News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jt04

I think I've sort of just become numb to what they do anymore so I don't let any of it really bother me. I kind of expect to be let down by the decisions they make for WDW. Not everything has been, some have been nice surprises (if we get characters in Epcot, Rat is a decent fit, I'll have fun on Tron and the two TSL rides, SW will probably be a home run, Pandora was visually well done and FOP was fantastic, Happily Ever After really surprised me, Festival of Fantasy is a nice updated parade ...) but hearing about the lackluster Guardians plans and the only E-Ticket MK gets is another coaster is a bit of a let down (but the MK getting a theater is a nice surprise). Losing GMR was a huge let down but I had plenty of time to numb myself towards it ... I fully expected them to go years without a new night parade ...

MK 2.0 can only practically happen after DAK 2.0, DHS 2.0 and Epcot 2.0.

The only reason we are getting Tron is because the decision makers wanted an E Ticket for the 50th.

Kman101

I actually do agree that the other parks need investments more. DHA truly needs even more than they're getting. AK is in a good place but would benefit from a couple of dark rides. MK needs more capacity. Adventureland and Frontierland are long overdue for an expansion (and I'd love nothing more than to see the Carpets in the middle of Adventureland be moved or gone, even though I don't dislike them, it would help to have that open space again, like removing the tombstones in front of Spaceship Earth) but I get why they chose Tomorrowland first and I'm not unhappy about TRON but it wasn't what they *needed*.

Amidala

Disregarding the IP for a moment and focusing on the type of ride... it kinda makes sense to make a more thrilling launch coaster in Epcot. WDW's longest lines have almost always been the coasters (and Peter Pan). And the one park without a coaster is Epcot. Now, should it be a special coaster with scenes and slow downs like a ramped up Gringott's, 7D, or Mummy? Sure. But, I can't begrudge the decision to put a coaster in Epcot when you look at the guests' obvious desire to ride them.

I kind of agree! I'm resistant to the IP but that aside, I don't begrudge the addition of a coaster @ Epcot...I'm only leery because based on what insiders have said, it seems like such a "done before" concept, like a GOTG overlay of RnR. Obviously I could be proven completely wrong (& I hope to be) but I was disappointed to hear that there will be no on-ride AAs or screens. Even something like EE (where there's one show-stopping AA on the ride and nothing else) would have had me thrilled. I'm fine w/ coasters at the parks (and really enjoy them) but just think in 2017, Disney coasters could achieve a really incredible level of immersion that 7DMT only hinted at.

I think my feelings on this were also influenced by the Tron coaster. Still think it looks like a lot of fun and at least visually unique, but the announcement of two coasters w/o on-ride theming just feels a little like wasted potential.

Goob

What's really gonna sting is when Universal opens their new Dueling Dragons replacement coaster. From what they've said about it, which is not a whole lot, is it could be a game changer within these immersive, themed coasters that's being discussed here. They don't even really need to one up their own Mummy and it already has Guardians beat, from what little we know of it.

HMF

Disregarding the IP for a moment and focusing on the type of ride... it kinda makes sense to make a more thrilling launch coaster in Epcot. WDW's longest lines have almost always been the coasters (and Peter Pan). And the one park without a coaster is Epcot. Now, should it be a special coaster with scenes and slow downs like a ramped up Gringott's, 7D, or Mummy? Sure. But, I can't begrudge the decision to put a coaster in Epcot when you look at the guests' obvious desire to ride them.
I don't necessarily dis-agree with this if they could actually build a coaster that fit Epcot's Mission statement.

shortstop

What's really gonna sting is when Universal opens their new Dueling Dragons replacement coaster. From what they've said about it, which is not a whole lot, is it could be a game changer within these immersive, themed coasters that's being discussed here. They don't even really need to one up their own Mummy and it already has Guardians beat, from what little we know of it.
We also heard the same thing about Gringotts so Im not going to worry about that for now.

Matt_Black

Mr. Toad knew what it was though and wasn't billed as an E Ticket.

There's different expectations.

No comparison.

Right, there's always some kind of rationalization or excuse when it's something someone likes. "IPs that Disney bought don't belong in the parks! I'm sick of acquisitions! Get rid of Star Wars, Marvel, and the Muppets! ... Keep Pixar, though. I wuv Pixar."

jt04

I actually do agree that the other parks need investments more. DHA truly needs even more than they're getting. AK is in a good place but would benefit from a couple of dark rides. MK needs more capacity. Adventureland and Frontierland are long overdue for an expansion (and I'd love nothing more than to see the Carpets in the middle of Adventureland be moved or gone, even though I don't dislike them, it would help to have that open space again, like removing the tombstones in front of Spaceship Earth) but I get why they chose Tomorrowland first and I'm not unhappy about TRON but it wasn't what they *needed*.

Not looking for much progress at DCA after SWL. They have huge problems until Anaheim lets them add a parking garage. Sad.

Mike S

Right, there's always some kind of rationalization or excuse when it's something someone likes. "IPs that Disney bought don't belong in the parks! I'm sick of acquisitions! Get rid of Star Wars, Marvel, and the Muppets! ... Keep Pixar, though. I wuv Pixar."
And you throw it right back by shooting everything down no matter what anyone says.

You don't have to defend everything to be a fan you know.

TROR

Believe it or not, it's not IP's that people dislike. It's inappropriate uses of IP's and IP's that don't feel like they belong. Indiana Jones in Adventureland? Perfect. The original Star Tours? Wonderful. Tower of Terror? Amazing!

But then you have things like Mission Breakout which is bad in nearly every way. Had Guardians of the Galaxy been located in Tomorrowland, people would not be hating on them in Disneyland. It's because they've been mishandled that people are upset.

TROR

I've heard nothing to suggest this. Not that that's everything of course.

Initial rumors I heard were that Tron was planned for Disneyland but then those rumors shifted over to Magic Kingdom. Truthfully, though, I don't think I'd want Tron at Disneyland unless it was a new ride design that made it completely indoors and was a dueling coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom