News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MiddKid

I don't understand the heavy reliance on trim brakes in applications like this ride. Seems like bad design to create a roller-coaster that has to come to a full stop in order to safely navigate the course.

It's less about safety and more about comfort, show scenes, and/or capacity.

Comfort:
Disney is known for toning down the thrills in their coasters. I posted this in the PW thread but I'll leave it here too showing how Disney brakes their standard off the shelf Spinning Mouse way more than the stock model from Reverchon (my last item here on Capacity applies to PW too).

Show:
With in the in-building show scenes (screens) Disney is aiming to achieve a level of visual interaction...e.g. the interaction with other light cycles. Seeing this screen effectively means the passengers should take it at a slower speed to visually realize what they just saw (for an example of a non-braked train speeding by a show scene arguably too quickly, see the yeti at Everest when it was working). If you wanted to eliminate the brakes and keep the same show scene speed you'd have to reduce the speed of the launch and or the entry height. Things they may not want to do. Keep the thrilling launch at a higher speed, slow down for show scenes. This is already a short ride. Adding trim brakes gives a longer ride time.

Capacity:
More trains running at once needs more block brakes. Tron has seven trains...running even five at a time requires active block brakes to keep the spacing right. Ignoring the show and comfort items above, if you ran this exact layout all out without slowing the trains in the show building, you'd easily loose a train or two of capacity due to spacing issues.

Jones14

Wait, so the train comes to a complete stop after the outdoor portion? I thought it was just a trim brake (slowing but not stopping).

trainplane3

Wait, so the train comes to a complete stop after the outdoor portion? I thought it was just a trim brake (slowing but not stopping).
It's a hefty trim brake. It's a block section so it can stop if needed but from all the videos I've seen it's a noticeable slowdown.

Bocabear

i rode it three times...at a quieter time of day...there was literally no line. Each time we rode it was a complete stop...then a roll into the show building. The trim breaks on the indoor section slowed us almost to a stop...

Clamman73

911F3EF1-1211-409F-A075-330BA44E1701.jpeg

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
... and by "leeway" you mean that you can extend your trip by up to a year. ;)

Extend or defer? There’s an important distinction! 😁

I would love to extend my trip by a year but unless I win the lottery I don’t think I could afford it. Deferring my trip by a year however is much more likely.

Back on topic (just), our Christmas 2016 trip was deferred by 6 months or so. Which meant we were sure we’d be able to see ROL, which had also been deferred a few months. Nope! Still not ready. 🥺 So we never did get to see the original version which, whilst not as good as it could/should have been, sounds better than what there is now.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
For those that have ridden it, what is the thrill level? Expedition Everest is basically my limit.

My wife and I visited Shanghai Disneyland last month (see my trip report & photos). We rode Tron Lightcycle Power Run several times. The first time we rode in the morning we were in the last car and I was a little disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I thought it was way too short and I was not impressed with the effects. We rode it again and asked to be in the front car, and this was much better. Wow, that was actually pretty cool. Later that evening we rode it again in the dark and in front … and OMG that was amazing!! This ride is fantastic when riding in the front car at night. Very thrilling.

They had an interesting procedure for bags. Obviously there is no place to put your bag with the manner in which you sit on the motorcycle (there is a small compartment in the middle of the steering wheel that you can open to put your phone in, but otherwise there is no place to put anything larger), so they have wheeled carts that you put your things on. So everyone's stuff from the same ride vehicle is on the same cart. They roll the cart to the end of the ride so that when you exit the vehicle you can pick up your bag.

This worked pretty well, except for people who want to wait to sit in front. The imagineers seemed to have anticipated that many guests would want to ride this attraction in the front car, as they made a special waiting line for this. You can see this in the picture below (the yellow arrow is where people wanting to sit in the first car would queue). However, they were not using this specially designed line at all because this doesn't work with the luggage carts. You can't have people put their bag on the cart, then wait 10 trains until they finally ride. So each time we asked to sit in front they had us stand awkwardly on the side, kind of in the way, until they could take our bag and we could go on the next train.

This is a good example of imagineers coming up with something that is not practical for operations. I wonder how they are going to deal with this at Magic Kingdom. Have they learned from this at Shanghai Disneyland? Will they have lockers instead of luggage carts? Or will the imagineers redesign the waiting area?

tron.jpg

Disney Analyst

Because the track does have a cover... can this coaster run during Lightning?

I am so grateful a coaster is being built that won't shut down everyday in Florida...

Victor Kelly

Has anyone put forth the idea that they can camoflage the show building by using visuals from the Tomorrowland movie? It would blend Space Mountain in with Tron.

RaveOnEd

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom