News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mergatroid

higher risk? WDW needs attractions desperately and WDC doesn't want to invest... There is no risk...If Belle's Meet and Greet attraction can get hour plus waits daily, then it doesn't matter at this point what attraction they open... There is no risk to an original attraction other than they are not wanting to pay for it... "If You Build it They Will Come" totally fits WDW
So how does GOTG fit into that? Longest indoor coaster utilising a ride system Disney hasn't used before, similar to ROTR which also wasn't copied from anywhere. Over the last few years Disney seems to have added more stuff than I can remember in quite a while. If you don't like the stuff that's one thing, but Guardians and Rise go completely against the no risk description you use?

celluloid

So how does GOTG fit into that? Longest indoor coaster utilising a ride system Disney hasn't used before, similar to ROTR which also wasn't copied from anywhere. Over the last few years Disney seems to have added more stuff than I can remember in quite a while. If you don't like the stuff that's one thing, but Guardians and Rise go completely against the no risk description you use?

Not completely against my definition of no risk. GOTG It is based on characters that are a part of one of the highest profitable movie Blockbuster Franchises of the last decade.

As far as ride tech goes, spinning coasters with controlled spins are not anything new for theme parks around the world, and Uni did that with Gringotts for the sake of show 8 years before GoTG's opening, regardless if one likes it or not.

If they can base something like that on an in theme park house created IP for the states, than we have something like the pre Iger era.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Not completely against my definition of no risk. GOTG It is based on characters that are a part of one of the highest profitable movie Blockbuster Franchises of the last decade.

As far as ride tech goes, spinning coasters with controlled spins are not anything new for theme parks around the world, and Uni did that with Gringotts for the sake of show 8 years before GoTG's opening, regardless if one likes it or not.

If they can base something like that on an in theme park house created IP for the states, than we have something like the pre Iger era.
Whilst I don't disagree with much of what you've said, I was replying to this

higher risk? WDW needs attractions desperately and WDC doesn't want to invest... There is no risk...If Belle's Meet and Greet attraction can get hour plus waits daily, then it doesn't matter at this point what attraction they open... There is no risk to an original attraction other than they are not wanting to pay for it... "If You Build it They Will Come" totally fits WDW

This poster is basically saying that Disney won't invest and because people go anyway they don't have to try etc. Again Rise and Guardians doesn't fit in with what he's saying, they're not cheap and certainly weren't the quickest or easiest options. If he doesn't like them then fair enough (even though one hasn't even opened yet), I'm not going to even think about trying to change his mind. However personally I don't think his claims back his argument and I'm just putting this out there to back up my point.

Bocabear

There is still little risk...the amount of uptick in sales generated by these attractions far outweighs the risk especially when all the parks are desperate for new attractions. Coaster that rotate have been used before. So have all the individual components of ROTR... These are not all new systems never before dreamed of. And yes they have been adding lately after they spent a decade shuttering attractions completely... DHS was down to 5 rides in the whole park...before they added TSL and Star Wars... The HAD to add attractions... there was no risk...So yeah while they might be using a newer technology here and there, adding an attraction to a park that needs attractions is not a risk...

celluloid

There is still little risk...the amount of uptick in sales generated by these attractions far outweighs the risk especially when all the parks are desperate for new attractions. Coaster that rotate have been used before. So have all the individual components of ROTR... These are not all new systems never before dreamed of. And yes they have been adding lately after they spent a decade shuttering attractions completely... DHS was down to 5 rides in the whole park...before they added TSL and Star Wars... The HAD to add attractions... there was no risk...So yeah while they might be using a newer technology here and there, adding an attraction to a park that needs attractions is not a risk...

Something this also brings to mind, although a different scale, this only brings Tomorrowland back to the number of attractions it had over a ten years ago since nothing ever replaced a shuttered attraction venue.

sedati

I'm worried about this offering the both the best and worst view of Space Mountain. Best in that it looks like we'll have an elevated and unobstructed view of the structure. Worst in that while a circle, Space Mountain does actually have a backside, and it's the one facing Tron.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So have all the individual components of ROTR... These are not all new systems never before dreamed of.

And Space Mountain was just an off the shelf wild mouse coaster.

And the ballroom scene in Haunted Mansion was just a 100 year old effect.

I mean, come on.

Sometimes the ingenuity is how all the individual pieces are put together by WDI. Space Mountain was unique because it put the coaster in the dark, was themed very well to be a spaceport launch, and created a unique experience that has delighted now for decades.

And the ballroom scene may just be Pepper's Ghost, but the attention to detail and the sheer scale still impress. HM is still one of the best attractions at MK.

To say that Rise wasn't a risk because all the individual components have been used before strikes me as an argument from someone who just wants to say that modern Disney can do nothing right.

The impressive aspect of Rise (and where the risk comes in) is how all these pieces were put together to create an immersive story.

Casper Gutman

So is this going to be Gringotts with a longer coaster-in-the-dark section and a less interesting setting?

I was really hoping for a few AAs - at least a Groot.

EDIT: This was supposed to be in the thread for the other new indoor sci-fi coaster! I have confused my whines!

Last edited:

celluloid

well the new velocicoaster at Universal is only 1:10

With two launches, faster speed and more track covered, so better paced by far. it is not just about time. And 1:10 is nearly 30 percent more ride time? For a launch coaster of that speed and thrill it makes sense. Also, not the only E ticket/major thrill draw, but a complimentary one given after the same park just opened a longer more technologically advanced themed coaster two years prior. I think it is a culmination of all of those things.

Tron ecompasses too many noticeable block brakes and has been so many years in the work since any other major attraction.

Also, forget Guardians and Incredicoaster. Cheetah Hunt or Maverik is what I would reference with launch and length thrill focused coasters without show scenes.

Last edited:

Clamman73

A5048A44-6596-406F-BB19-3C2A35ABA0BD.jpeg
D3336976-FF8E-479B-A570-16CC49A21099.jpeg
254B6EA4-EA6E-400D-B618-FCF63DFCD1F9.jpeg

UNCgolf

It's going to look great and I think it's unfortunate that it's likely not going to be able to be well-seen by the best angles possible.

This is the thing (I know I'm repeating myself).

It's hidden back in a corner and it seems like you'll really only be able to see it when you're actually heading there to ride it (or maybe from around the Speedway). It won't be visible from the entrance to Tomorrowland and likely not until you get past the Astro Orbiter. Obviously that area back there will see an increase in traffic due to TRON itself, but it's not somewhere that guests would normally be for any other reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom