News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Skibum1970

View attachment 687743
They have had a major attraction open every year since 2016 and will continue through 24

One thing I notice on Disney's timeline is the Frozen is basically a reskinning with some changes, MMRR reused an existing building, and Toy Story Land was really adding a coaster with minimal theming and a spinning ride.

On UNI's side, Bourne and Fallon used existing buildings and so will minions. I think that 2024 might be the rethemed KidZone although I could end up being way off. I'm not sure how much that they are doing.

One other key difference is the length of time to build Disney's rides to Universal's. I think that UNI tends to be 2-3 years whereas Disney is running in the 4-5 year build times. Part of that could be UNI's reliance on screens as opposed to full sets (ex. Kong which has some physical sets but mainly screens for the action sections) on some of their rides. For myself, the 4-5 year build times is what is excruciating when Disney starts building something. It is difficult to be patient knowing that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
One thing I notice on Disney's timeline is the Frozen is basically a reskinning with some changes, MMRR reused an existing building, and Toy Story Land was really adding a coaster with minimal theming and a spinning ride.

On UNI's side, Bourne and Fallon used existing buildings and so will minions. I think that 2024 might be the rethemed KidZone although I could end up being way off. I'm not sure how much that they are doing.

One other key difference is the length of time to build Disney's rides to Universal's. I think that UNI tends to be 2-3 years whereas Disney is running in the 4-5 year build times. Part of that could be UNI's reliance on screens as opposed to full sets (ex. Kong which has some physical sets but mainly screens for the action sections) on some of their rides. For myself, the 4-5 year build times is what is excruciating when Disney starts building something. It is difficult to be patient knowing that.
Bingo

Uni is gonna build an entirely new theme park in about the time it takes for Disney to build 1 attraction now

Disney’s costs to build anything are extremely out of hand as well

Touchdown

I actually think Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe is the worse offender.

Took 10 years to build from its technical announcement and nonsensically clones the site size restrictions of Tokyo in their new-fangled (white paper) park. But is forgiven because of the much more original other 4/5th of that park.
But it’s not, it’s going to have an additional ride/section (DK mine cart coaster.)

Goofyernmost

One thing to remember is that those times are the time between announcing it and opening it. Disney says early on, sometimes before the engineering has been worked out. Uni waits until they are actually starting construction before they announce an addition. The actual building time is probably the same. A lot of the time it has taken for Tron has been pandemic shutdown time (about a year, at least I would think)

Last edited:

doctornick

Not only is it not an issue, we should have domestically at least what's available overseas.
Clones in the US don't bother me one bit either.
The whole point of WDW was to bring to the east coast what was on the west coast.
Well, I think it’s nice for DLR and WDW to have some distinct attractions but duplicates of most main ones is fine. It is nice when the parks have some small differences between “clones” though to give them some uniqueness.

That said, I totally agree that they should actively be cloning stuff from the international parks to the US ones. There’s such small overlap between people who visit the international vs domestic parks that it should be irrelevant to the thought process of ride development. More specifically, I personally think it would make a lot of sense to tend to clone between DLR and DLP (given that WDW gets a lot of European travelers but less so in Cali) and the Asian parks would be good options to clone in WDW (which also works since WDW has more places to put stuff). Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates, Tokyo BatB - bring ‘em to Florida I say.

Disney Analyst

A big component is universal doesn’t announce things until they are much closer to opening. Disney announces projects very early in the process, which drags out the timeline even more.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tron will be a huge hit Regardless how long It took to build or that it's a copy, the vast majority of people going to the parks will love it.

I think that bothers some people on here lol

I see no problem with it except for the length of it but a similar criticism can be made for Rock'n'Roller Coaster and I don't think most guests complain about that one.

celluloid

I actually think Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe is the worse offender.

Took 10 years to build from its technical announcement and nonsensically clones the site size restrictions of Tokyo in their new-fangled (white paper) park. But is forgiven because of the much more original other 4/5th of that park.

Nah. I think you are off in ten year announcement. Was it not 2016 that just a partnership was announced between Nintendo and Universal Creative? Not ten years in any sense. The pandemic occured for it at the worst possible time in the parks infancy construction stages. It is a larger land than the already in place in the sense of a brand new attraction that is not present at the others.
And that is with the rest of of the park heavy under change and construction.

lazyboy97o

Nah. The pandemic occured for it at the worst possible time in the parks infancy construction stages. It is a larger land than the already in place in the sense of a brand new attraction that is not present at the others.
The pandemic only accounts for 1.5 of all of those years between Universal’s first announcement that they were working with Nintendo and Epic Universe opening with a nearly identical land as in Japan. There was a lot of waffling on what to do in Florida.

BrianLo

Nah. The pandemic occured for it at the worst possible time in the parks infancy construction stages. It is a larger land than the already in place in the sense of a brand new attraction that is not present at the others.

I personally don't care or am bothered by either projects timeframe whatsoever, just making a facetious point.

The land originally was aimed for the Studios in 2020 or 2021. That's what I'm referring to, it's quite a delayed project. The Pandemic is incidental since it was really bumped for their new park.

As @lazyboy97o mentioned the DK coaster was co-developed with Japan long ago and will open first in Japan in 2024. It's also a clone, technically. One that was originally meant to come to Florida first, but was still developed to fit Japan. Either way the site plans strictly adhere to the space limitations in Japan, which made more sense when it was slated for Kidzone, less so for EU.

Not a criticism of the company as Disney engaged in the same thing with SW:GE.

celluloid

The pandemic only accounts for 1.5 of all of those years between Universal’s first announcement that they were working with Nintendo and Epic Universe opening with a nearly identical land as in Japan. There was a lot of waffling on what to do in Florida.

People think that, but it was always Mario Specifically.

Regardless of all of that scuttle.(which would just make it more impressive that they settled.on things It has not been ten years, nor will it be ten years by the time it opens in 2024.

2016-2024 is right years from announcing partnership, not land announcement to opening in Epic. 8 years for an all new land. If you are giving the pandemic 1.5 years.

Theme park land in the middle of new resort area(not just theme park) in 6.5 years.

All while giving things in their two theme parks annually along the way.

The Big thing is I am not sure where the ten year claim came from. I get being facetious, but you did make a criticism of the company if you claim it is the worse offender clearly not when compared.

Last edited:

BrianLo

nor will it be ten years by the time it opens in 2024.

Epic Universe opens summer 2025 by the way. In theory in terms of that still being a ways out and subject to change.

There was a period where Zelda and Pokémon would have opened before Mario.

Interestingly, I think Pokemon concepts (desires) pre-date the 2015 partnership by like 3-4 years. Really not trying to run off this thread though. Nor am I attempting to troll that it took them 84 years to build Pokemon in the parks. 😂

wutisgood

It doesn't make Disney being an a-hole ok because Universal delayed a replacement area in favor of a land in an entire new park while they also opened a major expansion coaster during the pandemic.

Disney is making money on cutting capacity while universal is making money expanding it at this time. That is good for Disney in the short term but not sustainable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom