Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

cjkeating

I don't fully understand what I'm looking at? So on one side the facades are ripped out and there will just be a wall? Are those seating areas for the restaurant?

Yeah even more confused by the model, if anything it looks like there will be less space to walk through as it looks like the seating areas are coming into the walkway?

Imagine when you enter Studio 1 the left hand side wall of facades remains similar but the flat fake facades on the right hand side are all removed and it's now much more open so it's like you are in a garden, at night, with trees and twinkly lights. The model that has been shared was a version where this went too far into the main walkway so in the plan that is going ahead the main route through will be less obstructed.

Sir_Cliff

I'm willing to reserve judgement until we have further details, but on the face of it the concept doesn't seem like much of an improvement to me as it seems a little strange to just have one side of a street. I am also struggling to imagine what it will actually look like, though, so I guess we'll see when the concept art comes out.

mrflo

Would be great to see some actual concept art - and not just for Studio One but the whole rest of the transformation. I finally want to officially learn the story/theme they are planning to introduce to the WDS that is supposed to connect everything together and will hopefully make the park worth to have "Walt" as part of its name.

Maybe they will make some announcements in early September during the Destination D23 event. Or DLP will use the 100th anniversary on Oct 16 to provide a look into the near future. And if they are not planning to and are reading this: hey DLP Comms team, this is the moment, this is your chance! Please don't waste it! ;)

JakeDLP

Would be great to see some actual concept art - and not just for Studio One but the whole rest of the transformation. I finally want to officially learn the story/theme they are planning to introduce to the WDS that is supposed to connect everything together and will hopefully make the park worth to have "Walt" as part of its name.

Maybe they will make some announcements in early September during the Destination D23 event. Or DLP will use the 100th anniversary on Oct 16 to provide a look into the near future. And if they are not planning to and are reading this: hey DLP Comms team, this is the moment, this is your chance! Please don't waste it! ;)
Or a random Tuesday. That is the DLP way!

mrflo

Or a random Tuesday. That is the DLP way!
So true! 😆 Though I would even take some random Tuesday as long as they finally provide some official major update on the whole WDS transformation and not a random story about how much research & incredible attention to detail went into the selection of the new toilet brushes for the royal rooms of the DLH.

JakeDLP

So true! 😆 Though I would even take some random Tuesday as long as they finally provide some official major update on the whole WDS transformation and not a random story about how much research & incredible attention to detail went into the selection of the new toilet brushes for the royal rooms of the DLH.
They'd make an hour long YouTube special on those brushes if you're not careful.... In honesty it's weird to me how they don't really advertise much of the parks with the exception of AC recently. Especially any of the new stuff, It's like they want people to forget there's an expansion. I mean maybe now I think about it they might be scared that people might hold off going for a while to wait for construction to end but that doesn't mean they have to be radio silent

cjkeating

I mean maybe now I think about it they might be scared that people might hold off going for a while to wait for construction to end but that doesn't mean they have to be radio silent
I think this is a big concern. DLP always has a lull after an anniversary celebration so I am sure they are planning on riding through next year on Avenger's Campus and new entertainment offerings and not drawing attention to an expansion that is just under 2 years away.

It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get an update until Studio 1 closes in April as part of a "final preparation works" for WDSP 2.0 ahead of Frozen/lake opening in just over a year from April 2024.

Sir_Cliff

They'd make an hour long YouTube special on those brushes if you're not careful.... In honesty it's weird to me how they don't really advertise much of the parks with the exception of AC recently. Especially any of the new stuff, It's like they want people to forget there's an expansion. I mean maybe now I think about it they might be scared that people might hold off going for a while to wait for construction to end but that doesn't mean they have to be radio silent
In think it's mostly an issue of the expansion being so far from completion. They have had a few posts about the new Coco restaurant recently, which isn't anything groundbreaking but something they can actually say is coming soon.

The timing is also probably awkward in terms of Frozenland opening soon in HKDL, which they are promoting on the DisneyParks Blog and associated social media. It becomes difficult to promote that and an expansion to another park which has the same land as its centrepiece but which isn't going to open for a few more years and is also a lesser version without prompting unfavourable comparisons. I guess they'll be hoping that by the time they get around to promoting the WDS version, they'll also have other plans to share and people will have forgotten about Hong Kong!

Sir_Cliff

I think they honestly did a pretty decent job with the new Casa de Coco.

With the possible exception of the family 'photos', they have kept the theming fairly subtle and not too cartoony. Having one side themed to the family shoemaking business and the other to music is a nice touch and they have kept a lot of the old fittings and theming. If anything, I think most guests will probably miss more touches related to the movie on the 'music' side.

The outdoor terrace is also a welcome addition for a restaurant that was always crowded. While it does contribute to the 'toonification', it seems like the new Miguel statue at front is, at least for the moment, a popular photo opportunity. The only issue is that perhaps it causes a bit of a bottleneck!

Last edited:

LondonTom

Official visual concepts from the construction permits shared by DLP Works:

I don't fully get why they would want to close off Studio 1 like that with the awning. Kind of like its hiding the rest of the park...

Though maybe its the long empty path they want to hide 😂

I really hope it doesn't look that bad in real life, it looks a long empty path 😂

mrflo

I don't fully get why they would want to close off Studio 1 like that with the awning. Kind of like its hiding the rest of the park...
According to the sources one of the goals is to reduce the direct exposure of day light to the inside of the Studio 1 building. The new exit is also supposed to provide some kind of reveal effect after guests walking through the entrance of a cinema facade.

The whole thing looks a bit better in the 3D models that Outsidears has shared in April. Though despite the fact that the additional greenery is very welcome, I agree that the whole long empty pathway does not look very appealing from this point of view. Considering that they will also remove some of the Hollywood facades, it will make it look even more bland - especially on a grey cold November day when most of those trees are leafless. Ideally they should have added some additional Hollywood theming, neon lights, some fountains, etc. that you can already find in other Disney Hollywood-themed areas.

cjkeating

I really hope it doesn't look that bad in real life, it looks a long empty path 😂
A reveal of a long path down to a castle... where have we seen this before? Oh yes Main Street! :D

The walk shouldn't be completely "empty" as it has the garden performance area, one and eventually two flat rides. Plus lots of trees and gardens and I am sure without checking some food kiosks.

Sir_Cliff

This is yet more information that just makes me curious to see how it works in practice.

I understand wanting to reduce light bleed into the building, but not sure how it will look exiting and then walking around some kind of wall to the "big reveal". Maybe not a huge deal, but it also seems to make crowd flow a little more awkward as people will now not only need to be funnelled through the soundstage doors when entering and exiting the park, but also around this new wall and the Walt statue.

I do appreciate the optimistic comparisons of the new walkway to Main Street USA and the Frozen castle in the far distance to the castle next-door, but so far I am also struggling to imagine anything beyond a long path surrounded by gardens with a few structures close to the exit and then Frozenland way off in the distance. Again, though, very curious to see if they have any concept art that can explain what they at least hope it looks like.

mrflo

In principle both paths (will) lead towards a weenie. The issue is that the Frozen castle is much further away from the Studio 1 exit than the DLP castle from Main Street Station. This is also reflected in the visualisation of the building permit. If you compare both views below, the castle fits perfectly in the spot drawing attention to itself while the Frozen one in WDS is hardly noticeable. Hopefully this will still look better in reality and from a different angle. One of it is a masterclass example of Theme Park design, the other one probably not so much. 🫤

DSC07463.jpg
F2R4he9XUAEoIi6

Image sources: Touringplans.com / DLP Works

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom