News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

In general it just seems the art of hiding show buildings has past. Look at the Avengers stuff in DCA or this hideous box, then look at DINOSAUR and Splash. Doesn't even compare.

Everest, Pandora, Galaxies Edge Florida, and New Fantasyland should have all been designed to be seen from all guest areas.

Add tower of terror to that list... imagine only the front being themed but the back that’s visible from the skyliner and Friendship boats being unthemed.

SplashJacket

The canopy is not just an added show piece, it follows the layout of the track and is very expensive. There wouldn’t be much of a cost savings with a larger, redesigned canopy.

I am not suggesting a redesign of the canopy in anyway.

There is plenty of room to allow a similar angle accomplished in Shanghai to be ultilized. Had the attraction been constucted in a different angle it would have done wonders.

1581981642349.png

Josh Hendy

Probably got a twofer deal with the Chinese factory which fabricated the track sections and supports. Made two identical pieces of everything, same dimensions and angles down to the millimeter. Hopefully.

The imagineers could only choose the "least bad" orientation of the finished clone with respect to Space Mtn, WDWRR, WEDway and last of all, sightlines. I'll bet there was less than 5° leeway.

lazyboy97o

I am not suggesting a redesign of the canopy in anyway.

There is plenty of room to allow a similar angle accomplished in Shanghai to be ultilized. Had the attraction been constucted in a different angle it would have done wonders.

View attachment 449731
Different layout, different cost. Just turning the building wouldn’t fix that much and still have cost implications.

Probably got a twofer deal with the Chinese factory which fabricated the track sections and supports. Made two identical pieces of everything, same dimensions and angles down to the millimeter. Hopefully.

The imagineers could only choose the "least bad" orientation of the finished clone with respect to Space Mtn, WDWRR, WEDway and last of all, sightlines. I'll bet there was less than 5° leeway.
The coaster was manufactured in the Netherlands with some simple pieces and supports possibly fabricated in China. Walt Disney World passed on co-developing the attraction when it was approved a decade ago.

Bocabear

The entrance and Q is a big improvement and helps to tell a better story imho.
The queue is better...the ride however is not...It is shorter and missing a few scenes that help tell a better story... Look to the Paris version...I think that is the best iteration of the ride. (when everything is working)... The Shanghai version is really a completely different animal... It would be amazing if they could actually expand our Pirates, add a few new show scenes and have a better ending.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m still not understanding the weird color pattern on the exterior panels.View attachment 450580

It seems that the white and grey will be view with Space Mountain in front of it. So, it won't have as sharp a contrast between the two buildings.

The blue will be seen from the other side and that's just go-away-blue to make the box blend with the sky.

The vertical stripes help hide the box from looking fat.

tparris

It seems that the white and grey will be view with Space Mountain in front of it. So, it won't have as sharp a contrast between the two buildings.

The blue will be seen from the other side and that's just go-away-blue to make the box blend with the sky.

The blue is actually a dark grey in person, it only looks blue on camera for some reason.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yup - again, begs the question. The folks at WDI aren't stupid. They designed this ride specifically for Shanghai so that your approach angle hid the big box. Now, to just pick it up and plop it down in an entirely different park, with entirely different scale, sight lines, etc. means that A) they don't understand their own design principles, B) they just don't care, or C) the cost savings of simply duplicating it overwhelms any (I believe they think "outdated) concerns about sight lines.

My guess is C with a solid foundation of B. Either way, it's coming.
If people will go willingly into an overcrowded park at $150 per day, they'll go if there's a big blue box behind a ride.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Yeah, but are they white, gray and blue, or are they blue and gold?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom