News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

Yeah, that's the issue with Slinky's design in general. They could have built Slinky on that footprint with a few modifications along with other things that would give TSL more to do.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would be a better example of something to build in that spot, because it's at least fully themed in all directions and I think it's less than 100,000 square feet.

With that said, they probably don't need a third coaster right next to TRON and Space Mountain.
Dueling 7DMTs?
How meta

UNCgolf

Electrifying the Speedway as a TRON Racers re-theme was in the cards according to insiders. It has been (indefinitely) shelved.

It can always be taken off the self...

I have a feeling this is dead because TRON isn't a big enough IP. I think the TRON coaster being next door is the only thing keeping it on life support, but I'd expect a retheme of the Speedway to be something other than TRON.

EeyoreFan#24

I have a feeling this is dead because TRON isn't a big enough IP. I think the TRON coaster being next door is the only thing keeping it on life support, but I'd expect a retheme of the Speedway to be something other than TRON.
I agree with you, I think the TRON tie in is dead.

My opinion is that Disney is keeping it on life support waiting to see where the electric car market goes. I don’t think it’s in a spot right now for a speedway sponser, but whenever their ready, it could be like what autopia was targeted to aid with the freeway system PR. Ultimately it comes down to Disney just limping it along and waiting for someone else to pay the renovation bill instead of doing something now. Again, just in my unsupported speculation.

J4546

I feel like a speedway redo wouldnt be that expensive (except its disney so of course it will be) I look at the ride Duel GP in Suzuka Japan as an example of what Id like to see the Speedway get replaced with. An on rail ride system that lets the user use oversteer/drift around the turns that can also spin 360 degrees as well. That would be so fun if Disney used this and tweaked it to really give the user control of the sliding and maybe even a 1 in the front 1 in the back layout just like Suzuka, person in front is in control of car but person in back has button they can push to prevent 360 degree spins for parents to not get sick

ImperfectPixie

I feel like a speedway redo wouldnt be that expensive (except its disney so of course it will be) I look at the ride Duel GP in Suzuka Japan as an example of what Id like to see the Speedway get replaced with. An on rail ride system that lets the user use oversteer/drift around the turns that can also spin 360 degrees as well. That would be so fun if Disney used this and tweaked it to really give the user control of the sliding and maybe even a 1 in the front 1 in the back layout just like Suzuka, person in front is in control of car but person in back has button they can push to prevent 360 degree spins for parents to not get sick
It blows my mind that Disney's gokarts have rails. K1 Racing lets 5-year-old kids drive their electric gokarts.

Poseidon Quest

Electrifying the Speedway as a TRON Racers re-theme was in the cards according to insiders. It has been (indefinitely) shelved.

It can always be taken off the self...

It sounds interesting in concept, but probably cheap in execution. What would it do? Have cars occasionally go through tunnels with digital grids painted inside with perhaps a speaker or two?

I can't envision something like that working without an indoor showbuilding.

celluloid

It sounds interesting in concept, but probably cheap in execution. What would it do? Have cars occasionally go through tunnels with digital grids painted inside with perhaps a speaker or two?

I can't envision something like that working without an indoor showbuilding.

It could have used rainbow tunnel like effects where each car going has a different color synched.

I went through a phase where I disliked Speedway, and it should like most of Magic Kingdom and TDO, being taken care of better. But the ride concept itself still has its place and scores well on surveys vs its cost because it is a transformative ride and a wish fulfillment ride of those who want to drive but can't.

UNCgolf

I went through a phase where I disliked Speedway, and it should like most of Magic Kingdom and TDO, being taken care of better. But the ride concept itself still has its place and scores well on surveys vs its cost because it is a transformative ride and a wish fulfillment ride of those who want to drive but can't.

My issue with this is that there are go-kart tracks for kids all over the country (and most of them are better than the Tomorrowland Speedway). It's not like it's something unique to Disney that people can't do at home.

Incomudro

Fun fact: Despite being the closest guest facility in Tomorrowland, the distance from the exit of Space Mountain entrance of the Tron building (~955') is nearly the same as the distance from the Partners Statue to the Space Mountain entrance (~980').

View attachment 618496

View attachment 618497

As it currently stands, Space Mountain feels like an isolated outpost at the back of the land, with expansive open spaces between it and the nearest building of substance. Physically, it's barely integrated into Tomorrowland, and sticks out of the park itself like a bulbous growth. It's not near anything, yet is closer to so many other attractions, kiosks, shops, restrooms, and other facilities than Tron will be.

The walk between the Partners Statue and Space Mountain has several "zones" with distinct feelings that help make the journey seem shorter than it is, with constantly changing scenery. First you pass through the open pavement of the hub itself, then across the bridge over the hub moat, then through the heart of Tomorrowland past all the other attractions, and finally through another wide open area to get to the farthest reaches of the east side of the park, right by the railroad tracks.

You'll then have to walk an equivalent distance from there to get to the Tron building entrance, with only a locker building to break up the trip. Are there even going to be restrooms nearby?

And there are folks still claiming that this wasn't just a hastily-conceived copy-and-paste project (canopy facing the side of Space Mountain, and all)?
I believe that people of the type who want to ride Tron will quite happily and easily traverse that distance to this beautiful, lighted, structure of kinetic movement with nary a thought of the distance or proximity to a restroom.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
TRON Light Racers almost got presented at D23 2017...

t will no longer be the "Speedway." Thankfully that thematic disaster is being eliminated.

Edit: My source called it the "Tronway."

The end result will be something quite akin to....

1643938838116.png

The plan for Speedway is a "Light Racers" overlay.

Looks like the "Tronway" got cut.
At least for this presentation. Lots of time before 2021.

J4546

if they spent some major money and made thespeedway a tronish experience with a huge basement level that was super cool looking so even during the day youd get that pitch black tron enviroment....that would be awesome and would also double the length of the track, but would probably cost 100s of millions of dollars

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The size of the footprint isn't the problem. It's that basically that whole area is now customer facing because of TRON and pathways on all sides. Even the side facing Storybook Circus would be visible if there was an actual structure there.

That doesn't prevent them from building there (as I said), but it does cause logistical issues. Does current Disney really want to build something that needs full theming on all four sides? Previously, the TRON plot could have all been show buildings/backstage that customers wouldn't see.
Have you been to Epcot lately?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom