News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TQQQ

There may be something wrong with you.
What? You are saying that pirates Florida is better than Pirates Shanghai and you think there’s something wrong with him? Have you been on pirates Shanghai? Because I have and Florida is like playing Atari pong compared to Shanghai’s like grand theft auto.

Let’s get something clear, a better ride is a better ride, no matter where it is.

UNCgolf

What? You are saying that pirates Shanghai is better than Pirates Florida and you think there’s something wrong with him? Have you been on pirates Shanghai? Because I have and Florida is like playing Atari pong compared to Shanghai’s like grand theft auto.

Let’s get something clear, a better ride is a better ride, no matter where it is.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with him for liking Shanghai Pirates more. That's fine.

But it's not an objectively better attraction. Florida Pirates is better than Shanghai Pirates to me (and I'm apparently not the only one). Shanghai Pirates could have been fantastic but it suffers from stopping to watch videos. That's not why I ride theme park attractions -- you shouldn't be stopping during the ride to watch a movie play on a screen (there are some exceptions, but mainly attractions where the whole experience is a video isn't really doable in any other way, like Flight of Passage -- and I still generally like those less than other attractions); I can do that at home. Video/projections that are interspersed with other things can work very well, but Shanghai Pirates has a couple of moments where it's literally just watching a video.

It's still a quality attraction, but that really detracts from it.

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

I’m sure most of us agree with the actual point. It’s probably just using the worst pirates out of all of them to prove your point. Shanghai’s is way better than Florida’s but DL & Paris have something unique to compete with. All that room and they still made it a cliff notes version in Florida. It’s honestly the prime candidate out of the three to get the Shanghai treatment.

But back to Tron, even though it’s a clone the videos still create hype & it is making me excited.

IMDREW

I'm not saying there's something wrong with him for liking Shanghai Pirates more. That's fine.

But it's not an objectively better attraction. Florida Pirates is better than Shanghai Pirates to me (and I'm apparently not the only one). Shanghai Pirates could have been fantastic but it suffers from stopping to watch videos. That's not why I ride theme park attractions -- you shouldn't be stopping during the ride to watch a movie play on a screen (there are some exceptions, but mainly attractions where the whole experience is a video isn't really doable in any other way, like Flight of Passage -- and I still generally like those less than other attractions); I can do that at home. Video/projections that are interspersed with other things can work very well, but Shanghai Pirates has a couple of moments where it's literally just watching a video.

It's still a quality attraction, but that really detracts from it.
I take it you have never been on it? Totally fine not to like Shanghais pirates of course, but that ride does not stop in front of screens like say ratatouille does. Its always moving, be it forwards, backwards or sidewards. Besides that it also has moments of speeding up and slowing down. So to say it just stops in front of a screen is inacurate. Its actually quite thrilling.

Bocabear

I take it you have never been on it? Totally fine not to like Shanghais pirates of course, but that ride does not stop in front of screens like say ratatouille does. Its always moving, be it forwards, backwards or sidewards. Besides that it also has moments of speeding up and slowing down. So to say it just stops in front of a screen is inacurate. Its actually quite thrilling.
This~! It never stops moving, and the screens are beautifully integrated into the sets... the scale is mammoth. No video of this attraction can really do it justice. It is epic and huge and fast-paced. You want to ride it again and again to catch things you missed the first time.
And seriously...the WDW version of Pirates is the worst one they ever built... Go see the Paris version or the Disneyland original... both are better quality rides than the WDW version of Pirates.

TQQQ

This~! It never stops moving, and the screens are beautifully integrated into the sets... the scale is mammoth. No video of this attraction can really do it justice. It is epic and huge and fast-paced. You want to ride it again and again to catch things you missed the first time.
And seriously...the WDW version of Pirates is the worst one they ever built... Go see the Paris version or the Disneyland original... both are better quality rides than the WDW version of Pirates.
If the Shanghai version was in FLA, it would be the number one ride there, even ahead of Tron

TalkToEthan

. Shanghai Pirates could have been fantastic but it suffers from stopping to watch videos. That's not why I ride theme park attractions

Once a ride commits that high level felony it’s extremely hard to atone for that shortcoming.

Designers who create movie watching scenes on rides have committed a theme park unforgivable sin.

I’m talking to you, too, Rat, and Gringotts. There are of course other high level offenders.

UNCgolf

Saying it stops was essentially a figure of speech that I shouldn't have used. The fact that you're watching a movie on a screen at all is the problem -- if you're moving during it that doesn't really help. It's the same reason I don't think Forbidden Journey is an especially good ride.

Again, I'm not saying Shanghai Pirates is bad. I would happily see the ride system at WDW. But I don't think it's as good as Florida's Pirates, much less the DL or Paris versions. I don't get why people are unable to accept that not everyone thinks Shanghai Pirates is an absolute masterpiece. It's fine if you love it but that doesn't make it objectively so great that anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Regardless, this thread is supposed to be about TRON and this is way off-topic so I'll leave it at that!

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Once a ride commits that high level felony it’s extremely hard to atone for that shortcoming.

Designers who create movie watching scenes on rides have committed a theme park unforgivable sin.

I’m talking to you, too, Rat, and Gringotts. There are of course other high level offenders.
But maybe it doesn't???

Saying it stops was essentially a figure of speech that I shouldn't have used.
You have never been on it like this poster amiright?

eddie104

Saying it stops was essentially a figure of speech that I shouldn't have used. The fact that you're watching a movie on a screen at all is the problem -- if you're moving during it that doesn't really help. It's the same reason I don't think Forbidden Journey is an especially good ride.

Again, I'm not saying Shanghai Pirates is bad. I would happily see the ride system at WDW. But I don't think it's as good as Florida's Pirates, much less the DL or Paris versions. I don't get why people are unable to accept that not everyone thinks Shanghai Pirates is an absolute masterpiece. It's fine if you love it but that doesn't make it objectively so great that anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Regardless, this thread is supposed to be about TRON and this is way off-topic so I'll leave it at that!
Why this even turned into a Pirates discussion is beyond me. Also Shanghai Pirates was built relatively recent versus the MK version constructed in the 70s.

I would hope technology has come far enough for Dis to create something truly impressive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom