News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Shhhhhh, don't tell the self-proclaimed "WDW History nuts" or they'll have to find a new reason to preach their unfounded distaste for the ride. (Or anything new, it seems)
You have a problem? Spit it out.

Or maybe you just don’t understand someone else’s opinion so have to try and shout it down?

How do you know my taste - whatever it is - is unfounded? Hint - you don’t.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Exactly.
WDW was nearly a clone of Disneyland (save for some differences in castles, HM rides and Pirates rides - which are still essentially the same rides) when it debuted, and I don't believe anyone had a problem with that.
Goodness . . . the Magic Kingdom was so VASTLY different from Disneyland when it opened. With the amount of money that was spent to avoid the suggestion that it was a mere cut and paste job . . . I certainly hope you're joking.

Just went down a list of opening day attractions at MK, and not a single one didn't see change from it's Disneyland original. Literally not one. Even Dumbo and the Teacups were redesigned in their aesthetics. How easy would it have been for a much smaller, much less rich 1970 Disney Company to just dust off plans from Disneyland? And they didn't do it once.

yensidtlaw1969

"Space mountain will never fit in Tomorrowland. Seriously, it's just going to be this big cone sitting in the middle of a field past all the great tomorrow and attractions. So disconnected from everything."
"Splash Mountain will never fit in fronteirland. It's just going to sit between big thunder and the rest, just totally out of place, disconnected from everything."

"Tower of terror will never fit in Hollywood Studios. It's just so massive, sitting right in the middle of nowhere. It's totally disconnected from the sound-stage style of the rest of the park."

Honestly, you can put 60% of all major previous E-tickets in there. They've worked out.
Remember that the addition of Splash Mountain necessitated a large redesign of the entire back half of Frontierland . . . much effort was made to suit it to the place it was going - even the mountain itself was totally redesigned from Disneyland to be inclusive of elements already found in WDW's Frontierland and read better alongside Big Thunder.

Tower of Terror is a poorer example, since the entire land of Sunset Boulevard was designed to be a lead up to it from the existing park. Again, great pains taken to justify the transition from the park as it already existed to the new development being added.

Space Mountain was only ever disconnected by proximity to the rest of the land - thematically it fit the look and feel of the land from the beginning. MK's Tomorrowland really wasn't whole until it arrived. Its place was held in the design of the land from the get-go.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Remember that the addition of Splash Mountain necessitated a large redesign of the entire back half of Frontierland . . . much effort was made to suit it to the place it was going - even the mountain itself was totally redesigned to be inclusive of elements already found in WDW's Frontierland and read better alongside Big Thunder.

Tower of Terror is a poorer example, since the entire land of Sunset Boulevard was designed to be a lead up to it from the existing park. Again, great pains taken to justify the transition from the park as it already existed to the new development being added.

Space Mountain was only ever disconnected by proximity to the rest of the land - thematically it fit the look and feel of the land from the beginning. MK's Tomorrowland really wasn't whole until it arrived.
Exactly. Every single one of my comments was from the perspective of someone uninformed about the future of the land and the design steps taken to ensure unity with the additions.

Tomorrowland is being adjusted to fit the arrival of Tron. It's no TOT, where the land was built to fit the attraction, but it would appear steps are being taken to help preserve the cohesiveness of the area.

yensidtlaw1969

Exactly. Every single one of my comments was from the perspective of someone uninformed about the future of the land and the design steps taken to ensure unity with the additions.

Tomorrowland is being adjusted to fit the arrival of Tron. It's no TOT, where the land was built to fit the attraction, but it would appear steps are being taken to help preserve the cohesiveness of the area.
True, changes are happening . . . but I'm not sure the cosmetic changes coming to the land bring it far enough along to make sense of Tron as it is in Shanghai. It sounds like it's heading back towards the 70's iteration of the land, which was also not a natural fit for the undulating canopy that Tron brings with it. The ride itself could probably stand to meet the new location halfway.

I am personally still dubious of the hulking block showbuilding that sits behind the canopy, too. If that remains untouched from the original attraction it will be an absolute blight on the Magic Kingdom skyline. But hopefully work is underway to ensure these potential issues never see the light of day.

I will say, I am excited to ride and think it was prudent of them to put Tron in Tomorrowland rather than Epcot. That said, the way they're going about it does seem to raise a few questions. Indeed, it's not an automatic *perfect* fit.

trainplane3

True, changes are happening . . . but I'm not sure the cosmetic changes coming to the land bring it far enough along to make sense of Tron as it is in Shanghai. It sounds like it's heading back towards the 70's iteration of the land, which was also not a natural fit for the undulating canopy that Tron brings with it. The ride itself could probably stand to meet the new location halfway.

I am personally still dubious of the hulking block showbuilding that sits behind the canopy, too. If that remains untouched from the original attraction it will be an absolute blight on the Magic Kingdom skyline. But hopefully work is underway to ensure these potential issues never see the light of day.

I will say, I am excited to ride and think it was prudent of them to put Tron in Tomorrowland rather than Epcot. That said, the way they're going about it does seem to raise a few questions. Indeed, it's not an automatic *perfect* fit.
The show building does bother me a bit on a small level. I use this as my reference:

Now, since our TL is all level and doesn't have all the elevated walkway Shanghais TL has, it might work out better. But from that video, I'm surprised they didn't put another "amoeba bump" (maybe one set back to use some forced perspective?) to juuuuust fill in that gap where you can see the big blue box.

I do have a thing for Tron though. So while I can't wait for it, I feel like they should've done something else for MK. But since we're here, they should do something unique with the "amoeba" part of it. Blend it into that awesome 1970s TL instead of contrasting it.

yensidtlaw1969

The show building does bother me a bit on a small level. I use this as my reference:

Now, since our TL is all level and doesn't have all the elevated walkway Shanghais TL has, it might work out better. But from that video, I'm surprised they didn't put another "amoeba bump" (maybe one set back to use some forced perspective?) to juuuuust fill in that gap where you can see the big blue box.

I do have a thing for Tron though. So while I can't wait for it, I feel like they should've done something else for MK. But since we're here, they should do something unique with the "amoeba" part of it. Blend it into that awesome 1970s TL instead of contrasting it.

I concur, it just seems silly that nothing was done with that glaring box on such an otherwise cool looking (and expensive!) building. Tripping on the finish line.

If they're moving away from "The Future That Never Was", I would be fine with all of Tomorrowland going TRON in it's aesthetics. The choice to throw it back to 70's Tomorrowland is a little puzzling to me, and some of the aesthetics they've already rolled out seem questionable -- I know a lot of people love the new Carousel of Progress paint scheme, but I find it relatively unattractive, and whoever decided to repaint Rockettower Plaza in red and orange should have been fired from the project. Some of the other paint around the land is nice, but those two in particular are the biggest new statements so far and do nothing to make Tomorrowland a more friendly place to the look of Tron.

Still on the fence about the new Joffrey's.

JohnyKaz2078

A volcano rollercoaster with Moana theming maybe was considered for Adventureland in early 2017. It would have gone to the empty space behind the POC showbuilding in. This was scrapped because Disney had to choose between a hugely-expensive rollercoaster or an already tested one in another park that is also hugely popular. So they chose Tron. From that perspective I don't think anyone can blame them.

smile

Goodness . . . the Magic Kingdom was so VASTLY different from Disneyland when it opened. With the amount of money that was spent to avoid the suggestion that it was a mere cut and paste job . . . I certainly hope you're joking.

Just went down a list of opening day attractions at MK, and not a single one didn't see change from it's Disneyland original. Literally not one. Even Dumbo and the Teacups were redesigned in their aesthetics. How easy would it have been for a much smaller, much less rich 1970 Disney Company to just dust off plans from Disneyland? And they didn't do it once.

and from an age when the world was much 'larger', too.
craftsmanship with integrity right there, folks - it's obvious when it's made a point.... then again, maybe it's not ;)

then an idea came on a day in the right era that, when guided by balance sheets, it's not a sin to surrender control of quality to the guest as long as they don't know or care about the difference.
- thankfully for the brass, they generally don't and a slew of risky bets and "what can we get away with?" followed and appears now rather consistently.

especially when viewed with consumer product glasses, whenever a corner can be cut, it should be - without question. suppose we'll see if it ultimately matters.

lazyboy97o

Spatial organization and applied aesthetics are not the same. The land is not being wholly reorganized to fit in the new box and canopy, it is getting a walkway around back.

HMF

Frankly I would have preferred Tron in Epcot over GOTG. Of course in an ideal world, Tron would be built in Tomorrowland and GOTG wouldn't be built at all.

yensidtlaw1969

Frankly I would have preferred Tron in Epcot over GOTG. Of course in an ideal world, Tron would be built in Tomorrowland and GOTG wouldn't be built at all.
If given that choice I probably would have gone with what we're getting, but I completely agree that Guardians has absolutely no place in Epcot. The property should have gone to the Studios if it had to go anywhere.

WDW deserves an attraction like Tron, but I feel like the Tron attraction probably deserves slightly better than what it's getting in WDW. Hiding it behind Space Mountain seems weird, it would make more sense in the land to pave a path between Buzz and COP and build it back that way. Though they would of course HAVE to theme the building then, or risk killing the view of the park from the expensive Contemporary hotel rooms. I wonder if that's part of why they didn't do that - it sounded for a while like they were looking at building there.

Trying to position it to be "blocked" by Space Mountain doesn't strike as an elegant move, though. Let's pray they wise up and do something to make the showbuilding less of a brick. There isn't a single meaningful illusion-breaking showbuilding visible in any guest view from outside the MK, and this would be an enormous one to start with.

lazyboy97o

If given that choice I probably would have gone with what we're getting, but I completely agree that Guardians has absolutely no place in Epcot. The property should have gone to the Studios if it had to go anywhere.

WDW deserves an attraction like Tron, but I feel like the Tron attraction probably deserves slightly better than what it's getting in WDW. Hiding it behind Space Mountain seems weird, it would make more sense in the land to pave a path between Buzz and COP and build it back that way. Though they would of course HAVE to theme the building then, or risk killing the view of the park from the expensive Contemporary hotel rooms. I wonder if that's part of why they didn't do that - it sounded for a while like they were looking at building there.

Trying to position it to be "blocked" by Space Mountain doesn't strike as an elegant move, though. Let's pray they wise up and do something to make the showbuilding less of a brick. There isn't a single meaningful illusion-breaking showbuilding visible in any guest view from outside the MK, and this would be an enormous one to start with.
The space between Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and Carousel of Progress is a site that was considered way back when this would have been a co-financed project. This time around that space was going to be occupied by the Main Street Theater.

Bocabear

A volcano rollercoaster with Moana theming maybe was considered for Adventureland in early 2017. It would have gone to the empty space behind the POC showbuilding in. This was scrapped because Disney had to choose between a hugely-expensive rollercoaster or an already tested one in another park that is also hugely popular. So they chose Tron. From that perspective I don't think anyone can blame them.
Already tested? Both choices are hugely expensive, though I guerss they have a better idea of what they are getting into with Tron... Any coaster at Disney will be hugely popular...there are no gambles where that is concerned...There have also been Volcano blast coasters before...so it is not uncharted to have something like that... IMHO the park could use both....But also DHS, AK, and EPCOT need more attractions to even out the crowds...

JohnyKaz2078

Already tested? Both choices are hugely expensive, though I guerss they have a better idea of what they are getting into with Tron... Any coaster at Disney will be hugely popular...there are no gambles where that is concerned...There have also been Volcano blast coasters before...so it is not uncharted to have something like that... IMHO the park could use both....But also DHS, AK, and EPCOT need more attractions to even out the crowds...

I said that Tron was already a proven success in Shanghai and Disney also had a clear idea of what they could do with the ride. Building two hugely expensive rollercoasters in the same park at the same time isn't an ideal situation and with all of the other projects coming to WDW. A volcano rollercoaster in the other parks couldn't go in AK (Everest is already there) and HS (I don't think I must say anything here). The Japan pavilion in Epcot would be a good place due to having an expansion space in the park and already having tested such idea before with a Mt. Fuji rollercoaster that was ultimately cancelled (although I think they're building a new restaurant there).

Kman101

The park could absolutely use both.

rle4lunch

Honestly just glad there's something going on in all the parks at WDW. They're stagnation on developing projects and milking the nostalgia dry over the years and still raising prices is offputting to say the least. I'm sure they have a 100 year plan that they're going off of and it's the long game their playing, but damn, building 1 E ticket per decade is pure BS.

Incomudro

Vastly different?
We must have a different definition of vast.
Tweaked, updated, reimagined yes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom