait till the final project has been completed to come to my own determination on how well something was executed.
If I've learned anything from 4 years of the Avatar project, it is to be patient. Look how amazing that turned out. Perfect? No, but an excellent addition to Animal Kingdom none the less. A lot of people on this page were writing it off as a complete debacle and the end result in most peoples opinion is a stellar one.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking is what we do here :) We analyze, overanalyze and repeat the process.

And there's usually lots of great discussions.

Nothing wrong with speculating.

Kman101

Eh, I think it fits fine with The Land. It is an attraction that that flys over "lands". Living with Land balances it well IMO.

We should want more than "it's fine". It does "fit", yes, but it could have fit better. Wishing for something to better doesn't make what's there 'bad'.

Why not have an aviation pavilion?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We should want more than "it's fine". It does "fit", yes, but it could have fit better. Wishing for something to better doesn't make what's there 'bad'.

Why not have an aviation pavilion?
Well, what would you suggest to complement Living with the Land?

Kman101

Agreed with everything you said!!! Just trying to create a little more open mindedness.
That's all. Pretty harmless.

Oh, I appreciate trying to create a little more open mindedness (I try too). But people are pretty set in their ways (not necessarily a bad thing, not saying it is). I try to approach things more from the middle, I don't love everything they do, but I don't immediately hate everything either. Most are more in the middle in actuality. Just some strong feelings towards how things used to be and how things should be.

And there's some jaded feelings from being let down by the company in the past when it comes to investing in WDW.

For me, I enjoy speculating on rumors and thinking of what they could have done, what they may do, etc.

Just trying to explain how I've observed things over the years.

The forum is very much full of great posters who know quite a bit (sort of an understatement I suppose). But I think we all get caught up in the rumors and the speculating but to me that's fun. I know some tire of "armchair imagineering" but that's not how I see it most of the time. It's just harmless speculation. (Not trying to say you were against any of this, just using replying to you as a jumping off point for another point I wanted to make).

Kman101

Don't mind me, I mis-read your comment. you're talking about having a separate Aviation Pavilion as opposed to being in The Land pavilion. I got ya. But as it stands for me right now, the Land is a great pavilion.

No worries. I sometimes don't express myself that well. But yeah, it would have been nice to have had an aviation pavilion and a better set up to Soarin'. But I actually don't mind it attached to The Land. It does indeed work (I feel California works better attached to the pavilion, the World version works better in a stand-alone, but it's just minor quibbles, not a "real" problem by any means).

Walt d

Sorta ok.

It's nice to have a new coaster at WDW.

Yet, Tomorrowland continues its slide towards visual and thematic incohesiveness as the powers that be think theme park design is 'plop down random IP rides anywhere opportune'.
Cant wait for this” wish there was a new film, to go with it. Do you hear me booby? Glad to be a user..

Sky

I know this just happened at Disneyland, but doesn’t parking one of the locomotives at Main Street Station put an immense load on the station substructure? I know it can sit up there for extended periods...but a year seems like a long time for a deadload that immense.

Lensman

Yeah, Soarin should have had its own aviation themed pavilion, not literally shoehorned into The Land pavilion. They wouldn't even have to move the actual Soarin' buildings as they're in the right place, just open the space between Journey and The Land....so easy to do and probably wouldn't cost much
Is Soarin' about aviation or about the natural and man-made features that you fly over? I'm honestly asking this question and not being sarcastic. Note that I'm not using the sarcasm fonts - comic sans or papyrus.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom