News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

*Q*

That depends highly on the ride in question. If you told me id have a 30 minute wait to ride RnRC, Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, or Soarin, id be perfectly fine with that as i love those rides and they offer me a pretty fun experience. If you told me i had to wait 30 minutes for Ellen or Figment i'd laugh at you.
I mean... I would happily wait 3+ hours for ye olde Figment...
dreamfinder-figment-dreamcatcher-stock-disney.jpg

Kman101

I think the point is, Disney used to build rides with huge capacity, but is now replacing them with small capacity ones.

Both UoE and GMR could have been constantly updated over the last 20 years so that they'd both keep being used to their full potential

Even though they should have been, if they were, what's to say they still wouldn't have axed them?

Kman101

Guest satisfaction may have been higher.

Plus they wouldn't be falling apart now. Literally.

Very true. We'll never know for sure, was just saying it's speculation they would still be around. We can guess all day what may have been. And believe me I'd prefer them to be updated and kept. It's a shame to lose high capacity dark rides. That's what we need MORE of, not less of.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am sure it has been mentioned, but is the Raceway remaining and Tron will be behind it? I only ask because my brother is sending me links from random websites claiming that the raceway will be replaced. (@marni1971 ) ?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am sure it has been mentioned, but is the Raceway remaining and Tron will be behind it? I only ask because my brother is sending me links from random websites claiming that the raceway will be replaced. (@marni1971 ) ?

The site that is forbidden claimed a scoop shortly before D23 saying that TRON Coaster was replacing Speedway. Well, they got the first part right, but the second wrong. That site's grand vizier refuses to acknowledge that he was confirming that Speedway was going, he claims he was only confirming TRON. But now, the damage is done. Other sites picked up his proclamation and now it's echoing through the internet.

Lots and lots of sources are now saying that Speedway is definitely staying but will be altered in some way to account for TRON's footprint going over the railroad tracks. One of our insiders says it will be rethemed to TRON car racers.

See here for latest rumors: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-upcoming-timeline-tracker.926402/

Casper Gutman

Disney should stop using launch coasters and just use coasters with very long, very shallow, and very slow lifts. And maybe add several of them in one ride. This way people will be happy for 12 minute coaster rides (2 minutes downhill, 10 minutes up on slow lifts).

Or they could go back to building (or stop closing) longer rides with interesting scenes, strong storytelling, and wit. That's also an option.

I'd also argue lift hills don't "artificially" inflate ride time but add to the impact of the ride by building anticipation and offering impressive views. They are also a space that Disney could use to include show scenes and build story if the ultimate goal wasn't just to cycle people through the attraction as quickly as possible.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Or they could go back to building (or stop closing) longer rides with interesting scenes, strong storytelling, and wit. That's also an option.

Well, that's great for rides that don't depend on speed, like coasters do. But when you build a coaster, they go fast. And they travel the track fast. Except for slowing it down for an indoor scene like 7DMT does, complaints that they go by too quickly is a bit absurd... they're coasters. You're not going to get a 20 minute coaster ride.

Casper Gutman

Well, that's great for rides that don't depend on speed, like coasters do. But when you build a coaster, they go fast. And they travel the track fast. Except for slowing it down for an indoor scene like 7DMT does, complaints that they go by too quickly is a bit absurd... they're coasters. You're not going to get a 20 minute coaster ride.

But when they keep building coasters in lieu of other rides, its a valid criticism. They're making a choice to build a disproportionate number of coasters - and short ones at that.

It's my understanding that WDW has a philosophy that guest satisfaction is based more on the quantity of attractions a guest experiences then the quality. What's more, a guest sitting in a long attraction isn't buying souvenirs or eating. The proliferation of short rides and the removal of longer ones is a very deliberate strategy.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But when they keep building coasters in lieu of other rides,

Well, that's not the reality at all. Neither new ride in Pandora was a coaster. TSL is adding one coaster and one flat ride. SWL is adding two rides and neither is a coaster. Epcot is adding a GotG coaster and a UK non-coaster. And the MK is getting a TRON coaster.

So, with the two rides going away, only one replacement will be come a coaster. Of all the new rides, only 2 of the 8 are coaster. That's a total of 3 out of 10 rides. That is not "a disproportionate number of coasters."

So, the reality is that your statement is false.

Casper Gutman

Well, that's not the reality at all. Neither new ride in Pandora was a coaster. TSL is adding one coaster and one flat ride. SWL is adding two rides and neither is a coaster. Epcot is adding a GotG coaster and a UK non-coaster. And the MK is getting a TRON coaster.

So, with the two rides going away, only one replacement will be come a coaster. Of all the new rides, only 2 of the 8 are coaster. That's a total of 3 out of 10 rides. That is not "a disproportionate number of coasters."

So, the reality is that your statement is false.

Pandora's an interesting cut off point, because it lets you exclude their last major addition... a coaster. So, of the attractions you listed that are being added in the future, 3 out of 8 are coasters. And you forgot Rat, so 3 out of 9. That's 33%. And 2 of the non-coasters are flats, so if you exclude those its 3 out of 7. And I would argue, given Disney's history, that is a disproportionate number of coasters. After all, in the entire history of WDW to this point, they have built 7 coasters. So they are increasing the number of coasters by 43%. That's a notable change in design philosophy.

Also, you might want to refrain from declaring that subjective opinions are false. It's intellectually dishonest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom