News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

DinoInstitute

Some people found the speedramp part of the show.
I suppose it could be seen as that, but to me it was nothing more than the infrastructure of the building. Same thing with Pirates (and if that’s considered to be part of the show for that ride, then I’d consider that poor storytelling).

180º

Isn’t that a bit of a double standard then? How is it different? (I don’t mean that in an argumentative way for the record, if you have information about it then I’d genuinely love to hear it).
In its RCA years, the attraction was often marketed as “ride Space Mountain and visit The Home of Future Living.” The Space Mountain post show was pretty prominent even if it wasn’t the main event. In contrast, Pirates was never marketed as “Ride Pirates of the Caribbean and then ascend the Exit Speedramp,” if you will. :)

DinoInstitute

In its RCA years, the attraction was often marketed as “ride Space Mountain and visit The Home of Future Living.” The Space Mountain post show was pretty prominent even if it wasn’t the main event. In contrast, Pirates was never marketed as “Ride Pirates of the Caribbean and then ascend the Exit Speedramp,” if you will. :)
Speedramp = futuristic. PotC was the wrong place for one.
Fair enough :). I suppose to me that just kinda feels like the type of thing that’s there for practicality more so than for theme, just like any other ride mechanics you see in the attractions or things of that nature. I don’t want to derail this thread any further though!

Last edited:

jt04

Fair enough :). I suppose to me that just kinda feels to me like the type of thing that’s there for practicality more so than for theme, just like any other ride mechanics you see in the attractions or things of that nature. I don’t want to derail this thread any further though!

There was a time when moving sidewalks were futuristic seeming. Now there in most airports.

N2dru

I suppose it could be seen as that, but to me it was nothing more than the infrastructure of the building. Same thing with Pirates (and if that’s considered to be part of the show for that ride, then I’d consider that poor storytelling).

Pirates wasn't so much part of the show but more Marc Davis and the designers not wanting a upramp like Disneyland. He stated he hated the boats chugging up the ramp at the end of the ride at Disneyland and didn't want a repeat at WDW.

halltd

Accessible wasn't an issue back then.
Just because it wasn’t required by law doesn’t mean Disney wasn’t thinking of it. Why do you think there is a ramp and stairs at the entrance to Space Mountain? Ramp to Carousel. Ramp to People Mover. Elevator to Astro Orbitor. Ramps to Big Thunder. Ramps to Country Bear. If you think about it, almost all (if not all) old-school attractions offered no-barrier access.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Why do you think there is a ramp and stairs at the entrance to Space Mountain? Ramp to Carousel. Ramp to People Mover. Elevator to Astro Orbitor. Ramps to Big Thunder. Ramps to Country Bear. If you think about it, almost all (if not all) old-school attractions offered no-barrier access.
If I were to consider it at all, which I haven't until now, because it wasn't an issue when SM was built, I'd say they were trying to keep the clumsy guests from tripping all over themselves on the stairs.

yensidtlaw1969

Isn’t that a bit of a double standard then? How is it different? (I don’t mean that in an argumentative way for the record, if you have information about it then I’d genuinely love to hear it).
Speedramp = futuristic. PotC was the wrong place for one.
On a similar note, Space actively features Show Scenes, thereby making it part of the attraction, where the Pirates speedramp is minimally if competently themed, without any active Show Scene taking place.

Space was meant to move you via conveyor through futuristic tableaux (that doubles as the exit), where Pirates was merely meant to get you back to "ground level" without drawing too much attention to itself.

Rteetz

The track for the two coasters looks pretty much the same based on the one piece of the Guardians track we have seen installed. Tron's outdoor track is white not black, can't tell for sure what color the inside track is.
This is the indoor portion of Tron during construction. (from ThemeparX)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom