News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Mike S

So Micechat is reporting that Tron is coming to Disneyland (if this is old news, my apologies), which prompts two thoughts:

1) Disney really want to convey the message that there is no need to go to WDW. Just go to DL - they are getting all the same rides, and aren’t losing classics to do it - MMRR is replacing nothing but part of a store, SWL necessitated only a shortening of the RoA (which I think turned out well). The only major build WDW is receiving that DL isn’t is Rat - but Marvel Land kind of offsets that.

2) It remains deeply irritating that the short, redundant, rider-limiting, out-of-date Tron is the overseas ride Disney is bent on copying and not Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor - or Tokyo’s Monsters or Pooh or B&B or...
Can we not have ANYTHING?

Indy_UK

So Micechat is reporting that Tron is coming to Disneyland (if this is old news, my apologies), which prompts two thoughts:

1) Disney really want to convey the message that there is no need to go to WDW. Just go to DL - they are getting all the same rides, and aren’t losing classics to do it - MMRR is replacing nothing but part of a store, SWL necessitated only a shortening of the RoA (which I think turned out well). The only major build WDW is receiving that DL isn’t is Rat - but Marvel Land kind of offsets that.

2) It remains deeply irritating that the short, redundant, rider-limiting, out-of-date Tron is the overseas ride Disney is bent on copying and not Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor - or Tokyo’s Monsters or Pooh or B&B or...

I kinda get why Disney are doing it. We are in the U.K.and always wanted to visit Disneyland even just once, but all the time rides are being duplicated, I don't have as much reason to visit there and I may as well go to WDW.

Biggest issue is that it's totally lazy on Disneys part. WDW and DLP have enough that differentiates them both which doesn't pull me anywhere else.

They're really trying to keep people on the east coast and international going to WDW and west coast to Disneyland.

N2dru

I so agree, its getting quite annoying. Especially as you stated DL isn’t losing classics but gaining WDW exclusives. While the MK's classics are in desperate need of refurbs. DL park already has more attractions then the MK yet they're cramming WDW created attractions in. Using that logic then bring us an updated Alice in Wonderland attraction where the Cheshire Cat Café is located. Or bring a moving Casey Jr train/Storybook Canal Boats. Looking at it MMRR actually would have fit better in MK's FL where Silly Pete's Sideshow is. Better yet bring the TDL's new BATB ride to Florida behind Gaston's in FL. If they did they would find a way to cram it into DL as well. The parks are become less and less unique.

Last edited:

Bocabear

After riding the Shanghai version, I am glad our Space Mountain has the loading station it does and not Anaheim's version...The Tron loading area is so similar to Anaheim's Space mountain but with different decor.
I so agree, its getting quite annoying. Especially as you stated DL isn’t losing classics but gaining WDW exclusives. DL park already has more attractions then the MK yet they're cramming WDW created attractions in. Using that logic then bring us an updated Alice in Wonderland attraction where the Cheshire Cat Café is. Or bring a moving Casey Jr train that goes all over the circus area. Better yet bring the TDL's new BATB ride to Florida behind Gaston's in FL. If they did they would find a way to cram into DL as well. The parks are become less and less unique.
I agree...but just can the Be Our Guest restaurant and put the ride in... We really need an Alice ride and they need to gut and completely redo Peter Pan...the Shanghai version is much better paced and tells more of a story... I would have preferred Casey Jr and the Storybook Canal boats to the same old crappy Speedway...Just Sayin'.

PizzaPlanet

Don't forget, we have the Play Pavilion. Beat that TDA.

Casper Gutman

I so agree, its getting quite annoying. Especially as you stated DL isn’t losing classics but gaining WDW exclusives. DL park already has more attractions then the MK yet they're cramming WDW created attractions in. Using that logic then bring us an updated Alice in Wonderland attraction where the Cheshire Cat Café is located. Or bring a moving Casey Jr train/Storybook Canal Boats that goes all over the circus area. Looking at it MMRR actually would have fit better in MK's FL where Silly Pete's Sideshow is. Better yet bring the TDL's new BATB ride to Florida behind Gaston's in FL. If they did they would find a way to cram into DL as well. The parks are become less and less unique.
Welllll... I trust our insiders more then Micechat, so who knows if this is true, but that site is also reporting DL will receive a Fantasyland expansion simaltaneous to or shortly after Tron construction, so I’d wager DL gets Tokyo’s BatB long before we do.

A decade or so ago I began turning to DL for my Disney fix. It’s nice of Disney to make it really clear that I made the right choice. The only thing that draws me to Orlando is Uni, which I love.

ToTBellHop

WDW exclusives:
Carousel of Progress
PeopleMover
Laugh Floor (I think...)
Hall of Presidents
Country Bears
Spaceship Earth
Guardians
Mission: SPACE
Test Track
Figment
Living with the Land
The Seas
Gran Fiesta
Frozen Ever After
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Swirling Saucers
Muppetvision
Flight of Passage
Na'vi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Nemo show
It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
TriceraTop Spin
Dinosaur

Available overseas but not Disneyland:
Mine Train
Ratatouille
Tower of Terror
RnRC
Festival of the Lion King
Magic Carpets

So, nothing. I left out shows at Epcot since nobody goes to them, anyway.

jt04

WDW exclusives:
Carousel of Progress
PeopleMover
Laugh Floor (I think...)
Hall of Presidents
Country Bears
Spaceship Earth
Guardians
Test Track
Figment
Living with the Land
The Seas
Gran Fiesta
Frozen Ever After
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Swirling Saucers
Muppetvision
Flight of Passage
Na'vi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Nemo show
It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
TriceraTop Spin
Dinosaur

Mine Train
Ratatouille
Tower of Terror
RnRC
Magic Carpets

WDW is also getting a skyliner, has two water parks and a much much larger 'downtown' dining and entertainment complex. Golf courses too. The list is endless.

N2dru

WDW exclusives:
Carousel of Progress
PeopleMover
Laugh Floor (I think...)
Hall of Presidents
Country Bears
Spaceship Earth
Guardians
Test Track
Figment
Living with the Land
The Seas
Gran Fiesta
Frozen Ever After
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Swirling Saucers
Muppetvision
Flight of Passage
Na'vi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Nemo show
It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
TriceraTop Spin
Dinosaur

Mine Train
Ratatouille
Tower of Terror
RnRC
Magic Carpets

DL Resort exclusives:
Main Street Cinema/Penny Arcade (WDW's are now shops)
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln/Walt Disney Story
Indiana Jones Adventure (TDS has a version but were comparing US parks)
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Snow White Scary Adventure (turned into a M&G at WDW)
Pinocchio Daring Journey
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Mr.Toads Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mickey and the Magical Map show
Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
Goofy's Playhouse
Donald's Boat
Chip n Dales Treehouse
Mickey's House
Minnie's House
Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage
Red Car Trolley
GOTG Mission Breakout!
Monsters Inc...Mike & Sully to the Rescue
Frozen Live!
All of Carsland
All of Pixar Pier except TSMM
Goofy's Sky School
Silly Symphony Swings and Golden Zephyr
Grizzly River Rapids
Most of these exclusives are at DL park. DL has a larger share of exclusive attractions despite the MK being physically larger. Plus a few WDW exclusives you have listed were at DL resort one time or another.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
DL resort exclusives
Main Street Cinema/Penny Arcade ( WDW's are now shops)
Indiana Jones Adventure (TDS has a version but were comparing US parks)
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Snow White Scary Adventure
Pinocchio Daring Journey
Casey Jr Circus Train
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Mr Toads Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mickey and the Magical Map show
Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
Goofy's Playhouse
Donald's Boat
Chip n Dales Treehouse
Mickey's House
Minnie's House
Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage
Red Car Trolley
GOTG Mission Breakout!
Monsters Inc...Mike & Sully
Frozen Live!
All of Carsland
All of Pixar Pier except TSMM
Goofy's Sky School
Silly Symphony Swings and Golden Zephyr
Grizzly River Rapids
Most of these exclusives are at DL park. DL park has a larger share of exclusive attractions then the MK. Despite the MK being physically larger. Plus a few FL exclusives were at DL resort one time or another.
Yes. But DL has, sadly, become 20 pounds of ... attractions ... stuffed into a 15 pound bag.

Casper Gutman

Yes. But DL has, sadly, become 20 pounds of ... attractions ... stuffed into a 15 pound bag.
Better then being 5 pounds of attractions in a 20 pound bag.

Yes, I was being sarcastic and hyperbolic, not literal. But the fact remains that most of the big new rides are being cloned in both parks, and DL is retaining more of its great classics. What the list above shows is that WDW’s uniqueness lies in AK (a truly great park) and the sad remnants of a glorious, long-lost EPCOT. MK and MGM (after its “huge,” decades-in-the-making redo) offer little that isn’t done, often better, at the California parks.

justintheharris

You had me but then you lost when when you decided to trash talk Tron. I guarantee if they built Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor or any of the other rides, you'd have a long list of complaints about those too.

N2dru

Better then being 5 pounds of attractions in a 20 pound bag.

Yes, I was being sarcastic and hyperbolic, not literal. But the fact remains that most of the big new rides are being cloned in both parks, and DL is retaining more of its great classics. What the list above shows is that WDW’s uniqueness lies in AK (a truly great park) and the sad remnants of a glorious, long-lost EPCOT. MK and MGM (after its “huge,” decades-in-the-making redo) offer little that isn’t done, often better, at the California parks.

Exactly the point I wanted to make. When comparing the castle parks, DL is retaining the classics while getting new rides and MK is stuck with less number of attractions and subpar versions of the classics. There are some exceptions like the HM and Splash Mountain. But if it counts MK has much better queues. 😉

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney management - Why build one when you can build two at 4 times the price? And we save money by not having to create two new rides, only one! On top of that, we homogenize the parks so that people experience basically the same thing anywhere in the world, don't they? I mean, it's pretty much the same thing when I walk with my handlers in the parks, so everyone probably thinks the same way. It's brilliant!!!

I like having unique experiences in each of the parks, it gives people a reason to branch out and visit other parks. DL has a charm like no other. But cloning rides doesn't always equate to the same experience. Splash is different and better in WDW than it is in DL. ToT is best experienced in WDW. Pirates is best experienced in DL or DLP. RCR is not the same as Test Track. Sadly, I haven't been able to visit TDL or SDL or HKDL, so I can't comment on their respective rides from personal experience. But TDL/TDS is at or near the top of my bucket list, I just can't convince my wife to do the flight.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Exactly the point I wanted to make. When comparing the castle parks, DL is retaining the classics while getting new rides and MK is stuck with less number of attractions and subpar versions of the classics. There are some exceptions like the HM and Splash Mountain. But if it counts MK has much better queues. 😉
To be fair, I would argue that it was the case on my first visit to WDW in 1989 that DL>MK but WDW>DLR and it's still the case. Different strategy when you have 4 parks. And, to be even more fair, for all its rides, any more than 4 days at DLR and I'm ready to move on to somewhere else in Southern California (which is certainly more appealing than Central Florida if you're willing to leave Anaheim). At WDW, I prefer 8 or 9 days on property. And I don't spend the whole time in queues on the PlayDisney app. So what does this say?

I don't actually mind cloning. I like the rides. I've been on Haunted Mansion probably 300 times. I don't now say "not this again!" A Disney parks fanatic will enjoy Rise of the Resistance more than once.

The resorts still maintain unique character. For example, walking around Disneyland has a COMPLETELY different feel for me than MK even if many of the rides are the same.

Casper Gutman

You had me but then you lost when when you decided to trash talk Tron. I guarantee if they built Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor or any of the other rides, you'd have a long list of complaints about those too.
Well, I can happily assure you that you are incorrect. I would welcome MM and Shanghai Pirates with open arms. I’m not sure why you’d lump those masterpieces of dark-ride art in with Tron, a very short coaster-in-the-dark-with-blinky-lights that offers little of interest beyond what can be found in Space Mountain, RnRC, GotG, and TT. I am much more excited for RotR, Falcon, MMRR, and Rat then for Tron.

Pretty dog. Newfie?

Bocabear

Well, I can happily assure you that you are incorrect. I would welcome MM and Shanghai Pirates with open arms. I’m not sure why you’d lump those masterpieces of dark-ride art in with Tron, a very short coaster-in-the-dark-with-blinky-lights that offers little of interest beyond what can be found in Space Mountain, RnRC, GotG, and TT. I am much more excited for RotR, Falcon, MMRR, and Rat then for Tron.

Pretty dog. Newfie?
Having just gotten back from Shanghai Disneyland I would agree...Tron is pretty...and it is fast....but it is not as amazing or unique as the Shanghai Pirates or HKDL's Mystic Manor... It's a fun ride....absolutely... But the others are just richer experiences...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom