News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

BrianLo

FF7B6357-E1B7-4C47-AFBD-B3A12983FEFC.jpeg

Super crude drawing, but just wanted to denote how set back the show building is relative to guest accessible areas in Shanghai denoted *roughly* in red

Pam Hates Penguins

So yesterday whilst walking around MK, I decided to take a look at the coaster development again, not expecting anything special, just more support beams installed, and then BAM... first piece of track has now been installed for a low banked turn. Seems that the coaster track will be installed fairly quickly, however they've still got quite a lot of work on the canopy, and show building component of the ride.View attachment 373425View attachment 373426View attachment 373427

Would the canopy be built after all the track is placed? Or will they work on both projects simultaneously?

DisneyDreamerxyz

I don't understand how people will enter this area - only through the small sidewalk between the Speedway and Space Mountain? I guess I thought the whole purpose of closing the Speedway was to make that pathway bigger for traffic flow but they didn't even touch that area??

N2dru

I don't understand how people will enter this area - only through the small sidewalk between the Speedway and Space Mountain? I guess I thought the whole purpose of closing the Speedway was to make that pathway bigger for traffic flow but they didn't even touch that area??

The walkway from Fantasyland by Barnstormer should help with the traffic flow once or if it's reopened.

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

By itself? Absolutely. Next to Tron? Not at all. The juxtaposition between the two right next to each other isn't the greatest. Tron is sleek and curvy, while Space Mountain has a very linear structure. They don't mix well visually next to each other.
I'm going to hold final judgement till I see it in person.

I like odd things so my first judgement is I just think it's going to look cool as hell. Getting off Space Mountain and going right onto Tron is something I'm looking forward to as well and unlike other people, I see that as a reason to be excited and not just complain about how it doesn't fit :)

EDIT: To make it more clear, what I'm trying to say is for me the fact that I'll be able to get off SM and go onto Tron is great and outweighs the negatives that others bring up that it's dumb to have two indoor coasters next to each other and the architecture differences

Last edited:

Incomudro

I'm going to hold final judgement till I see it in person.

I like odd things so my first judgement is I just think it's going to look cool as hell. Getting off Space Mountain and going right onto Tron is something I'm looking forward to as well and unlike other people, I see that as a reason to be excited and not just complain about how it doesn't fit :)

EDIT: To make it more clear, what I'm trying to say is for me the fact that I'll be able to get off SM and go onto Tron is great and outweighs the negatives that others bring up that it's dumb to have two indoor coasters next to each other and the architecture differences

I agree.
I think it's going to look beautiful and is a much needed improvement.

Epcot_Imagineer

I've tried to use my non-existent photoshopping skills to overlay Shanghai's Tron onto the latest aerial. It's not perfect due to the variation of the angles, but pretty close.
A great Photoshop! I couldn't quite understand the direction/placement of the building until this, thank you!

EDIT: Also thank you @LukeS7, I'm getting it even more, thank you. I don't think sightlines will be too bad... there can be discussions about the clashing of SM and Tron, but in all, I think this is a needed addition.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've tried to use my non-existent photoshopping skills to overlay Shanghai's Tron onto the latest aerial. It's not perfect due to the variation of the angles, but pretty close.

View attachment 374105

It's a big thread, so, easy to miss, but GMTA!

The boxy building encompasses that pad and its satellites according to the permit filed...

View attachment 348818

With a copy from China overlaid...

View attachment 348819

And another view. The height of the box and photo represents the height of the peak of the canopy peaks. The rest of the canopy and the gravity building are about 10 meters lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom