News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

celluloid

Was that theme park built in the midst of a world wide pandemic?

You could bring up some technicality that satisfies the bias but Universal Beijing seem to do it with reasonable delays.
Same company built a coaster in FL during the same pandemic that began physical work after the start of Tron and it was not a clone. Beyond that company many other major tourist attractions have built and completed attractions in the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

I’m no expert on construction or anything. Doesn’t it seem this has a slim shot of opening in 2022. I used to think it has no shot since it wasn’t mentioned at Destination D23. With the path framework being put into place as well as other advancements I’m starting to believe it’s not as far away as I thought?

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, they could of course slow down again or just leave it to sit like Rat.

I don't know where it is at exactly construciton wise, but until you see trains running frequently on the track we are a couple months out at the least. It needs commission time and approvals and then training to hand off to operations.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You could bring up some technicality that satisfies the bias but Universal Beijing seem to do it with reasonable delays.
Same company built a coaster in FL during the same pandemic that began physical work after the start of Tron and it was not a clone. Beyond that company many other major tourist attractions have built and completed attractions in the pandemic.
Lol

You do know the difference between building thru a pandemic and deciding to put a project on hold? Because, remember, Universal put a whole new theme park on pause. So, where is the shade for them for doing that?

Last edited by a moderator:

G00fyDad

Check upthread, some links to the design and discussion of the build

I still don't see anything that alludes to it being inflated. The ETFE foil roof may be thin enough to notwithstand a tiny projectile fired from a pellet gun but if so do they really think that thing's going to hold up against birds landing on it with their pointed talons? (No I'm not talking about eagles landing on the thing and tearing it apart.) I'm talking about just even the average Sparrow. They don't exactly have rounded toes. This thing can't survive a pellet gun that it's probably not going to survive the wildlife that lands on the top of it. Or what about hurricane force winds that blow debris across the surface of the roof? Yes, I know that the article talks about the durability of a ETFE foil roof but if we're worried about a pellet gun we should be worried about a lot of other things.

JoeCamel

I still don't see anything that alludes to it being inflated. The ETFE foil roof may be thin enough to notwithstand a tiny projectile fired from a pellet gun but if so do they really think that thing's going to hold up against birds landing on it with their pointed talons? (No I'm not talking about eagles landing on the thing and tearing it apart.) I'm talking about just even the average Sparrow. They don't exactly have rounded toes. This thing can't survive a pellet gun that it's probably not going to survive the wildlife that lands on the top of it. Or what about hurricane force winds that blow debris across the surface of the roof? Yes, I know that the article talks about the durability of a ETFE foil roof but if we're worried about a pellet gun we should be worried about a lot of other things.
Go to the one above with Bio's tweets

Casper Gutman

Lol

You do know the difference between building thru a pandemic and deciding to put a project on hold? Because, remember, Universal put a whole new theme park on pause. So, where is the shade for them for doing that?
Epic Universe was announced in mid-2019 and then hit by the pandemic almost immediately. Opening was pushed from 2023 to 2025.

Tron was announced in 2017. It is now expected to open in late 2022 or 2023.

In other words, WDW’s carbon-copy of a pre-existing, short indoor coaster will take almost exactly as long to build as Universals huge new theme park, entertainment district, and hotel, all constructed on an entirely new site. And the pandemic only delayed Tron BECAUSE of Disney’s absurdly drawn out construction process - it should have been completed when the crisis hit.

People need to stop using the pandemic as an excuse for Disney’s bad practices. Especially Disney.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Epic Universe was announced in mid-2019 and then hit by the pandemic almost immediately. Opening was pushed from 2023 to 2025.

In other words, WDW’s carbon-copy of a pre-existing, short indoor coaster will take almost exactly as long to build as Universals huge new theme park, entertainment district, and hotel, all constructed on an entirely new site. And the pandemic only delayed Tron BECAUSE of Disney’s absurdly drawn out construction process - it should have been completed when the crisis hit.

People need to stop using the pandemic as an excuse for Disney’s bad practices. Especially Disney.

And yet, you just used the pandemic as the excuse for the delay in EU.

Patcheslee

Do they really need a restroom when there are easily accessible ones near either approach to the ride? It also is positioned so as to not be easily accessed if you are approaching the ramp headed for the ride. I’d guess it’s a gift shop or not for guests.
With the possible wait times, the closer the better.
??? A pellet rifle and an inflatable roof? What is this? UP?
After hours upcharge game....

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It doesn't say it on that site but it is one of the two common ways ETFE roofs are made, and inflation is consistent with the look of the Shanghai roof panels.

gorillaball

And you honestly think EU will have a paying guest enter in 2023?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m super confused why anyone is sticking up for Disney construction timelines. Comparing to universal is lame. Find a modern excuse in the last 15 years where universal has been slower than Disney outside their new theme park. Go on… you won’t. It’s a choice and it’s deliberate for both companies.

Disney's Coronado Tower (Destino): 2.4 years.
Universal's Surfside Resort: 2.6 years.

Disney's Toy Story Mania: 1.5 years.
Disney's Frozen Ever After: 1.7 years.
Disney's MMRR: 2.0 years.
Universal's F&F: 2.3 years.
Universal's Kong: 2.3 years.

jaxonp

Impressive that Disney did a screen attraction in an existing building and an overlay in such short time.

surf side is like 3 destinos in size but didn’t already have most of the resort built around it..

yea the only thing that’s mildly impressive is toy story mania… for screens and such an elaborate queue and surround land…

Casper Gutman

Now do GotG, Tron, Rat, Moana…

Also F&F and Kong were entirely new builds. MMRR was a partial repurposing and Frozen, save for one room, was essentially an overlay on existing infrastructure.

Out of curiosity, are you calculating from announcement or groundbreaking or something else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom