Trespassing third parties

Splash4eva

I’m wildly skeptical that enough guests are using DAS to significantly back-up lightning lanes. What proportion of guests each day use DAS?
I have DAS and when you check in the FP lane the user needs ri go first before anyone taps in plus the CM needs to “approve it” 1st. I can probably count on 1 hand how many times ive seen other DAS users when checking into a ride. Granted its a small sample but you would get an idea if it was widely used etc and from my years of using it. I dont see any real abuse what so ever that people claim it is causing these lines on the FP side.

Touchdown

Touring Plans and a bunch of other sites benefit from Disney's difficult planning, which leads me to believe the article is missing a crucial detail or two.
Yes but TP does their commerce off site, which is a form of free speech. The tour guides are doing their commerce on Disney’s property. It’s like someone walking into Walmart and opening a stand to sell food. TP is out on the street in a public space selling their wares.

phillip9698

Do we already have a thread on this? See the article here.

I can see both sides though. But enforcement can't just be so arbitrary all of a sudden, can it? Does this indicate something happened that they've now categorized the risk? Or is TDO gonna try and compete in this space?

Its private property, not a public park. Just as you can ask someone to leave your home at any point, Disney can ask someone to leave if they see fit.

Its always risky when you base your business off making money on someone elses property and that is exactly what these people have done.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Yes but TP does their commerce off site, which is a form of free speech. The tour guides are doing their commerce on Disney’s property. It’s like someone walking into Walmart and opening a stand to sell food. TP is out on the street in a public space selling their wares.
The Girl Scouts do it at Wally........

MickeyLuv'r

A better approach would have been for WDW to send warning letters first, like maybe a 30-day warning.

The people who bought these services were caught off-guard at the last moment, and that is not a great look for WDW, especially if the customers in question have disabilities. Navigating any public space with a disability is often a big challenge. I can see why they would want to pay for help.

Andrew25

It’s different because clients are paying their guides around $150-$200 an hour. By their own admission they’re undercutting Disney’s VIP Tours. And in some cases blatantly claiming on websites that they can skip lines etc.

It is not at all the same as publishing an Unofficial Guide to WDW each year and providing the option to create a personalised touring plan for around $20 a year.

Disney have obviously decided they don’t want people profiting by offering guided tours at a quarter of the cost of their own official guides and have taken action. They must have identified companies they are targeting if they are pulling people out of line to trespass them, they obviously know the guides - suggesting they’ve been gathering information for a while now. Whether or not these guides have abused thenDAS system before or made false claims about what they can do, I don’t know. But they’re still profiting by acting as guides.
Didn't know they were claiming skip-the-lines access, that's understandable. The way the article was written suggested it was more of a literal "all-knowledgeable" guide that just happened to physically assist/guide you through the parks.

I actually know Ramon who was quoted in the article. He would never do anything like abuse DAS or anything similar. He is more of a trip planner type of guide for wealthy clients who are clueless in the ways of WDW.
That's what is throwing me off about this entire thing. I get wanting to prevent DAS abuse, but the way some folks were referenced in the article just suggested they were full trip planners who planned everything for a family so they didn't need to spend hours on research.

phillip9698

The Girl Scouts do it at Wally........

The girl scouts are outside the store, receive prior permission from the store before setting up their stand, and arent undercutting a product sold inside said store.

Didn't know they were claiming skip-the-lines access, that's understandable. The way the article was written suggested it was more of a literal "all-knowledgeable" guide that just happened to physically assist/guide you through the parks.

That's what is throwing me off about this entire thing. I get wanting to prevent DAS abuse, but the way some folks were referenced in the article just suggested they were full trip planners who planned everything for a family so they didn't need to spend hours on research.

Thats the spin. The majority of the clients are not disabled, but you push the disabled aspect of it as cover to earn sympathy and hopefully keep your business going. Hell some of the business owners were disabled themselves and were using their status to basically sell line skip privileges to able bodied people.

Last edited:

KeithVH

Original Poster
It’s different because clients are paying their guides around $150-$200 an hour. By their own admission they’re undercutting Disney’s VIP Tours. And in some cases blatantly claiming on websites that they can skip lines etc.

It is not at all the same as publishing an Unofficial Guide to WDW each year and providing the option to create a personalised touring plan for around $20 a year.

Disney have obviously decided they don’t want people profiting by offering guided tours at a quarter of the cost of their own official guides and have taken action. They must have identified companies they are targeting if they are pulling people out of line to trespass them, they obviously know the guides - suggesting they’ve been gathering information for a while now. Whether or not these guides have abused thenDAS system before or made false claims about what they can do, I don’t know. But they’re still profiting by acting as guides.

BUT! While I get the undercutting argument, you gotta admit, the customer segment that would pay for a VIP tour has almost no overlap with the group that will pay for 3rd party concierge. If TDO isn't going to market an appropriately priced service to the right segment, then they're just being prissy little s-its because they can.

I could also be a snot and say that if the whole argument was about the customer receiving their value while on Disney property (mentioned in the article) then shouldn't customers NOT be allowed to consume information from ANY source other than Disney while on their property? By the logic Disney has applied, read the Unofficial Guide all you want, just not while your in the park. The logic is the exact same reasoning.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but, as usual, Disney seems to have handled this about as poorly as possible. Which leads me to believe that either (a) Disney doesn't really care about the optics on this or (b) Disney has no one intelligent or caring enough to have crafted policy and procedures so it would have been handled better. I'm not sure which of those actually concerns me more.

MagicRat

There was another article about this a few weeks ago, maybe it was on another fansite, I do not remember but what I do remember from the story is that it is also going after the “vlogger celebrity” who sells his/her time on property. I am totally for cracking down on these type of people. They make the Brazilian tour group look like angels. I have seen these celebrities literally take every chair from an outside dining area of a deluxe resort, arrange the chairs in a circle and go on to conduct a meet and greet for his entitled fans. I also would bet heavily none of them were staying at the resort or even bought a soft drink :)

Purduevian

Going to guess there may have also been a G+ availability issue here. I know I myself am able to get 7+ LLs during a day, but I know I'm in the minority. If enough of these tour guides are doing the same thing (which is within the bounds of G+ and not hacking the system), that minority grows and limits the availability of the average park guest.

I'm sure standby skipper is a bigger offender of taking G+ inventory, but is probably more difficult to enforce as no one from the company is physically on property.

ppete1975

Heres the deal, there used to probably be only a few. But with the spread of the internet, people are quitting their jobs to do this, or become youtubers. They are building their entire jobs around the INSIDE of a private company. Its different for people booking tickets, scheduling experiences etc externally. I would bet you the number of these increase largely every year due to copycats. And the more there are, the harder it is to police. And I wouldnt be shocked if some push their ways to the front of lines or keep huge sections of parade seating reserved.

A few bad actors ruined it for all.

I do think that it would be easier to have notified people through their websites or some other means, than treat them like criminals and ban them.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s private property, not a public park. Just as you can ask someone to leave your home at any point, Disney can ask someone to leave if they see fit.
I’m pretty sure Disney can’t just ask someone to leave for no reason. The “commercial activity” thing is a bit of a stretch - they could trespass Tom Bricker for that if they wanted to.
(b) Disney has no one intelligent or caring enough to have crafted policy and procedures so it would have been handled better.
I’m guessing it’s b - and yes it’s quite concerning.

Touchdown

I’m pretty sure Disney can’t just ask someone to leave for no reason. The “commercial activity” thing is a bit of a stretch - they could trespass Tom Bricker for that if they wanted to.
Actually they can, just like you can from your private home. Provided you aren’t discriminating a protected class and going about this in a legal way (using trespass legal notifications) they absolutely can.

TrainsOfDisney

Actually they can, just like you can from your private home. Provided you aren’t discriminating a protected class and going about this in a legal way (using trespass legal notifications) they absolutely can.
Since my home is not a business that is open for the public to enjoy, I can’t see how it’s possibly the same thing.

I’d be interested to talk to a lawyer about this though, sounds like an interesting law and one I don’t necessarily agree with.

Either way, in this case the cause give is “commercial activity” which does set a dangerous standard if they want to go after anyone who profits off a visit to Disney in any way.

Touchdown

Since my home is not a business that is open for the public to enjoy, I can’t see how it’s possibly the same thing.

I’d be interested to talk to a lawyer about this though, sounds like an interesting law and one I don’t necessarily agree with.

Either way, in this case the cause give is “commercial activity” which does set a dangerous standard if they want to go after anyone who profits off a visit to Disney in any way.
The public is not free to enjoy, it’s gated and Disney chooses who they let in. Disney sets conditions for admission like dress codes, cost, and a PROHIBITION ON SOLICITATING ON THE PREMISES. It’s not hard to understand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom