Transformers - What did you think?

IndianaJones

So a close group of friends and I took a day trip over to Universal and IOA yesterday. It was my first trip back in a little over a year. (Haven't been able to convince my wife we need annual passes to WDW and UO.)

The main point of the trip was to take my sister in law to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (I got her to read the books, so I wanted to be there to see her reaction), but I was also excited to see all the new things that have popped up at the Studios as well.

I'm going to be completely honest, I was brutal to this ride when it was being built. I am not a fan of the films at all(outside of the slight nostalgia I feel because of the old show) and I would tell all who would listen that I thought it would be terrible. To put it quite simply, I was incredibly wrong.

I rode both Spiderman and Transformers yesterday and I think Transformers blew Spidey away. It ran smoother and I thought the visuals were better. It was quite amazing to me just how big those screens were. It really felt like the Decepticons could crush you. Also, some of the effects were quite amazing. I'm thinking of the time you go through the building. That was a jaw hitting the floor moment for me.

As I was gushing about it afterwards with my friends who rode it with me, they all kind of looked at me and laughed. As it turns out, they all heard how much fun I was having through out the ride, because I was being very vocal about what I was enjoying.

So as it turns out, I had to eat a lot of crow about Transformers. For me it is easily the best thing at the studios and maybe even at the entire resort. Well at least until Diagon Alley gets built.

HTF

So a close group of friends and I took a day trip over to Universal and IOA yesterday. It was my first trip back in a little over a year. (Haven't been able to convince my wife we need annual passes to WDW and UO.)

The main point of the trip was to take my sister in law to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (I got her to read the books, so I wanted to be there to see her reaction), but I was also excited to see all the new things that have popped up at the Studios as well.

I'm going to be completely honest, I was brutal to this ride when it was being built. I am not a fan of the films at all(outside of the slight nostalgia I feel because of the old show) and I would tell all who would listen that I thought it would be terrible. To put it quite simply, I was incredibly wrong.

I rode both Spiderman and Transformers yesterday and I think Transformers blew Spidey away. It ran smoother and I thought the visuals were better. It was quite amazing to me just how big those screens were. It really felt like the Decepticons could crush you. Also, some of the effects were quite amazing. I'm thinking of the time you go through the building. That was a jaw hitting the floor moment for me.

As I was gushing about it afterwards with my friends who rode it with me, they all kind of looked at me and laughed. As it turns out, they all heard how much fun I was having through out the ride, because I was being very vocal about what I was enjoying.

So as it turns out, I had to eat a lot of crow about Transformers. For me it is easily the best thing at the studios and maybe even at the entire resort. Well at least until Diagon Alley gets built.

This makes me smile

IndianaJones

This makes me smile

Mission accomplished then!

It's a shame really, because I haven't been that excited on a ride at WDW since I went on Everest for the first time whenever it opened. I experienced it out at Cars Land when we were at DLR this past December. And I'm pretty sure it will happen with Potter phase 2.

I need to get back there and ride it again. It was that good.

Tom Morrow

I want to mention that I love the slow motion segments in Transformers. This could have easily looked very cheesy, but instead it somehow is convincing feeling and looks awesome.

IndianaJones

I want to mention that I love the slow motion segments in Transformers. This could have easily looked very cheesy, but instead it somehow is convincing feeling and looks awesome.

It's funny that you bring that up because I was just talking to a coworker about that. I had heard about the slow mo and thought for sure that it would bring me right out the experience, but it actually made it better.

It's like you are experiencing bullet time from the Matrix.

I'm glad you brought that up.

magicallactose

It's funny that you bring that up because I was just talking to a coworker about that. I had heard about the slow mo and thought for sure that it would bring me right out the experience, but it actually made it better.

It's like you are experiencing bullet time from the Matrix.

I'm glad you brought that up.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how well the slo-mo works. It gives you a moment to really take in the crisp details 'around' you before propelling you back into the full-speed mayhem. It's a great counterpoint that makes me hold my breath!

Milla4Prez66

I've been on this ride 3 times and I've enjoyed it more each time. However, Spidey is still better. The effects in that ride are awesome and it does the best job of mixing screens and sets. Transformers is beautiful, but it relies a bit too much on screens IMO. However, the set by the unload area with Megatron is EPIC.

Both rides are epic though and I'd take both over FJ, which I think is the most overrated ride I've been on.

Glasgow

The most impressive part of the Transformers attraction for me was the integration of all of the show elements. Its just amazing how you lose track of where the scenery ends and the 3D screens begin. Overall, I'd give this attraction an 8 or 9 out of 10, simply from the aspect of the level of technology and the re-rideability. Yeah, the story may be somewhat lacking but it's a sci-fi franchise .. it's probably always going to be a little bit weak in that regard. Wish WDW would bring something with this sort of wow-factor. Sadly, I don't see it happening any time soon .. perhaps with Avatarland, I hope.

figment1988

I've first rode it in June 29 (which also happened to be my birthday), and it is a lot better than spider-man. My only thing about this one is that there's not much music during the ride (save for Bumblebee using "Give it to Me Baby" and "I Feel Good), but the action definitely doesn't take any breaks. In a way, it's almost as entertaining as the fights between Peter Griffin and Ernie the Chicken from Family Guy, but with it's share of good effects such as the slow motion scenes.

As for the cast, very much into their roles. Speaking of which, there's a bit of a running joke when I go on Transformers, due to the fact that I often take Duffy with me while he is wearing a uniform similar to the NEST Personnel, which leads to compliments from some of the staff.

Tom Morrow

In a way, it's almost as entertaining as the fights between Peter Griffin and Ernie the Chicken from Family Guy
OMG. If there's ever a Family Guy ride, this is what it should be!

I too think there should be a bit more music. The first time I rode was during previews, and I thought that perhaps the music wasn't "installed" yet.

StageFrenzy

Another thing, every time I look up at the "animatronic" I wish it had an arm that would reach out and try to grab before the fade to black.

inchy warrior

:D
It's very similar to Spider-Man. If you can ride Spidey, you can ride this. :)

Let us know how you liked it!
I got back home 24th Nov and this is the first time ive been on wdwm since i got back
My take on transformers was OMG!!! It was awesome!!! We visited UNI 3 times while there and managed to go on the ride 10 times, no queue whatsoever and also used single rider about 3 times.

I found it faster than Spiderman and more intense and with Uni adding this it made the park my favourite with MK.
It was a different experience than Spidey(which I still love) and would highly recommend anyone to give it a try

IndianaJones

The most impressive part of the Transformers attraction for me was the integration of all of the show elements. Its just amazing how you lose track of where the scenery ends and the 3D screens begin. Overall, I'd give this attraction an 8 or 9 out of 10, simply from the aspect of the level of technology and the re-rideability. Yeah, the story may be somewhat lacking but it's a sci-fi franchise .. it's probably always going to be a little bit weak in that regard. Wish WDW would bring something with this sort of wow-factor. Sadly, I don't see it happening any time soon .. perhaps with Avatarland, I hope.
The story of the ride is better then all 3 films IMO.

JordanNite

It is not as smooth as the Singapore version.

It has plenty of shortcuts on it, probably to meet a deadline.

The singapore version is clearer, and has added details.

MarkTwain

I rode it for the first time a few weeks ago and felt very much like the OP. I think the Spiderman ride is one of the best rides in the world, and I don't even know or care that much about Spiderman (have only seen two of the films). I went into Transformers expecting something similar and walked away kind of underwhelmed. I don't know much about Transformers, but the ride seemed confusing and I had a hard time getting my head into the story of what was going on. As a result the ride just seemed very... loud?... and just very visually overwhelming, in not necessarily a good way. I feel like it needed better pacing, more room to breathe, and less sensory and information overload. Spiderman seemed in general a more elegant ride experience, with a better soundtrack and cinematic feel.

Minnie_girl

I first rode Transformers in early October, and it took my breath away.
75.gif

Me too....I really liked it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom