News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

sedati

And yet never has there been an issue with someone falling off the ride. BTMRR consists almost entirely of positive and lateral g-forces with essentially no negative g-forces. The deep bucket seats keep you plenty safe on the ride (even if you rode with no restraint at all). The restraint isn't there to prevent you from getting out of the ride, it's just there to discourage you from getting out of the ride. The single bar restraint helps with load/unload times substantially. Any change to individual lap bars would significantly decrease throughput of the ride.
Thankfully there's been no accidents like that, but I can't be the only one who has seen what I described whipping out of the load station and thought, "oh, no..."

They may not fall (or jump) out, but this leaves small children plenty of room to jostle, bounce, slide, and bang about quite freely. I'm certain many a parent has held on to more than their hats and glasses while their little one rollicked about at 40mph on the wildest ride in outdated safety.

celluloid

Thankfully there's been no accidents like that, but I can't be the only one who has seen what I described whipping out of the load station and thought, "oh, no..."

They may not fall (or jump) out, but this leaves small children plenty of room to jostle, bounce, slide, and bang about quite freely. I'm certain many a parent has held on to more than their hats and glasses while their little one rollicked about at 40mph on the wildest ride in outdated safety.

Ther eis a reason for the 40 inch height requirement and the padded sides of the seats.

sedati

Ther eis a reason for the 40 inch height requirement and the padded sides of the seats.
The 40 inch requirement becomes moot because this is a SHARED SEAT/RESTRAINT. What modern thrill ride allows for a min/max arrangement and can claim to do so safely? Trying to keep this focused on Tron, imagine a rider seated with the restraint at the maximum setting. Now sit a scrawny four-footer next to them, but keep the same configuration. Should be okay, right? There is some padding I believe.

celluloid

The 40 inch requirement becomes moot because this is a SHARED SEAT/RESTRAINT. What modern thrill ride allows for a min/max arrangement and can claim to do so safely? Trying to keep this focused on Tron, imagine a rider seated with the restraint at the maximum setting. Now sit a scrawny four-footer next to them, but keep the same configuration. Should be okay, right? There is some padding I believe.
40 inch height requirement is not moot as it still factors into where parts of the seat will fall in range.

The ride dynamic matters. Not sure why you want to compare.
I read what you wrote. No need for caps that sound angry for emphasis. I am a fan of bold myself. You said you can't be the only one, but you seem to be the only one here.
Define your take on modern.
Define your terms for thrill ride. Many levels and subjective.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

You really don’t want Thunder to be any fun at all, huh?

Touchdown

All Roller Coaster Restraints are required, by industry standards, to be able to restrain anyone, irregardless of size, at all “locked” positions. The little scamp cannot free himself from the restraint to leave the cab even if it’s in the biggest locked position. It is in fact the reason some high intensity coasters have more restrictive safety variances despite the fact that the restraint could be more accommodating. Doing that would force an increase in minimum height.

I also find all this high and mighty talk about losing weight a bit rediculous for this ride in particular because the primary restraint is based on the size of your calf. Short of people with serious health conditions or a rare genetic disorder that have leg edema issues it’s going to be near impossible to lose weight in that area of your body. The fat content of your calf is pretty small, it’s mostly muscle. Taller individuals who are going to need to bend their knee into a more acute angle and having to extend their ankle on the tire (flexing the calf muscles making them larger in girth and less elastic) are going to have the biggest issue.

Last edited:

Incomudro

All Roller Coaster Restraints are required, by industry standards, to be able to restrain anyone, irregardless of size, at all “locked” positions. The little scamp cannot free himself from the restraint to leave the cab even if it’s in the biggest locked position. It is in fact the reason some high intensity coasters have more restrictive safety variances despite the fact that the restraint could be more accommodating. Doing that would force an increase in minimum height.

I also find all this high and mighty talk about losing weight a bit rediculous for this ride in particular because the primary restraint is based on the size of your calf. Short of people with serious health conditions or a rare genetic disorder that have leg edema issues it’s going to be near impossible to lose weight in that area of your body. The fat content of your calf is pretty small, it’s mostly muscle. Taller individuals who are going to need to bend their knee into a more acute angle and having to flex their ankle on the tire (flexing the calf muscles making them larger in girth and less elastic) are going to have the biggest issue.
Size - and fat content isn't only about the calf portion of the restraint, though surely people who gain large amounts of weight also get much larger calves. Larger calf sizes are clearly evident with weight gain.
It's about general comfort, and ease of movement.

FigmentFan82

Or maybe da just holds onto the kid like a normal sane person would. Stop creating problems where there are none. I rode Big Thunder with my daughter last year, you could barely see her head from the seat behind, and guess what, I held her so she would go flopping around in the seat.

This willful ignorance is tiresome

gorillaball

For fun round numbers let's say BTMRR has 2000/hr capacity... and let's say it runs 12 hours per day. That's just under 9 million riders per year. It's been open for 43 years. At some point you have to put more stock in the data than on the human nature fear of seeing a little tike ride out of the station when you say the safety restraints are outdated (over 350 million test cases, and this is just one park).

As a parent I never did hold my kids tightly on BTMRR for fear of them being jettisoned into the Rivers of America. Now, I did have many rides on Space where my hands were firmly on their shoulders :)

Hawg G

For fun round numbers let's say BTMRR has 2000/hr capacity... and let's say it runs 12 hours per day. That's just under 9 million riders per year. It's been open for 43 years. At some point you have to put more stock in the data than on the human nature fear of seeing a little tike ride out of the station when you say the safety restraints are outdated (over 350 million test cases, and this is just one park).

As a parent I never did hold my kids tightly on BTMRR for fear of them being jettisoned into the Rivers of America. Now, I did have many rides on Space where my hands were firmly on their shoulders :)
Yeah how many people have died in car wrecks on their way to WDW in that 43 years.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Did this today and was pretty blown away by it, it is a shorter ride like Mine Train but worth waiting in line for at least. The new paths / open space is really great too and offers new views of the park. Also, there was an unfinished section at the bottom of the restroom building that seemed like a gift shop space, or will / could be something extra not announced yet.

ToTBellHop

Did this today and was pretty blown away by it, it is a shorter ride like Mine Train but worth waiting in line for at least. The new paths / open space is really great too and offers new views of the park. Also, there was an unfinished section at the bottom of the restroom building that seemed like a gift shop space, or will / could be something extra not announced yet.
That’s Sam Flynn’s new sustainable co-op wine cellar.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The only restraint system at WDW that gives me concern is the one on BTMRR. A single lap bar shared by a Pooh-sized parent and a little waif who just hit the height requirement is basically no restraint at all. Split bars have become the norm and that ride needs a retrofit.
That’s me and my son every time we ride. There’s zero concern after the first ride about his safety. He’s not going anywhere.

No Name

I’m not sure how well the colorless canopy works. This is the best photo I could find, and it looks classier but also cheaper. Like a very boujee circus plopped down.

1676155075489.jpeg

Compared to Shanghai:

1676153152871.jpeg

Not a huge deal but an interesting decision I’ve heard surprisingly little discussion about. It would’ve perfectly matched the repainted rocks at the land’s entrance. Also, it doesn’t help that MK’s has some unfortunate angles and design decisions like no themed footers(?).

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I’m not sure how well the colorless canopy works. This is the best photo I could find, and it looks classier but also cheaper. Like a very boujee circus plopped down.

View attachment 697844

Compared to Shanghai (that canopy has themed footers!)

View attachment 697835

Not a huge deal but an interesting decision I’ve heard surprisingly little discussion about. That trim would’ve perfectly matched the repainted rocks at the land’s entrance.
I agree - I know the color was changed because of Space Mountain, but it feels more like it appeases Space Mountain than complements it. It's a little too "matchy-matchy".

Those rides are meant to have two distinct personalities, and I think that little bit of blue would have helped TRON retain its identity without clashing with Tomorrowland. The Canopy architecture doesn't particularly look like anything out of the world of TRON, and making it pure white only takes it further away from that aesthetic.

No Name

I just watched a daytime POV of each and encourage you all to do the same. From that perspective I think it’s quite obvious which version works better. Excited to see for myself in person though.

Incomudro

View attachment 697844

Compared to Shanghai:

View attachment 697835

Not a huge deal but an interesting decision I’ve heard surprisingly little discussion about. It would’ve perfectly matched the repainted rocks at the land’s entrance. Also, it doesn’t help that MK’s has some unfortunate angles and design decisions like no themed footers(?).
I prefer the blue trim, and wish "ours" had it.

Disstevefan1

I am watching videos of TRON and this attraction looks FANTASTIC! At night the canopy looks FANTASTIC! This attraction could show a light show like Space Ship Earth does.

I am critical of WDW when they do stuff I don’t like but when they do stuff I like I will say that too and this attraction is a winner in my book! When I first saw the TRON in China I liked what I saw but knew I would never get to ride it and when it was announced it was coming to WDW it was a dream come true for me.

Now that’s it’s open and I am seeing it on video and an feeing the same excitement like I did in the old days of WDW!

I am looking forward to riding this some day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom