News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

erasure fan1

I am sort of confused, isn't Tron a basically irrelevant IP at this point?
IP relevance really doesn't matter all that much when it comes to rides. I firmly believe that a well done attraction out weighs IP any time. Just look at flight of passage. Avatar was about as irrelevant an IP as there was at the time of the land being built. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has anything bad to say about FoP and the quality of the land. Splash mountain is another great example. Most average people didn't really know it was from song of the south, but everyone LOVES the ride.

Casper Gutman

IP relevance really doesn't matter all that much when it comes to rides. I firmly believe that a well done attraction out weighs IP any time. Just look at flight of passage. Avatar was about as irrelevant an IP as there was at the time of the land being built. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has anything bad to say about FoP and the quality of the land. Splash mountain is another great example. Most average people didn't really know it was from song of the south, but everyone LOVES the ride.
I agree with this to an extent, but having been to Pandora, I felt it was an intricately themed, very immersive landscape I didn’t care about at all. This may simply be because I enjoy built environments over ostensibly natural ones, because I love Cars land and don’t care for the movies. But it’s also because fondness for and familiarity with a property may not be necessary but it sure helps.

But boy, that Na’Vi AA is both absolutely amazing and deeply unpleasant.

Dear Prudence

Oh, I completely agree with you! I was just baffled because of the current state of the company of their obsession with the IP du jour at all costs. I didn't think they would take such a risk. For the record, I LOVE Tron, I just didn't think at this point, they'd be brave enough to keep it Tron!

Movielover

Yes, because the cultural footprint of Tron is exactly the same as Tom Sawyer.
You're right, Tom Sawyer is currently going under the same cancel culture scrutiny BS that other books and films are going through meanwhile Tron is safe for now, so Disney really aught to be ripping out Tom Sawyer and propping up Tron even more. :rolleyes:

Face it, Tron fits in with MK just as much as Tom Sawyer does.

Dear Prudence

You're right, Tom Sawyer is currently going under the same cancel culture scrutiny BS that other books and films are going through meanwhile Tron is safe for now, so Disney really aught to be ripping out Tom Sawyer and propping up Tron even more. :rolleyes:

Face it, Tron fits in with MK just as much as Tom Sawyer does.
Look, the changes to the Disneyland Tom.Sawyer. Island are great. They're about 10 years old now. As someone who had to endure the Tom Sawyer revival in the 1990s, and who is Native and spent literally my entire childhood being tortured because my biological father was "Injun Joe," I am fine with modifying things. Get rid of the bad stuff, keep what's fun about Tom Sawyer. Tron is more relevant anyway, but no one could say no to getting to pretend to be Tom Sawyer for a little bit.

Surferboy567

Their is no reason this shouldn’t open next year. Them not mentioning it at the press event is worrying. Maybe at Destination D along with Guardians timeframe?

Mr. Moderate

At the rate Disney is going on construction, Tron doesn't look like it will open until mid summer, if that. It's frustrating how slow it's going and still no train around the Magic Kingdom. For me and many others, the train is a big part of the appeal of MK. This project could have been handled so much better and even with the pandemic, this has been painfully slow. I pushed my October 21 trip out to May 2022, but it looks like it's best to extend it to the fall.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where did this presume criterion come from, that in order for an IP to be used in a park, it has to be a current franchise with sequels or reboots? And this presumed criterion was sort of in the ether even before Disney Plus came along to reboot everything as part of its voracious appetite for new content.

Disney had been hammering away at the classical princesses in the parks for decades and decades after their movie was out without any plans for sequels. There was no Seven Dwarfs movie in the works when the eponymous coaster was built.

There was no Hocus Pocus reboot/sequel in the works when the Sanderson Sisters were leveraged for one of the parks most popular stage shows.

There's no Ratatouille show in the works (that I know of) that was the reason to create the original Rat ride and its clone.

Therefor, there's no need to justify a TRON ride because there's a sequel/reboot coming. People know of TRON even if they never saw it. And putting it in the parks is a way to revive interest in it. The synergy works both ways. Get a few dozen million people riding a TRON coaster, and they might pay attention to the IP in it's movie and/or D+ form.

lazyboy97o

Where did this presume criterion come from, that in order for an IP to be used in a park, it has to be a current franchise with sequels or reboots?
Bob Iger. He said it in interviews. Actually used Ratatouille once as an example of something that wasn’t a franchise and likely wouldn’t get an attraction. Ratatouille happened though because of the messy ownership and debt situation at Euro Disney and then because they needed something quickly at Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom