News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

EricsBiscuit

That's arguably true, but Space Mountain also doesn't have a bunch of lighting effects etc. intended to attract attention and I don't believe it was ever intended to be Tomorrowland's centerpiece.

TRON, on the other hand, was designed as the focal centerpiece in Shanghai, which is why cloning it and then just sticking it in a corner feels like such a bizarre decision.
Space Mountain has a beautiful lighting package and couldn’t be any more noticeable.

celluloid

Space Mountain has a beautiful lighting package and couldn’t be any more noticeable.

For sure. And to add to this it is the only iconography of the castle and some of Main Street USA that is really visible from outside the berm of the park intentionally as you ride the Transporation towards The Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It does have a nice lighting package, but I believe it's all external lighting as opposed to something built into the structure. TRON's looks like the goal is to attract you to the building whereas Space Mountain's is just to look nice, or at least that's how they appear to me.

Absolutely. If it wasn’t intended as TL’s centerpiece, then I don’t know what was.

I meant it wasn't intended as Tomorrowland's centerpiece when the land was built/designed, because it didn't exist yet -- the rocket filled that purpose when the land opened. Shanghai's Tomorrowland was built around TRON and the design of TRON reflects that.

nickys

Premium Member
Well said!

MK is in desperate need of a land-sized expansion (or two), both for capacity/crowd-flow and because MK is the park that will for the foreseeable future be typecast by the public as Disney's flagship (and thus should be top-notch/cutting-edge to hold its own against Epic Universe).

Tron makes the Storybook Circus / Speedway area more difficult to develop, but not impossible. They can get creative with rock work, etc. The Fantasy Springs area at TDS offers some illustrations of what can be creatively accomplished in a weirdly-shaped space with various sightline issues... and hey, the theme fits, too...

Some areas west of Adventureland, and across the top of Rivers of America à la Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, are also serious contenders for being almost-as-good expansion plots.

So, there's a lot of opportunity still, but, to your point, Disney sure does shoot itself in the foot by sacrificing the long-term in favor of easy short-term development...
There was a discussion about the potential expansion areas in MK at some point. I remember @marni1971 posting drawings of where things could go and what would fit. Not sure if it was earlier in this thread or somewhere else though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was a discussion about the potential expansion areas in MK at some point. I remember @marni1971 posting drawings of where things could go and what would fit. Not sure if it was earlier in this thread or somewhere else though.
North and South of TRON, which both currently have a detention pond, which would have to be moved, if allowed by the South Florida Water Management District. And, of course, where the Main Street theater was going to go.

And the big expanse of land wasted on gas powered go-karts.

But as always... The best way to address overcrowding at MK is by expanding the footprint of the rides of the other three parks and give them all excellent nighttime shows.

DisneyfanMA

Original rumors pointed to next Spring, but it seems as though Disney is hustling to (allegedly) get it done by the end of the year.

I'm going in second week of November and now have my hopes being raised that this may well be open by then. That's probably the longest of long shots, but sometime in Nov/Dec now seems POSSIBLE if they're testing the ride out already.

Do they like to time huge announcements/ride openings for certain times of the year? I assume we'll know well ahead of the actual opening. I'd say my chances to ride are now 25% having been less than 10% before things seems to have progressed. If there are no announcements of an opening by end of summer time then I'll assume its just not going to happen this trip.

Gran Fiesta

I'm going in second week of November and now have my hopes being raised that this may well be open by then. That's probably the longest of long shots, but sometime in Nov/Dec now seems POSSIBLE if they're testing the ride out already.

Do they like to time huge announcements/ride openings for certain times of the year? I assume we'll know well ahead of the actual opening. I'd say my chances to ride are now 25% having been less than 10% before things seems to have progressed. If there are no announcements of an opening by end of summer time then I'll assume its just not going to happen this trip.
I'm in the same boat, I'm going the first week of December and I really hope it is open in time for my trip which seems very possible now with the lightning lane option now for them to open faster to make more money. But who knows honestly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The four towers have been removed from the Tomorrowland Light and Power Co. building.

00203EA8-9104-42CD-8F7A-9365039BF5D4.jpeg
31CBDBA9-F84D-4FB0-B7D3-44DC7CB4A24B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom