News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jaxonp

Now do GotG, Tron, Rat, Moana…

Also F&F and Kong were entirely new builds. MMRR was a partial repurposing and Frozen, save for one room, was essentially an overlay on existing infrastructure.

Out of curiosity, are you calculating from announcement or groundbreaking or something else?
New fantasyland, Pandora 😂 Disney Springs

Toy Story Land was almost respectable.

ToTBellHop

Disney's Coronado Tower (Destino): 2.4 years.
Universal's Surfside Resort: 2.6 years.

Disney's Toy Story Mania: 1.5 years.
Disney's Frozen Ever After: 1.7 years.
Disney's MMRR: 2.0 years.
Universal's F&F: 2.3 years.
Universal's Kong: 2.3 years.
Data like these only makes TRON more frustrating for me, honestly. I get that they were closed for four whole months, and I only have a math minor, but my team of staff statisticians has alerted me that a four month closure does not explain an ~18-month delay on this ride. So we should stop blaming the pandemic. They made a choice to remove a significant portion of the 50th package because they think what they’re offering is good enough for us. It’s not surprising, but it is disappointing.

At least Universal came clean and said they were sticking a pin in EU for a bit because they didn’t know when demand would return to Florida.

JoeCamel

Data like these only makes TRON more frustrating for me, honestly. I get that they were closed for four whole months, and I only have a math minor, but my team of staff statisticians has alerted me that a four month closure does not explain an ~18-month delay on this ride. So we should stop blaming the pandemic. They made a choice to remove a significant portion of the 50th package because they think what they’re offering is good enough for us. It’s not surprising, but it is disappointing.

At least Universal came clean and said they were sticking a pin in EU for a bit because they didn’t know when demand would return to Florida.
They did announce the construction was paused then they did. They sealed the building and let it sit.
It is never about when they can finish something it is when they want to open something. They didn't want to open it so they didn't

ToTBellHop

They did announce the construction was paused then they did. They sealed the building and let it sit.
It is never about when they can finish something it is when they want to open something. They didn't want to open it so they didn't
Right. And it feels disrespectful. But, of course, we’ve been discussing this for almost 2 years. Just open the damn thing so we can move on to the next complaint.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
yea the only thing that’s mildly impressive is toy story mania… for screens and such an elaborate queue and surround land…
The original TSM was 1.5 years taking over an existing 'sound stage.'

Adding the third track took 1.7 years.

Razing the back of house and creating TSL with the two new rides and reconfigured queue for TSM took 2.2 years.

Hogsmeade and Hogswarts each took 2.5 years.

Pandora took 3.5 years.

Just for everyone's clarifications: My calculations start the clock at 'breaking ground' or demolition, not at the time of announcment.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Now do GotG, Tron, Rat, Moana…

Also F&F and Kong were entirely new builds. MMRR was a partial repurposing and Frozen, save for one room, was essentially an overlay on existing infrastructure.

Out of curiosity, are you calculating from announcement or groundbreaking or something else?

I was responding to a point that Disney never did anything as fast or faster than Universal.

But thanks for adding this strawman that I wasn't making. It's really livens up the place!

ToTBellHop

Razing the back of house and creating TSL with the two new rides took 2.2 years.

Pandora took 3.5 years.

Just for everyone's clarifications: My calculations start the clock at 'breaking ground' or demolition, not at the time of announcment.
That explains it. If we went with announcement dates, for TRON,
1640181015467.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Razing the back of house and creating TSL with the two new rides and reconfigured queue for TSM took 2.2 years.

Pandora took 3.5 years.

If you count from time of announcement then most of Disney's projects took 5-6 years, and most of Universals, 2-3 months. ;)

Casper Gutman

This misses the point completely, of course. The issue isn’t just (or primarily) how long WDW takes to build something after groundbreaking, it’s the fact that they make much-hyped announcements and then drag their feet for months or years, using the announcement alone as a way to avoid making OTHER announcements. So Disney and it’s fans have been able to answer charges that the parks are stagnant by pointing to Tron for at least six years - considerably longer if we consider the period after opening in which it will be considered “new.”

Compare to Universal, where impressive additions like Bourne just seem to happen. This is one of the issues with the Moana area - if it were simply a nice addition that appeared, similar to Unis Speingfield expansion, it would be much more well received. As it is, it is a major part of a sweeping and very visible makeover of a deeply flawed park that has been hyped for years. On those terms, it’s almost guaranteed to be a failure.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This misses the point completely, of course. The issue isn’t just (or primarily) how long WDW takes to build something after groundbreaking, it’s the fact that they make much-hyped announcements and then drag their feet for months or years, using the announcement alone as a way to avoid making OTHER announcements. So Disney and it’s fans have been able to answer charges that the parks are stagnant by pointing to Tron for at least six years - considerably longer if we consider the period after opening in which it will be considered “new.”

Compare to Universal, where impressive additions like Bourne just seem to happen. This is one of the issues with the Moana area - if it were simply a nice addition that appeared, similar to Unis Speingfield expansion, it would be much more well received. As it is, it is a major part of a sweeping and very visible makeover of a deeply flawed park that has been hyped for years. On those terms, it’s almost guaranteed to be a failure.

I've never made the point that Disney generally builds things in a timely fashion or doesn't hype upcoming projects to their own detriment.

So, hope you and your strawmen are leading a very happy and fulfilling lives together. (By the way, just as a word of advice, all those strawmen look like a pack of fools... better check into it.)

Casper Gutman

I've never made the point that Disney generally builds things in a timely fashion or doesn't hype upcoming projects to their own detriment.

So, hope you and your strawmen are leading a very happy and fulfilling lives together. (By the way, just as a word of advice, all those strawmen look like a pack of fools... better check into it.)
So you just responded to a post criticizing Disney's build times with a cherry-picked set of build times that seemed to dispute the point because... you agreed that Disney's build times are unacceptable?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So you just responded to a post criticizing Disney's build times with a cherry-picked set of build times that seemed to dispute the point because... you agreed that Disney's build times are unacceptable?
Only because they dared anyone to give a counter example.

The sentence above... I already said that. So, it's clear it doesn't matter what people say, you're going to continue to dance with your strawmen.

Good day, sir.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom