News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

HMF

Carousel theater/Innoventions/Launch Bay and probably spill a little over into Autopia.
I have plans for that space but I guess my idea could work in either Star Tours or Buzz buildings and my idea will never happen as i envision it anyway.

doctornick

What's really gonna sting is when Universal opens their new Dueling Dragons replacement coaster. From what they've said about it, which is not a whole lot, is it could be a game changer within these immersive, themed coasters that's being discussed here. They don't even really need to one up their own Mummy and it already has Guardians beat, from what little we know of it.

There was a god bit of hype surrounding Gringotts and how it was going to be game changing with all new tech... the end result IMHO wasn't anything special. I hope the new ride that gets built at IoA is amazing, but I'll wait and see how it ends up before pre-judging. Same goes with the GotG coaster for that matter.

At least -- to bring this on topic -- with Tron we have a good idea of what the execution will be like since we have Shanghai

doctornick

The last thing the MK currently needs is a major draw. It needs capacity (since FP+ didn't do the job it was sold as)

I understand and respect that, but I would agree with others that MK needed a new E-ticket for the 50th and Tron is a reasonable option. Any new coaster is going to draw crowds, of course, but using that theme and style ride -- which will exclude a number of riders both due to height restrictions and girth -- won't draw as many as would other options. And the other parks will all have some relatively newish stuff to spread out crowds.

Besides which, I think we have to give credit that the Main St theater is exactly what MK needs in terms of attraction capacity and is even in a perfect location to help spread out guests. It's a pretty nice counter balance to Tron.

lazyboy97o

It's a clone though. I would have expected them to at least have a more firm idea what they are doing like Gotg.
They know what they are doing, but that doesn't mean there is still not a good amount of work required. Everything needs to be adapted to Florida. I wrote the follow earlier this year in regards to Ratatouille, but the same concept applies to this attraction.
Disney's feasibility/approval process happens fairly early in the design process. It is after Blue Sky and Concept Design, leaving Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documentation to occur afterwards. While something like the Rattouille attraction would have most of its design intent already settled, you cannot simply grab blueprints for a building in France and hand them to a contractor in Florida. There are lots of technical details that will have to be reviewed and redesigned by architects and engineers licensed in Florida. Every little thing has to reviewed to ensure that it is in compliance with the EPCOT Building Code. The back wall of the showbuilding in France may not meet EPCOT's wind load requirements. Walls designed to be built with standard European metric material dimensions may have to be redesigned for American imperial dimensions. Doors checked for egress size and accessibility. The slope of roofs. Electrical wiring needs to be designed for American loads. HVAC needs to be designed for Florida's very different climate. Lots of little things that all go into something that looks the same.

A great example of this is the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney's California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios Park. If you look at construction photos of the two, you will see that, despite having the same outward appearance, they are completely different structural systems.

azox

Since not much is going on with Tron update, I figured I would post some tron "concept art" for the new speedway that I saw on TeeRepublic that made me smile. ;)

1750503_1.jpg

Absimilliard

I just returned from Shanghai and I rode Tron a few times on my visit to the park last week.

My initial impressions about it? Very impressive and I can imagine it will draw quite a crowd in Florida when the trains launch outside. The canopy and outdoor plaza will be an amazing help in the summer when it rains at the Magic Kingdom.

The waiting line in Shanghai was fine and I liked how they really made the launch a focal point from both Fast Pass and stand-by queues. The station area is HUGE! Nice Star Tours vibe with the large screen that shows the opposite team for the game we will take part in.

I was affraid that at 6'3, 280 lbs, I was not going to fit on the regular Lightcycles. I was fine, but you really need to place your legs properly in the stirrup thing. Else, the metal bars that blocks the legs will hurt your calfs. The back rest was fine for me even with a thicker chest. Vekoma and WDI will need to look at how to modify for the larger guests (like me) that go to WDW while still keeping it fine for smaller guests.

They have two trains out of seven equipped with the TAV in Shanghai. The TAV is that car that replace the regular lightcycles with a regular car with bars similar to Everest. The ride itself is quite advanced as the operators are advised in advance that the next train has a TAV and thus, they can load two people who need it in row 7 that time. Will WDW equip all the trains with the TAV or go with two?

The ride itself was amazing. All that I was expecting and even more. The launch is quite forceful and even has a second "kick" near the end. The very vulnerable position amplifies all the forces and to be honest, the short ride length is the most I feel the average Disney guest can tolerate.

How does it rank compared to the other Disney coasters? Now that Dueling Dragons is gone and comparing it to the rest, minus Gold Fish Coaster (Until Joel Manby is fired, I will not ride Mako and will call it that!), Tron is at the top of the list in Orlando.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Was there any doubt?
I guess the only doubt is if this thing is scheduled for a 2021 opening, why are they starting now? Does it really take 3 plus years for this to build from start to finish? And please correct me if I am incorrect, I am by no means an engineer/imagineer or in construction in any shape or form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom