News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

Space Mountain is a landmark and actually architecturally important. The construction alone for the time that it was built was kind of epic. I would certainly hope they would not change it or shutter it when there is no real need to do so. It would certainly be nice to see it get a full and complete restoration and plussing though.

erasure fan1

This will be a fun attraction. It's a nice addition to WDW (although it's placement next to Space Mountain is odd), will be beautiful at night, and will be a blast to ride.
Groundbreaking? I don't see that.
I agree. I'm looking forward to it for sure. It is 100% exactly what I would expect from modern Disney. Play it safe with a ride that people seem to like. That seems fun, has a cool ride vehicle but really doesn't push any new boundaries. Is it my most anticipated ride to try? No, but I'm guessing my daughter, son and I are going to have a great time trying it.

Last edited:

celluloid

A ride that already exists in Shanghai and a ride that was designed and built from scratch is the exact same thing to 99.9999% of Magic Kingdom attendees on any given day.

Not sure why you quoted me. My post had less to do with the ride being a clone and more the fact that this is the first major ground up ride at the most visited park in the world in nearly a decade. Clone or not. They are slacking.

And with that logic, it makes it even worse, because if going to many parts of Asia is even as close to that as the Shanghai comparison, we should be getting way better than something like Tron in The Magic Kingdom after 8 years of nothing new. We should be getting something on par with what Disney Sea has done, or even EPCOT of the 80s in terms of scale and scope by now. Not another coaster in the dark.

A fun ride can still be not as good as what SHOULD be being built.

Incomudro

Debbie Downers aside, I'm excited. It's a fun ride. Not going to blow everyone away but at night will be a blast and most people will love it. The launch is pretty cool by Disney standards. Gives it enough thrill while still keeping it within reasonable MK thrills standards.
Plus it's beautiful, and lends a sense of movement to Tomorrowland.

CampbellzSoup

Do you think we’ll have a photo pass opportunity like this?? Would be glorious
DC356B58-EA60-490F-A791-71C171C47A68.jpeg

mysto

Play it safe with a ride that people seem to like.
This is the way I see it. They know what it will cost and how it will be received, even how much downtime to expect. Yes technically a cut and pasted clone of a short pretty ride, but still worthwhile for the fans. Don't underestimate the aesthetic, the positive addition to the atmosphere so many here talk about so often.

Yes we want something new and different! Lots of new rides that are all innovative. But there are going to be big expensive boondoggles along the way, rides that break down a lot. Guardians seems to have very few issues, Rise not so much, both are new-ish concepts. There's nothing wrong with just building a ride sometimes.

ToTBellHop

Way more exciting than a MMRR replica available in the same continent
How did cramped DL get SWGE and MMRR without replacing anything other than a goat while “blessing of size” WDW was unable to build anything new at DHS without replacing an existing attraction? What use is the blessing of size if you don’t use it? WDW is a poor man’s Ron Jeremy.

celluloid

Laurels and reputation of the giants it stood on.

Also Mario Kart with Nintendoland was coming in to Universal Studios Hollywood and it was the best they could think to fit something new ground up in on a short time frame.

It is just sad that WDW has become what it is recently.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How did cramped DL get SWGE and MMRR without replacing anything other than a goat while “blessing of size” WDW was unable to build anything new at DHS without replacing an existing attraction? What use is the blessing of size if you don’t use it?
Well, you're still replacing the goat!

DHS replaced a barely used flex theater, fake streets, and underutilized half-studio. It then killed two attractions to then give:
  • 4 new rides (one of which is regarded as a super-E)
  • 2 new lands
  • 50% extra capacity for TSM
A lot of back of house was taken over for that upgrade from 6 rides to 9. So the footprint of DHS was increased significantly.

The Hollywood Blvd flex space is sorta new. That increased the parks footprint, and it now has a permanent attraction.

While not in use for the general park guest, the Starcruiser increases the park footprint.

Also, Ratatouille and TRON made use of BoH or unused land to increase the parks' footprint without replacing any ride or attraction.

And Cosmic Rewind also increased the park's footprint with the BBB to turn a sleepy ride into a really good coaster with impressive length.

No to mention extra EPCOT footprint created to increase Soarin''s capacity by 50%.

If they eventually greenlight Mary Poppins, then that will be a new ride that doesn't replace an existing attraction.

The Blue Sky shown at D23 targets a lot of unused land.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Aren't there websites dedicated to fans of non-Disney theme parks?
At least in the case of Dollywood, I was not able to find any such fan web sites. The only active discussion platforms I found are on fan-created groups on FaceBook.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom